Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Last night was various tapas dishes (bought not made). Low key anniversary dinner because we’re going out at the weekend.

Tonight I was kind of hoping he’d suggest a dirty takeaway because we have nothing in but sadly there are sausages that need using.

So we’re going for kid dinner of sausage, beans and chips. 👍

Thank you. I've had a go with szechean pepper and stuff but would curious to see yours. :)

When I'm deep frying the meat in a dry batter I tend to use it to coat the meat rather then swimming in it.

I'm back now, actually had to go to the Chinese/SE Asian supermarket while I was out so this stayed at the forefront of my mind, now I am back I can post it.

It's actually from a subscription website where you can view x number of free recipes then they want you to pay, so naturally I just copied it (I recommend Copy Me That for browser/phone based recipe storage!)

This doesn't bear a huge resemblance to the Chinese/British kung pao takeaway dishes which I think they just use the same sweet and sour sauce that they have on the go for other dishes so it turns out like a sweet and sour with chillies :D

I much prefer this version:

Ingredients
MARINADE

• 2 tsp. Shaoxing wine (substitute dry sherry, sake, or mirin)
  • 2 tsp. light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1" pieces
STIR-FRY
  • 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. light soy sauce
  • 1½ tsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 red pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 8–10 red dried chillies (or ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes)
  • 2 spring onions, chopped
  • 1 fresh chilli, cut into ¼" rings
  • 1 1" piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • ½ tsp. Sichuan peppercorns
  • unsalted peanuts, roasted or toast yourself in oven or wok for a couple of minutes
Steps

MARINADE:
  • Stir wine, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat. Let sit at least 10 minutes or up to 30.

STIR-FRY
  • Stir vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl; set sauce aside.
  • Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high. Add chicken (along with any marinade clinging to it) and cook, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned all over but not cooked through, 3–4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
  • Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high. Add bell pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add dried chillies, spring onions, chilli, ginger, garlic, and Sichuan peppercorns. Cook, tossing constantly, until very aromatic and dried chillies are lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Add chicken and reserved sauce and cook, tossing, until liquid is nearly evaporated and coats chicken, about 1 minute longer. Toss in peanuts. Taste and season lightly with salt if needed.

My own notes:

I replace the peanuts with cashews due to peanut allergy, it works well with those too for a variation.

I do not use anything like as much chilli because I do not have an asbestos mouth, obviously adjust to taste!

I also toast the sichuan peppercorns first in a dry wok and then grind (mortar & pestle or spice grinder)

If you want a bit more sauce you can just add a little water (or cornflour in cold water if you want it thickened a bit) right at the end and stir til you get the consistency you want.

Last edited:
Tonight it's a bit of a use up leftovers night, we have left over egg fried rice and veggie noodles from last night.

So we'll be having some of those each.
For myself I am going to fry a pork chop and do a ginger, garlic and spring onion sauce to go with it, I know that goes lovely with pork.
For OH I will fry a tuna steak and make him a sauce of his choice (probably sweet and sour :D )

EDIT: Change of plan, OH has been asked if he can work tonight and as we need the money he is glad of the extra shift - so he's having a bowl of egg fried rice reheated in the microwave with some hot sauce right before he heads out

Last edited:
I'm back now, actually had to go to the Chinese/SE Asian supermarket while I was out so this stayed at the forefront of my mind, now I am back I can post it.

It's actually from a subscription website where you can view x number of free recipes then they want you to pay, so naturally I just copied it (I recommend Copy Me That for browser/phone based recipe storage!)

This doesn't bear a huge resemblance to the Chinese/British kung pao takeaway dishes which I think they just use the same sweet and sour sauce that they have on the go for other dishes so it turns out like a sweet and sour with chillies :D

I much prefer this version:

Ingredients
MARINADE

• 2 tsp. Shaoxing wine (substitute dry sherry, sake, or mirin)
  • 2 tsp. light soy sauce
  • 1 tsp. cornstarch
  • 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken thighs or breasts, cut into 1" pieces
STIR-FRY
  • 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. light soy sauce
  • 1½ tsp. sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. vegetable oil
  • 1 red pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
  • 8–10 red dried chillies (or ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes)
  • 2 spring onions, chopped
  • 1 fresh chilli, cut into ¼" rings
  • 1 1" piece fresh ginger, peeled, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
  • ½ tsp. Sichuan peppercorns
  • unsalted peanuts, roasted or toast yourself in oven or wok for a couple of minutes
Steps

MARINADE:
  • Stir wine, soy sauce, and cornstarch in a small bowl. Add chicken and turn to coat. Let sit at least 10 minutes or up to 30.

STIR-FRY
  • Stir vinegar, soy sauce, and sugar in a small bowl; set sauce aside.
  • Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick skillet or wok over medium-high. Add chicken (along with any marinade clinging to it) and cook, tossing occasionally, until lightly browned all over but not cooked through, 3–4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
  • Heat remaining 1 Tbsp. oil over medium-high. Add bell pepper and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned and crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add dried chiles, scallions, Fresno chile, ginger, garlic, and peppercorns. Cook, tossing constantly, until very aromatic and dried chiles are lightly toasted, about 1 minute. Add chicken and reserved sauce and cook, tossing, until liquid is nearly evaporated and coats chicken, about 1 minute longer. Toss in peanuts. Taste and season lightly with salt if needed.

My own notes:

I replace the peanuts with cashews due to peanut allergy, it works well with those too for a variation.

I do not use anything like as much chilli because I do not have an asbestos mouth, obviously adjust to taste!

