Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I'm not sure it's possible to make authentic Mexican food in the UK, the ingredients seems really hard to source. Sounds great though.

I remember watching a Netflix documentary about taco al pastor when recovering from a long run once and have wanted to visit Mexico ever since just to eat them!

I want momos, my local Nepalese restaurant even offered to teach me how to make them and I said great then promptly did nothing to take them up on it. Of course that would mean getting up to make them. Idk why this valuable teaching opportunity was passed up by laziness.....

So it's some random freezer stuff. We have so much that needs eating and I'm getting annoyed at spending every week when we have stuff in. There's weeks of food there. We have bills. How about eating what's there

I'm not sure it's possible to make authentic Mexican food in the UK, the ingredients seems really hard to source. Sounds great though.

I remember watching a Netflix documentary about taco al pastor when recovering from a long run once and have wanted to visit Mexico ever since just to eat them!
Mexgrocer have a lot of good stuff.

So it's some random freezer stuff. We have so much that needs eating and I'm getting annoyed at spending every week when we have stuff in. There's weeks of food there. We have bills. How about eating what's there

I feel this. It's actually become easier as I have less time, but practical as batch cooking is, it only works well for certain types of meal. I've compromised that I mostly cook on weekends and use the freezer in the week.

Mexgrocer have a lot of good stuff.

This is going to be one of these rabbit holes I end up spending loads to get free delivery isn't it? :D

From my understanding (gained from TV) it's also about the wonderful variety of fresh ingredients that they have cheaply and freely available. I also suspect this is why I'm rarely impressed by Thai food in the UK.

I feel this. It's actually become easier as I have less time, but practical as batch cooking is, it only works well for certain types of meal. I've compromised that I mostly cook on weekends and use the freezer in the week.
This is going to be one of these rabbit holes I end up spending loads to get free delivery isn't it? :D

From my understanding (gained from TV) it's also about the wonderful variety of fresh ingredients that they have cheaply and freely available. I also suspect this is why I'm rarely impressed by Thai food in the UK.
Let's say I bought 5kg of jalapeños as a small part of my last order....

Freezer wise tho we have 40 odd meals in a 500ml freezer container (chili's, multiple indian/bangladeshi curries/curry/pulled pork/rice I froze/many things without labels which lead to a texan chili lasagne!) That's without any rice/pasta/whatever. Meat and veg only. I have about 10l of stock frozen. 5kg
of frozen chopped onions, peppers or celery. To make holy trinity/soffrito/mire poix as needed. 2l of tomato sauce. 10kg of chicken breast/bone in and out thigh and leg on offers, random cheap frozen stuff. Want to do a stock to consommé defrost but I somehow lost my muslin?

I also had a headache and cba but as I had some Vietnamese style dressing left over from feeding the band rice noodle salad on Monday I made another one. It was delicious and I feel very well nourished now.

Had prawns on it this time, on Monday I did fried tofu which was excellent.

I have bookmarked my own post from a few pages back for the dressing recipe. It's possibly the summer equivalent of my cba gyoza with miso soup.

Let's say I bought 5kg of jalapeños as a small part of my last order....

Freezer wise tho we have 40 odd meals in a 500ml freezer container (chili's, multiple indian/bangladeshi curries/curry/pulled pork/rice I froze/many things without labels which lead to a texan chili lasagne!) That's without any rice/pasta/whatever. Meat and veg only. I have about 10l of stock frozen. 5kg
of frozen chopped onions, peppers or celery. To make holy trinity/soffrito/mire poix as needed. 2l of tomato sauce. 10kg of chicken breast/bone in and out thigh and leg on offers, random cheap frozen stuff. Want to do a stock to consommé defrost but I somehow lost my muslin?

Chillies freeze really well :D
I just put them in a bag whole and freeze them.

5kg is a fuck of a lot of chillies though, I'm struggling to visualise it, I am thinking about heavy things I buy and I normally get 2.5kg bags of spuds so I reckon you are going to get a LOT of chillies :eek: I mean chillies individually don't weigh a lot, it's going to be like a sack of chillies I reckon.

We will need photos...

Chillies freeze really well :D
I just put them in a bag whole and freeze them.

