Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Epona here's basically what I do. It does change a bit every time I make it and I eyeball most of the ingredients. I serve it with rice or make a chow mein out of it.

Ingredients

Pork or Turkey mince
Szechuan peppercorns
Black pepper
Garlic
Ginger
Chillis or Chilli flakes (or both)
5 Spice (I don't like most supermarket stuff it's got to much star anise, so leave this out if you don't like that)
Stir Fry Veg (Pepper, onions, mushrooms etc)
Oyster Sauce
Hoisin Sauce
Dark & Light Soy
Fish Sauce (optional, it's kind of marmite and I can't imagine any dish cooked in Szechuan having this)
Chilli bean paste if you have it (definitely a Chinese supermarket ingredient)
Siracha or similar
MSG

Method

It's worth doing most of the prep before hand as it cooks so quickly. I normally stick my rice on when is I start preparing the veg.

I cook the veg and meat separately because even the big hob I've got doesn't kick out enough heat.

Stir fry the veg, even less then you might normally do.

Put them in a bowl out the way and wipe the wok

Add the ginger, garlic, whole Szechuan pepper corns and chilli's and cook briefly.

Add meat to pan. Put a pinch of 5 spice on and stir in as it cooks. If you've got an electric spice grinder or can be bothered to grind by hand, then I like to add freshly ground szechan peppers and black pepper for extra oomph. MSG if that's your thing.

When the meat is nicely browned add the veg back, I undercooked it in the first step as it will cook a bit more now.

Add the sauces. I tend to go quite heavy with the oyster and dark soy sauce. Hoisin gives a slight sweetness, but I don't use to much as my partner doesn't like sweet food, I like it as a contrast to the heat.

Serve and hopefully enjoy. :)

Epona here's basically what I do. It does change a bit every time I make it and I eyeball most of the ingredients. I serve it with rice or make a chow mein out of it.

Ingredients

Pork or Turkey mince
Szechuan peppercorns
Black pepper
Garlic
Ginger
Chillis or Chilli flakes (or both)
5 Spice (I don't like most supermarket stuff it's got to much star anise, so leave this out if you don't like that)
Stir Fry Veg (Pepper, onions, mushrooms etc)
Oyster Sauce
Hoisin Sauce
Dark & Light Soy
Fish Sauce (optional, it's kind of marmite and I can't imagine any dish cooked in Szechuan having this)
Chilli bean paste if you have it (definitely a Chinese supermarket ingredient)
Siracha or similar
MSG

Method

It's worth doing most of the prep before hand as it cooks so quickly. I normally stick my rice on when is I start preparing the veg.

I cook the veg and meat separately because even the big hob I've got doesn't kick out enough heat.

Stir fry the veg, even less then you might normally do.

Put them in a bowl out the way and wipe the wok

Add the ginger, garlic, whole Szechuan pepper corns and chilli's and cook briefly.

Add meat to pan. Put a pinch of 5 spice on and stir in as it cooks. If you've got an electric spice grinder or can be bothered to grind by hand, then I like to add freshly ground szechan peppers and black pepper for extra oomph. MSG if that's your thing.

When the meat is nicely browned add the veg back, I undercooked it in the first step as it will cook a bit more now.

Add the sauces. I tend to go quite heavy with the oyster and dark soy sauce. Hoisin gives a slight sweetness, but I don't use to much as my partner doesn't like sweet food, I like it as a contrast to the heat.

Serve and hopefully enjoy. :)

Thank you, that sounds delicious!

Tandoori style chicken drumsticks, a dahl from the freezer and some little new potatoes I'm going to par boil in a turmeric stock thing and roast.

I'm slightly cursed by spuds at the moment. We've signed up for a veg box and we keep getting them. I don't actually make that many meals that feature potatoes. I mean love steak and spuds, but that feels like a bit of luxury to do to often. I've got my home cured gammon/bacon stuff though that also works with them, should probably put another batch on.

Garlic and Coriander Naan Pizza with a homemade and then defrosted pizza sauce, Chorizo, German Salami, Pepperoni, Cheddar and Mozzarella. One with some chili flakes on one without.

Tonight was delivery day so I will have to have a look through, think I planned to make something then did not buy any proteins. So that's defrosting boobs or leg parts then hoping I can be bothered to cook on Sunday/Monday when its likely done depending on the fridge. May just cook off a huge pile of it in the future, salad beds are growing well so could have stuff to make a chicken fat mayo with crispy skin, meat and random leaves, bit of cheese of whatever kind etc.

I'm trying to cook Pastitsio after reading about on this thread recently.

Sadly can't be that authentic as I've got to make it turkey mince, but I'm intrested in meat spiced with cinnamon and cloves and the very thick bechamel type sauce.

Frustratingly Aldi didn't have any small bottles of red wine so it will have to be without that as well :(

Last edited:
I'm making a quorn and bean chilli for OH - some for before he goes to work and he can have the rest tomorrow.

For myself, a bit later once OH has gone to work, I am going to try the Szechuan pork mince we were discussing above, with some noodles (although I may change my mind and have rice, I like noodles well enough but my love affair with rice has never dulled!)

I'm making a quorn and bean chilli for OH - some for before he goes to work and he can have the rest tomorrow.

For myself, a bit later once OH has gone to work, I am going to try the Szechuan pork mince we were discussing above, with some noodles (although I may change my mind and have rice, I like noodles well enough but my love affair with rice has never dulled!)

Certainty my favourite carb. I probably eat it 5 times a week :D

Certainty my favourite carb. I probably eat it 5 times a week :D

For sure, rice by a long way, then pasta for me.

I find myself less enamoured with potatoes these days and I feel sure it is because most places you can only buy them in bags, and I'm not keen on some of these "all rounder" varieties that have nice looking smooth skins for shelf appeal and long shelf life but are a bit too waxy for what I tend to use potatoes for (roasties and chips mostly or occasionally mash) and are just a bit "meh" all round (marfona, lanorma etc.) Try buying the right quantity of good roasting potatoes (Maris Piper or King Edwards) for one meal!

It's probably alright for people who have a larder or somewhere cool and dark to store potatoes, but for me a 2.5kg bag needs a few days of use planned before they start sprouting or going green, and I struggle to maintain interest in potatoes for long enough. :oops:

For sure, rice by a long way, then pasta for me.

I find myself less enamoured with potatoes these days and I feel sure it is because most places you can only buy them in bags, and I'm not keen on some of these "all rounder" varieties that have nice looking smooth skins for shelf appeal and long shelf life but are a bit too waxy for what I tend to use potatoes for (roasties and chips mostly or occasionally mash) and are just a bit "meh" all round (marfona, lanorma etc.) Try buying the right quantity of good roasting potatoes (Maris Piper or King Edwards) for one meal!

It's probably alright for people who have a larder or somewhere cool and dark to store potatoes, but for me a 2.5kg bag needs a few days of use planned before they start sprouting or going green, and I struggle to maintain interest in potatoes for long enough. :oops:

100%

I actually keep washed spuds in the fridge now. Bit weird but they sprout so fast. Obviously dirty ones don't have this issue.

When my partner ran her own veg box scheme, I loved alouette potato's, but they aren't a common variety.

I could eat pasta most days, but it's probably best I don't.

Back
Top Bottom