I also toast the sichuan peppercorns first in a dry wok and then grind (mortar & pestle or spice grinder)

If you want a bit more sauce you can just add a little water right at the end and stir til you get the consistency you want.

Perfect, I love a trip to a proper Chinese supermarket. Lucky to have Wing Yip not a million miles from me. I've got all the cupboard ingredients in stock, so will certainly be trying this soon as a healthy version of what I might have cooked.

Edit. Sizchen peppercorns need to be doubled. :p

Oh I'm going to have a play with the copy me that app. I do really like Paprika but I resent the idea I've got to pay seperatly for windows and android versions and I'm more likely to browse for recipes on my PC and use my phone in the kitchen.

Perfect, I love a trip to a proper Chinese supermarket. Lucky to have Wing Yip not a million miles from me. I've got all the cupboard ingredients in stock, so will certainly be trying this soon as a healthy version of what I might have cooked.

Edit. Sizchen peppercorns need to be doubled. :p

For years I had to go into Stratford to the supermarket in the old shopping centre, but not long ago we had Tian Tian open up right across from our local Morrison's which is extremely useful and saves a trip further afield (not that Stratford is that far, but I don't do my regular grocery shopping there so it used to be a separate trip specifically to get Chinese/SE Asian ingredients at a more reasonable quantity/price than the tidgy little bottles and packs of things you get in the world foods section of most big UK supermarkets.

For years I had to go into Stratford to the supermarket in the old shopping centre, but not long ago we had Tian Tian open up right across from our local Morrison's which is extremely useful and saves a trip further afield (not that Stratford is that far, but I don't do my regular grocery shopping there so it used to be a separate trip specifically to get Chinese/SE Asian ingredients at a more reasonable quantity/price than the tidgy little bottles and packs of things you get in the world foods section of most big UK supermarkets.

It's not just the size as I could live with that at a push, but it's the flavour. Like the first time I got proper dark soy sauce and realized it's a totally different product. Or oyster sauce is more like a concentrate.

Oh I'm going to have a play with the copy me that app. I do really like Paprika but I resent the idea I've got to pay seperatly for windows and android versions and I'm more likely to browse for recipes on my PC and use my phone in the kitchen.

Copy Me That is excellent, there's no limit on the number of recipes you can have on the free version, and you can have the same synched on different devices so you can have it on your PC and the same on your phone or tablet app to use in the kitchen (it also stops the screen going dark while you have a recipe up which is useful).

The premium version is a one-off payment and allows extra features like creating shopping lists for different shops, and a better filing system so you can organise your recipes a bit better, but tbh the search facility is good anyway and you can add tags which you can then search for to help you find recipes in different categories - so the free version is excellent and very useable, I've never felt like I'd have to go premium, it really is just a little bit of extra functionality on top rather than unlocking core features.

It's not just the size as I could live with that at a push, but it's the flavour. Like the first time I got proper dark soy sauce and realized it's a totally different product. Or oyster sauce is more like a concentrate.

Aye, such a better range to choose from, and a lot of stuff you simply can't get elsewhere, I was so pleased that a place opened up more locally.

Copy Me That is excellent, there's no limit on the number of recipes you can have on the free version, and you can have the same synched on different devices so you can have it on your PC and the same on your phone or tablet app to use in the kitchen (it also stops the screen going dark while you have a recipe up which is useful).

The premium version is a one-off payment and allows extra features like creating shopping lists for different shops, and a better filing system so you can organise your recipes a bit better, but tbh the search facility is good anyway and you can add tags which you can then search for to help you find recipes in different categories - so the free version is excellent and very useable, I've never felt like I'd have to go premium, it really is just a little bit of extra functionality on top rather than unlocking core features.

I've downloaded a few recipes and I think it's way easier with the browser extension on the PC and have them appear on the app. Maybe I'm blind but it doesn't have the option to convert between measurement units, but I can live with that.

Aye, such a better range to choose from, and a lot of stuff you simply can't get elsewhere, I was so pleased that a place opened up more locally.

Oh for sure, there's Thai and Indonesian style sauces that are made from soy, but aren't quite soy sauce that I love and various chilli bean based ones that are also good for Szechuan style recipes.

Plus silly stuff like some of the random frozen foods and it's easy it buy pork ribs and other cuts, which are hard in both Aldi and Asda which are my two main supermarkets.

Al dente chickpeas.
I thought it was time I started getting through my dried pulses....
Somewhat out of practice - just as well they're not kidney beans...

A tiny slow cooker is the best purchase I got for these. It felt like an indulgence as I already had a huge one, but it was a tenner and it's far less faff then the pressure cooker.

Think your fine with al dente kidney beans provided they've had a few mins of proper boiling?

Did a sticky beef with stir fried veg and jasmin rice thingy. Used some ketjip manis and a bit of honey plus garlic. It turned out lush, quite pleased with myself and even got some frozen leftovers in a freezer.

That sounds gorgeous!

A tad unusual for it to be stew weather in July, but it is what it is - I've been making the most of it with some hearty sausage casseroles over the last few weeks!
I recommend the Hairy Bikers' sausage and butter bean casserole, works well with veggie sausages too which I do for OH (he likes either Quorn or Richmond meat-free best).

Harissa chicken ready meal that I bought because it was reduced and I thought I'd want something quick and easy after jiu jitsu, only I didn't go because the calf worked out how to escape and I was dealing with that instead, and now I'm in and have time to cook but it really needs eating. Meh. Smug homegrown cucumber to go with it, at least.

Back
Top Bottom