Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

All went tits up, decided to just cook off beef mince in air frier to match eldest getting back from work as late shift. May have some loose burgery things with lots of everything else, plus I have a mini pasty that wasn't frozen and is now covered in beef fat. I shall fall asleep soon after.

Pork chop, small crispy roast potatoes (done in the air fryer), fried mushrooms, peas
Edit: Glass of merlot, and if I remember, a Yorkshire pud that I made last week and froze - almost a proper Sunday roast :)

Last edited:
Any pics of the burger?

No, I scoffed it then thought I should have taken a photo!

It was from the Singer Tavern in Shoreditch (just south of Old Street tube) - bit expensive (in the range that often raises my eyebrows for a burger!) but eating out is what it is these days, we met up there with OH's step-sister who was in that area for a work meeting.

I had what they call a "smash burger" which reassuringly had nothing to do with instant mash :D but apparently refers to the method of forming the patty where it's just pushed onto the griddle with a spatula instead of shaped in a burger press (ie. what I would call a home-made burger :D ). It had 2 beef patties, double cheese, gherkin slices, burger sauce and onions in a brioche bun. It was absolutely delicious and juicy, really good burger. OH had the plant-based burger and said that was really good too. Both served with skin-on fries that were really delicious and crispy.

Won't be doing that every day but we don't go out that often and an occasional treat is nice. The rest of the menu looked good too and overall not insanely expensive these days, I'd consider going back for a mid-price gastro-ish pub grub type meal.

Last edited:
We're doing a whole chicken on a roast pan in the komado grill. All very experimental for us as we're trying out a Meater thermometer too. The app says it's got 1h left to cook. :hmm: 🤞

We're having roast potatoes with garlic and onions, salad and bread rolls.

Got a apple pastry and custard for pudding.

We're doing a whole chicken on a roast pan in the komado grill. All very experimental for us as we're trying out a Meater thermometer too. The app says it's got 1h left to cook. :hmm: 🤞

We're having roast potatoes with garlic and onions, salad and bread rolls.

Got a apple pastry and custard for pudding.

There are words in this post I am going to have to google :D

(Ah right so a BBQ type thing, and obvs a thermometer to make sure meat reaches the right temp - oooh app based, so you stick it in the meat and then just read the temp off your phone? Nice!)

There are words in this post I am going to have to google :D

(Ah right so a BBQ type thing, and obvs a thermometer to make sure meat reaches the right temp - oooh app based, so you stick it in the meat and then just read the temp off your phone? Nice!)
Yup, that's right. 7 minutes left. I'm not sure I trust it. :hmm:

Screenshot_20230716_185034.jpg

Yup, that's right. 7 minutes left. I'm not sure I trust it. :hmm:

View attachment 383476

I'd treat this as a test run - do the usual checks as well to make sure it's fully cooked :D

I've never done it by temperature, but doesn't it need to be at the target temp for x amount of time rather than just hitting it briefly then good to go? Or does the app take account of that.

EDIT: I've googled and am seeing once it reaches internal temperature of 75C is good to go. So used to my oven at this point but if I was cooking by a new method I would probably want a thermometer.

Squash and sage filled tortellini, huge salad, garlic bread. Cherry crumble for afters thanks to 3kg of cherries from the haggle shelf: added plenty of ground almonds to the crumble mmmm.

Love reaction especially for the cherry crumble with almonds - cherries are one of my favourite fruits (both to eat fresh and in desserts!) and they do go very well with almonds.
3kg cherries, nice find! :)

I've been fasting since yesterday lunchtime for some dam medical thing this afternoon and I'm certainly feeling peckish (and very empty).

Fancy some dirty fast food when it's all over with. Maybe a chicken burger with wings on the side. :)

We ended up with:

Kung pao chicken for me, prawn version for OH (both with cashews instead of peanuts due to my allergy)
Sweet & sour veggie noodles (no bright orange sauce involved! Vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, Shaoxing wine)
Egg fried rice

Actually I really fancy Chinese tonight, but I'm often disappointed by takeaways for the quality of the food and how much I end up spending. Last time I got kung po from a place near work I was horrified how sweet it was and how much of the sweet sauce there was. Like a light coating would have been fine.

Need to focus on doing more healthy ones at home. I got pretty good with my deep fat frier, but that's currently drained of oil and sat in a cupboard until I sort my life out enough to do the exercise to justify it.

Actually I really fancy Chinese tonight, but I'm often disappointed by takeaways for the quality of the food and how much I end up spending. Last time I got kung po from a place near work I was horrified how sweet it was and how much of the sweet sauce there was. Like a light coating would have been fine.

Need to focus on doing more healthy ones at home. I got pretty good with my deep fat frier, but that's currently drained of oil and sat in a cupboard until I sort my life out enough to do the exercise to justify it.

I'm about to go out shopping, when I get back I'll post up the recipe I use for kung pao - it's certainly not drowning in sticky sweet sauce like a lot of takeaway versions are, I much prefer this one - remind me later if I haven't posted it up, if you're looking for something a bit less sickly then I reckon the one I use will suit!

I'm about to go out shopping, when I get back I'll post up the recipe I use for kung pao - it's certainly not drowning in sticky sweet sauce like a lot of takeaway versions are, I much prefer this one - remind me later if I haven't posted it up, if you're looking for something a bit less sickly then I reckon the one I use will suit!

Thank you. I've had a go with szechean pepper and stuff but would curious to see yours. :)

When I'm deep frying the meat in a dry batter I tend to use it to coat the meat rather then swimming in it.

Back
Top Bottom