Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Venison chilli and rice.
It was going to be a venison shepherd's pie, but it's too hot to have the oven on.

I know everyone hates it when I post with my cottage pie variant pedant hat on, but I am going to suggest deerhunter's pie as a good name for what you had intended!
It does sound lush, but yes definitely a winter dish.

Chilli sounds good, should be nice and rich. The other thing I do with venison that is hob only is an Italian style ragu which goes excellently with thick ribbon pasta ie. pappardelle type thing, or tagliatelle - something robust in terms of pasta to go with that sauce. Hmmm, been a while since I had venison, I'll have to keep an eye out for special offers in Morrisons.

Should be excellent in a chilli for sure.

I think next time I get some venison (this thread does this to me!!! I can't stop thinking about what other people are having!) I think I'll do a pastry based pie, I don't think I've ever had that with venison in it, a shortcrust pie would work really well in the winter with some mashed root veg. Maybe as the day 2 part of a venison stew, stew with herby dumplings day 1, day 2 turn the remains into a pie. 🤤

Salad was epic. Rice noodles, lettuce, cucumber, carrots, fried up some peanuts and frozen prawns. Then the dressing was sriracha, lime juice, maple syrup, soy sauce, ginger, garlic and sesame oil. Haven't been able to stop craving sriracha since I heard it was in short supply :rolleyes:

Totally forgot the mint which I have tons of :facepalm:

So far, a battered cod, we will see later depending on level of alcohol consumption v my ability to make it downstairs with a variable of whether I make it out for a smoke/come back in and forgot I had food.

Chicken breast wrapped in bacon (cold, I made 4 last night), couple of boiled new potatoes, steamed broccoli, courgette and runner beans, and a heap of homemade coleslaw. Vegan cornetto after. Fell asleep on the sofa for 2 hours at 7 after an unplanned late shift on top of my early so we ate late.

Chicken fried rice with spring onions and other veg tonight, now things have calmed down I'm getting back in my groove, I'm working in the granny flat at my parents house today (this is where my office is), Can't work Mon/Tues because I'm away. I've steamed some rice in chicken stock, it's now sitting there steaming itself in the pan, covered in tea towels. I've taken some roast chicken out of the freezer, I'm gonna prep the veg here too and take it all home tonight and cook it up. I'm too tired for food prep by the time I get home, so if we eat something like this it gets prepped before lunchtime.

Rump steak, fries, peas, fried mushrooms. My usual red wine and mustard reduction to get all the bits off the bottom of the pan. Might caramelise some onion as well to include in the sauce.
Glass of merlot.

Must have a proper Sunday roast soon though, I start getting Sunday roast pangs when I've not had one for a while! Maybe next weekend.

Back
Top Bottom