Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Roast root veg, honey glazed roast ham, roast mutton, cabbage baked with apple, carrot & swede mash, two kinds of gravy. Homemade sourdough to mop up.
Cottage pie with a big piece of butter melted on top.
Bowl of the lamb gravy.

I'm on a farm course with all meals provided and other people have brought some of their own produce, so we've been eating fucking amazing food all week.

Baked teriyaki tofu and cauliflower, with jasmine rice and green beans. Google tea due to having tofu and cauliflower.

It was ok, it worked, and the timings weren't as unrealistic as I'd thought. Bit underwhelming though. Needed more sauce and more flavour in the sauce, star anise or 5 spice. I think I would just stir fry it next time, the baking wasn't that much of a win.

Sneaky strawberries for pud - I spotted some strawbs in the garden that had grown without my knowledge.

Aye, garlic butter arms too.

I have an issue (probably ASD related) with the sensation of greasy hands so if I go for that option it can involve cutlery (hears burger crew do a sharp intake of breath!) :oops:
Use cutlery it's fine, we're too busy cleaning the grease up we got on the newest t shirt we own anyway but randomly ended up cooking in.

Sunday post i left a tab open for some reason on.

I sort of ate as I went along lol. Made 6l of stock, cooked rice with the stock. Did a Mexican ish style thing with 2kg chicken breast, 1kg pork, 2kg peppers, used a tomato base out the freezer, stock, 2.4kg kidney beans, 5 different chili's, jalapeño pickling juice, etc.

Roasted garlic chicken legs with gravy, spicy wedges and couple of white buttered breadcakes for buttys.

Got some heavily reduced strawberries on the way home from work (wouldn't have bought them otherwise) so them with a bit of ice-cream.

I've no idea what this is but I haven't tried it so now want it.
Like a big flat chocolate bar shaped curry stock cube. Fry some ingredients, add water, break a bit off your curry roux block and add to make the whole thing into curry sauce. Add a little squirt of soy sauce, tiniest bit of sugar and a vegetable stock cube and it’s perfect. 80g of curry roux in 420ml water does 2-3 portions

I also sneak some MSG into mine, and thicken the sauce at the end with potato starch, but those are strictly optional.

The two brands worth trying are the House Java Curry shown in the pic (which I prefer) and S&B Golden Curry, which is more widely available.

Like a big flat chocolate bar shaped curry stock cube. Fry some ingredients, add water, break a bit off your curry roux block and add to make the whole thing into curry sauce. Add a little squirt of soy sauce, tiniest bit of sugar and a vegetable stock cube and it’s perfect. 80g of curry roux in 420ml water does 2-3 portions

I also sneak some MSG into mine, and thicken the sauce at the end with potato starch, but those are strictly optional.

The two brands worth trying are the House Java Curry shown in the pic (which I prefer) and S&B Golden Curry, which is more widely available.
Misread it and thought it was javanese curry lol which I'd not tried. Worth giving Japanese one another go tho. Made one before but not either of those brands and not with the extra bits, have all of that but potato starch and sugar already.

Last edited:
I feel even worse today and OH is waiting for a call from the GP (he's been trying to get through to them since Monday and today hauled himself out of bed and staggered down the the surgery at 8am, now waiting for a call back).

Unless I make some sort of miraculous recovery this afternoon, I have a feeling that tea might be fish finger sarnies.

At least I haven't lost my appetite, just feel like crap and no energy to cook.

Oh that's not good Epona - some kind of virus do you think?

Honestly just feels like a bad cold, but it's set my neuralgia off due to sinus congestion and I've not slept well because of that. I've cancelled everything this week and no plans to go anywhere. There's no fever or aching or anything.
OH got a call back from the GP who wants to see him in person later today - he often gets complications due to his respiratory conditions, but I'm surprised they want him spluttering all over the surgery tbh rather than dealing with it over the phone.

Bolognese from the freezer we'll eat that with Garofalo gluten free linguine later on - I make it in the slow cooker so it's lush. I need to get back into batch cooking, now the madness of the past few weeks (parental health crises) have subsided. I sort of started today by making 12 gluten free veggie sausage rolls, they are quick to do -I've frozen most of them uncooked they can be bunged in the air fryer as needed.

I did a chicken sarnie (sliced chicken out of a pack) for myself, and a fish finger sarnie for OH.

I think that will be it for tonight - I mean I am kind of fantasising about food and all the things I would like to eat but raging headache, sinus pain, and facial neuralgia along with lack of sleep are really putting me off moving so I think I'll get an early night and hopefully feel a bit better tomorrow!

I owe myself a chicken paella (and a seafood one for OH) and I am determined to make one as soon as I feel the slightest bit recovered! So hopefully soon.

I'll be cooking tonight anyway, so it's broccoli/avocado/black bean/peanut/chilli/lime traybake with brown rice.
Nope, didn't fancy it last night. Made spaghetti with evoo, chilli, garlic, black olives, sundried toms and parmesan instead last night.

Fella's offered to make potato salad with mushroom and cheese frittata and salad tonight.

I might make some walnut vegan brownies for pudding.

Last edited:
I'm wary of speaking too soon, but I feel loads better today (well at least my head doesn't feel as if it is going to explode if I move it, which is a step forward from yesterday! Glands still up but not as painful and I can now swallow, bit bunged up but nothing like the last few days, breathing is better too) and I desperately want some home cooked comfort food -

so I think tonight a nice easy and comforting pasta dish is in order, probably an amatriciana which is one of my favourites and nice and easy to do. With some fresh basil and some garlic bread. OH has been medicated up to the eyeballs for his secondary chest infection and is also feeling much better and going back to work, so I'll do him an arrabbiata to have when he gets home in the morning.

I'll be cooking tonight anyway, so it's broccoli/avocado/black bean/peanut/chilli/lime traybake with brown rice.
Right, deffo this tonight! On the hottest day of the week so far, a fucking oven bake :rolleyes: Broccoli will go off otherwise though.

Vegan walnut brownies with a decaff coffee for afters. I don't like them as much as buttery ones, and I realised that it's cos I use salted butter, and these are lacking that salty tang. They're good, but not great. Anyway, one of them with a bundle of defrosted raspberries.

I'm still in comfort food mode so I think I'm going to do a sausage and butter bean casserole.
I have some tubs of microwaveable potato/swede/carrot mash in the freezer that I got off the reduced to clear so maybe one of those with it, or maybe some plain rice.
Will do a meat-free Richmonds version for OH to have with a jacket potato or rice or pasta in the morning (he hates swede so won't want one of my tubs of mash :D ).

Back
Top Bottom