Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

In the process of making this (with some extra garlic and a chilli).

Bookmarking this for when this year's plum tomatoes and gigantes beans are ready. Doing the whole lot with homegrown veg and herbs and everything is like the ultimate in homegrown batchcooked smugness (bonus points for tinning instead of freezing the results, I'm not there yet...)

I don't think she means to start with 500g of dried beans. According to my packet, that's 17 portions. :hmm: Nevertheless, that's what I unthinkingly used and have had to rescue the recipe a bit.

Yeah I was thinking that seemed like an awful lot!

Cooked beans do freeze OK so if you end up cooking the whole bag it's not a dire emergency if you have room in the freezer, you can portion them up before adding to the sauce and freeze for use in other recipes - or yeah adjust the rest of the recipe up and freeze portions of the completed dish.

I think tonight I'm going to do a sausage, bacon and mushroom casserole.
Not sure what to accompany - I still have some potato/carrot/swede mash in the freezer, also have a bag of spuds and various types of rice :D

Yeah I was thinking that seemed like an awful lot!

Cooked beans do freeze OK so if you end up cooking the whole bag it's not a dire emergency if you have room in the freezer, you can portion them up before adding to the sauce and freeze for use in other recipes - or yeah adjust the rest of the recipe up and freeze portions of the completed dish.

I always cook these kind of recipes so as I can freeze a few portions. Trouble is I'm not the best at freezer management & there's not exactly loads of space in it at the moment.

Starting the roast late as we both had a late lunch. Enough pork for two right?

PXL_20230730_173314465.MP.jpg

I'll use the rest in the week, but it was this or tiny bits with nothing in between. I prefer Aldi for meat, but had to shop in Asda as needed other bits I couldnt get from Aldi.

Last edited:
I don't think she means to start with 500g of dried beans. According to my packet, that's 17 portions. :hmm: Nevertheless, that's what I unthinkingly used and have had to rescue the recipe a bit.
It seemed sensible to me coz that's the amount of lentils or split peas I do with minimal other ingredients to make dal or soup for just myself for say weekday lunchtimes, but adding one tin of tomatoes or just "four chopped plum tomatoes" to all that is clearly mad.

Starting the roast late as we both had a late lunch. Enough pork for two right?

View attachment 385147

I'll use the rest in the week, but it was this or tiny bits with nothing in between. I prefer Aldi for meat, but had to shop in Asda as needed other bits I couldnt get from Aldi.
Our beef joint yesterday was 700g and there's enough for another meal - so yesI think you have enough 😎

I think tonight I'm going to do a sausage, bacon and mushroom casserole.
Not sure what to accompany - I still have some potato/carrot/swede mash in the freezer, also have a bag of spuds and various types of rice :D

I've a wonderful casserole pot I was bought as a late birthday present. But Ive hardly ever made them. Is the advantage of them over using a slow cooker that you get a crust and other good stuff?

Bookmarking this for when this year's plum tomatoes and gigantes beans are ready. Doing the whole lot with homegrown veg and herbs and everything is like the ultimate in homegrown batchcooked smugness (bonus points for tinning instead of freezing the results, I'm not there yet...)
I also am growing gigantes as I'm quite partial to the tinned ones. Might not be the right year for them though.

Tonight's tea was a somewhat greasy affair of two sausages that needed eating and the leftover spuds from yesterday mixed with a cooked courgette and too much pesto.

I've a wonderful casserole pot I was bought as a late birthday present. But Ive hardly ever made them. Is the advantage of them over using a slow cooker that you get a crust and other good stuff?

I think the main advantage in me having one is that I don't have a slow cooker :D

I have a cast iron enamelled lidded casserole which I got from Lidl - the benefits are it can go on the hob and in the oven, either lid on or off depending upon what you want to achieve - so yeah you can do a variety of things depending upon whether you want the top to brown or to keep the contents moist by keeping the liquid in, start stuff on the hob and then put it in the oven or vice versa. Works on the induction hob too what with it being solid cast iron.

So yeah you could do something topped with cheese and remove the lid for the cheese to bubble and brown a bit, a pot pie, a roast chicken keeping in the moisture then removing the lid for the last bit to crisp up the skin, brown meat on the hob add veggies then move to the oven which works better for some recipes (where you have chicken thighs with skin on and you want the skin to stick out above the liquid and brown in the oven while cooking in the sauce) etc.

Oh also I dunno whether you've seen these insulating bag things that you stick a hot pot into so you only use energy to get the pot and contents to a high temperature on the hob and then move it to an insulated bag or box to continue slow-cooking for the next few hours without using any further energy (it's basically like a hay box type method, suitable for indoors).

A cast iron lidded casserole would be perfect for that.

Pizza place finally reopened after inexplicable holiday so we had the take away promised for last Friday as a treat for my daughter finishing swimming camp and my son getting a spot in the extended maths class for this coming school year 😍 Spent the day decluttering the house then watched a decluttering programme whilst eating said pizza, whilst all feeling very smug :D

Love that dish, I usually have it with Greek roast potatoes or this:

Edit: Here's the potato recipe I like

Going to try this,looks yummy.

Greek meze while I pretend it is sunny instead of pissing it down out there :D

Selection of:
Gigantes plaki
Grilled halloumi
Falafel
Meatballs
Greek roast potatoes
Olive and tomato salad
Mint yoghurt dip

Retsina for me, OH isn't keen but might have an ouzo.

On Saturday I made a Bolognese pasta bake and on Sunday the birthday boy chose an Indian takeaway - there was enough leftover to feed us all again yesterday, with the addition of some fresh rice.

Tonight it's coronation chicken flatties, rice and stir-fried veg.

Back
Top Bottom