Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Couple of veggie sausages in weirdly sweet brioche rolls with gherkins and ketchup. Salad of cherry tomatoes and sprouts of various seeds.

Vanilla ice cream with blackcurrant sauce.

Turned out that OH had brought home some leftover spicy chicken pizza for me that was ordered in for someone leaving his work last night - so I had that cold and don't feel the need to cook anything in addition to that.

Last edited:
Another NYT recipe. Dumpling tomato salad with chile crisp vinaigrette. Sounds a bit strange I know but was actually really good, light and required minimal prep on a warm evening. I used frozen vegetable gyozas from Aldi and Laoganma crispy chilli oil. 🔥😎

OH wants a traybake with halloumi, courgette, red onion, red pepper, small potatoes, chilli flakes and herbs.

So I'm going to have some of that veg, but he'll get all the halloumi and I'm going to have a rump steak.

Sauce to go with will be a mint yoghurt dressing for him and a red wine and mustard reduction in the pan the steak was cooked in for me.

Edit: Oh I have mushrooms too, I'd have to be daft not to fry up a few of those to go with my meal!

Dinner did happen eventually (OH typically has Monday and Tuesday nights off so this is our weekend and sometimes things get a bit boozy :D )

I was very satisfied that my rump steak off the reduced to clear was much nicer and cooked more in accordance with what I wanted (I tend to go medium rare) and more tender than one I had when my parents took me out and paid for lunch out recently.

Last night was lamb leg steak marinaded in garlic/chilli/lemon/mint then griddled, with jersey royals, cabbage and peas. I did two steaks, the second one I've just sliced up over a salad for my lunch.

Tonight, kiddo is back after a week away so I'll let her choose. I'm guessing she'll want a home-food classic so got the makings for spag bol, roast chicken, and lamb chops (really hoping she doesn't pick these :D) in. Knowing my girl though, she'll want beans on toast <3

Dinner did happen eventually (OH typically has Monday and Tuesday nights off so this is our weekend and sometimes things get a bit boozy :D )

I was very satisfied that my rump steak off the reduced to clear was much nicer and cooked more in accordance with what I wanted (I tend to go medium rare) and more tender than one I had when my parents took me out and paid for lunch out recently.
Since learning how to actually cook steak to how I want it for which cut I find eating them out to be universally disappointing, tho I am in the middle of nowhere without something like a proper steak place. Did have a fantastic Tomahawk in Portugal actually but thats a bit of a trek. For some reason no one seems to do Ribeye and every single one of them seems to ignore what you ask for and give you one up, ask for med rare you get medium, etc.

Last time it was a hassle to find somewhere I just walked down the butchers instead. Got a 32oz double thick Ribeye one for the same price the pub wanted for a 8oz rump (£20), sous vide'd it to perfect medium rare since it was so thick then straight into a screaming hot cast iron pan to sear off and rest, pan sauce with the aromatics from the sous vide bag thrown in and air frier chips of an actual reasonable size and portion size. Put two people into a food coma for several hours.

But it’s lunchtime
It's the tea tonight thread! I only eat once a day now in the evening, every single time we go anywhere for lunch I am absolutely useless for hours afterwards just feel stuffed.

Been to Lidl for first time in ages so have a large selection of random stuff that will accumulate into a meal somehow, or I will just be lazy and have the spanish pork empenada thing.

Since learning how to actually cook steak to how I want it for which cut I find eating them out to be universally disappointing, tho I am in the middle of nowhere without something like a proper steak place. Did have a fantastic Tomahawk in Portugal actually but thats a bit of a trek. For some reason no one seems to do Ribeye and every single one of them seems to ignore what you ask for and give you one up, ask for med rare you get medium, etc.

Last time it was a hassle to find somewhere I just walked down the butchers instead. Got a 32oz double thick Ribeye one for the same price the pub wanted for a 8oz rump (£20), sous vide'd it to perfect medium rare since it was so thick then straight into a screaming hot cast iron pan to sear off and rest, pan sauce with the aromatics from the sous vide bag thrown in and air frier chips of an actual reasonable size and portion size. Put two people into a food coma for several hours.

That sounds lush!

The problem with my last one I ate out was it went the other way - I asked for medium rare (which tends to be suitable for rump) but it was only just seared so was a bit tough for the cut. But yeah that cost over £20, chips were lush and plentiful mind, when I got my steaks which are now in the freezer I got 8x 8oz 28 day aged rump steaks off the reduced to clear for £10 and did a much better job of cooking it :D The potatoes, roasted veg, fried mushrooms and red wine and mustard reduction were also fucking lush and it was all round a lovely meal (if I say so myself). OH enjoyed his halloumi and falafels which he had with the same roasted new pots and veggies so it was all round a winner.

OH wants veggie chilli tonight. I am not in a chilli sort of mood today, but that's OK because as long as I have something that involves tinned toms and beans to use up the open tins that works, so:

Me: Sausage, bacon and mixed bean (butter bean and kidney bean) casserole. Either a tub of potato/swede/carrot mash from the freezer (via the reduced to clear shelf!), or plain rice.

OH: Quorn mince and mixed bean chilli. Rice. Some leftover reheated roast new potatoes from last night - will sprinkle some of my fajita spice mix on them and toss in the oil before reheating so they'll be more like spicy wedges.

Last edited:
Last night was lamb leg steak marinaded in garlic/chilli/lemon/mint then griddled, with jersey royals, cabbage and peas. I did two steaks, the second one I've just sliced up over a salad for my lunch.

Tonight, kiddo is back after a week away so I'll let her choose. I'm guessing she'll want a home-food classic so got the makings for spag bol, roast chicken, and lamb chops (really hoping she doesn't pick these :D) in. Knowing my girl though, she'll want beans on toast <3
Fish and chips <3

Back
Top Bottom