Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

We're having puy lentils cottage pie. The twist is that again we're airfrying the potatoes so that they're baked potatoes.

Then scooping out the potatoes to make the mash to top the cottage pie.

Then filling the potato skins with cheese and putting them back in the airfryer for loaded skins. Drool. They were so good. Could obviously be frozen before second airfrying but we wanted them NOW

I think I'm going to do mushroom rice - not the same as the mushroom fried rice that I do to go with a curry, but like this one:

Although I may add some bacon to it.

We're having puy lentils cottage pie. The twist is that again we're airfrying the potatoes so that they're baked potatoes.

Then scooping out the potatoes to make the mash to top the cottage pie.

Then filling the potato skins with cheese and putting them back in the airfryer for loaded skins. Drool. They were so good. Could obviously be frozen before second airfrying but we wanted them NOW

God its been ages since I made loaded skins. I want some now!

Got friends from UK who are arriving about 8.30 tonight so I'm cooking chicken with white beans and 20 cloves of garlic in the oven ( which is the first time I have used the oven since I bought the air fryer last year). Fresh mango and passion fruit with icecream , yoghurt and cream sprinkled with granola for afters.

I found a Lidl creamy mushroom and tarragon pie lurking in the bottom of the freezer, I'd forgotten we had one and they are utterly delicious and OH isn't keen on them so I am eyeing that up as a likely contender for tea tonight.
With some little crispy roasties, peas and gravy. Maybe a Yorkshire pudding, I think I still have some that I made not long ago and froze.

I found a Lidl creamy mushroom and tarragon pie lurking in the bottom of the freezer, I'd forgotten we had one and they are utterly delicious and OH isn't keen on them so I am eyeing that up as a likely contender for tea tonight.
With some little crispy roasties, peas and gravy. Maybe a Yorkshire pudding, I think I still have some that I made not long ago and froze.
I love having random stuff I made frozen, found 6L of chicken stock in a huge pan I thought we lost somehow. So tempted to do the Heston freeze thaw with a muslin bag and have consomme. It was like 6 carcusses in that one. It is a lot to do one in go tho, think I was in nesting mode when I made half of this stuff. We have a ridiculous amount frozen now, fridges bursting and veg patch needing a trim. Maybe some salady thing with poached breast and egg and some bacon bits fried off. Now I have to find out what the hell I grew, mizuni seems to be going bonkers particularly.

I love having random stuff I made frozen, found 6L of chicken stock in a huge pan I thought we lost somehow. So tempted to do the Heston freeze thaw with a muslin bag and have consomme. It was like 6 carcusses in that one. It is a lot to do one in go tho, think I was in nesting mode when I made half of this stuff. We have a ridiculous amount frozen now, fridges bursting and veg patch needing a trim. Maybe some salady thing with poached breast and egg and some bacon bits fried off. Now I have to find out what the hell I grew, mizuni seems to be going bonkers particularly.

I'd like a third freezer! When we moved the new place had a built in fridge freezer which was smaller then we had before, so our old one went in the garage. The fridge bit is mostly used for beer and spuds but both my freezers are normally rammed. I batch cook a lot and if your doing it, it's worth making a lot, but you also need variety. Probably eat pre cooked meals from the freezer 4 nights a week and just do fresh rice or pasta and veg.

I ordered from an online butcher yesterday with a delivery for Thursday as doing a BBQ next weekend, but to get free delivery I needed to spend 50 quid. So need to free some space up somehow.

Anyway slow cooker beef and mashed spuds for me tonight.

I think my ancient slow cooker is being weird. I put my beef on low at lunch and a few hours laters the internal temp was over 70!

I'd like a third freezer! When we moved the new place had a built in fridge freezer which was smaller then we had before, so our old one went in the garage. The fridge bit is mostly used for beer and spuds but both my freezers are normally rammed. I batch cook a lot and if your doing it, it's worth making a lot, but you also need variety. Probably eat pre cooked meals from the freezer 4 nights a week and just do fresh rice or pasta and veg.
I may have a third freezer, lol. Well two fridge freezers and a chest one, basically packed for efficiency regardless of what we have in. Frozen water keeps the temp more consistent if low on anything. Premade stuff I make like 10-15 portions at a go, then freeze the rest. After you do this a few times its very easy to have 40-60 meals put away of 6-10 different types lol. Homemade stock is great stuff for making yet more predone things. Have bagged up mirepoix and holy trinity ready to go, stock in half litre portions, can make a lot with that with little effort and some cheap meat/beans/legumes/etc as wanted.

Slow cookers are awesome, been through two, an instant pot and large 12l air frier now. Oven is basically there for the hobs or massive cooks.

I could really do with a bigger freezer, I've only got a standard under the counter 3 drawer job, and that's not much storage space for someone who likes to batch-cook, buys special offer/multi-buys on meat and fish, have frozen veg to hand, and gets ready meals off the reduced to clear to freeze. Oh and frozen chillies, garlic, and ginger ready to use.

Have bagged up mirepoix and holy trinity ready to go

I really like this idea, would also be a great way to use up bags of carrots/head of celery etc. - do you sautée the ingredients first and then freeze, or just chop and freeze raw?

Back
Top Bottom