5kg is a fuck of a lot of chillies though, I'm struggling to visualise it, I am thinking about heavy things I buy and I normally get 2.5kg bags of spuds so I reckon you are going to get a LOT of chillies :eek: I mean chillies individually don't weigh a lot, it's going to be like a sack of chillies I reckon.

We will need photos...
It was actually tinned jalapeños, so a bit less. I made so many poppers and had jalapeño pickling juice for a long time to add as acids to various meals. Draining and freezing when it arrived would have made way more sense than knocking out an oven full tho lol.

It was actually tinned jalapeños, so a bit less. I made so many poppers and had jalapeño pickling juice for a long time to add as acids to various meals. Draining and freezing when it arrived would have made way more sense than knocking out an oven full tho lol.

Oh if they are pickled or preserved in liquid of some sort that changes things :D I was imagining you with a massive bag of fresh chillies :D

I have bookmarked my own post from a few pages back for the dressing recipe. It's possibly the summer equivalent of my cba gyoza with miso soup.
A cba gyoza? How's that work? Once I did the dough and filling it took half the day and I had to do 80+ to feel it was worth it. What's your secret!

Oh if they are pickled or preserved in liquid of some sort that changes things :D I was imagining you with a massive bag of fresh chillies :D
Oh we did that too, Chinese/Thai supermarket (the only one in like 50 miles!) Has 1kg of dried chili's so we get 5 types and freeze off. I just can't go there more than twice a year or the credit card objects really quite strongly via demands for payment.

Not going to cook tea tonight, I really don't feel I have the wherewithal.

Might have some toast and marmite or an egg sarnie later, if I fancy it.

Not going to cook tea tonight, I really don't feel I have the wherewithal.

Might have some toast and marmite or an egg sarnie later, if I fancy it.
Lol same I've spent so long on the shopping list for Friday I don't care now. Probably garlic naan pizza since the naans need using.

Lol same I've spent so long on the shopping list for Friday I don't care now. Probably garlic naan pizza since the naans need using.

Yeah there's like a tipping point mid way through the evening where no matter how enthusiastic you felt beforehand, if you haven't actually cracked on with it by that point, it's not happening and your appetite diminishes.

I feel like this is how deliveroo/UberEats make their money btw, there's that window between "can't be arsed to cook" and "I no longer feel hungry" and that is basically their business model. :D

Ah we have one of those in a 50 mile radius so a 24 pack (I think) is something like £15. Something way more than doing it myself anyway.
They're not massively cheap (but not £15) but per meal it works out reasonable, factoring in the convenience. Sainsbury's now have frozen Itsu ones too which are ok, £3.75 for 12 on offer atm.

They're not massively cheap (but not £15) but per meal it works out reasonable, factoring in the convenience. Sainsbury's now have frozen Itsu ones too which are ok, £3.75 for 12 on offer atm.
Sounds about right lol I went to Sainsburys for the first time in years today and did not see them, tho ours is a bit shite and we were trying to get just essentials since Tesco delivery comes Friday. Weird about food costs sometimes, £3.75 for 12 is not bad at all, especially with some rice and some seasonings or sauces thats a decent meal for 2. Yet the nearly £4 thing in my head says thats too much for one and ignores portion sizes and cheaper add ons. Even if I paid £10 for 12 momos before at a takeaway. Making at home my brain says well dough is negligible, filling is what £4 in pork mince and £2 in other stuff being generous and that makes loads. Way less than the freezer deal, huge amounts less than the takeaway, yet I mainly do the top or the bottom option, but could do the middle one multiple times for what I spend on average.

Szechuan pork mince. It's one of my favourite week nights meals when I'm not eating batch cooked meals from the freezer. Super quick, but so much flavour (I'd like more chilli, but my partner complains that I've burnt my taste buds off, so I have to add hot sauce). I've also got a khlrabi in the veg box which I don't have much experience cooking, so I'm going to see how well that stir fries.

Being quite organised and preparing some chicken legs to marinade tandoori for tomorrow night.

Edit: I've just noticed that Asda's pork mince has a lot more fat then Aldi's. Sub optimal for tonight as the dish doesn't need it, but I'd given up trying to make make meatballs for pasta sauce as they end up to dry, but this might be the ticket for when I've got more time for proper cooking :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom