Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Kippers, fried egg, potatoes and asparagus

Now that you have cat friends, how do you manage with kippers? (I imagine a stout locked door between you and them 🤣 )

I had smoked mackerel with cats in the house once and once only, they literally scaled me trying to get to my plate :D

Mind you, my lot were always rude and unruly. Even to this day Jakey will hover over my plate, he is particularly drawn to stir fries for some reason. With Sonic it was eggs. :)

Now that you have cat friends, how do you manage with kippers? (I imagine a stout locked door between you and them 🤣 )

I had smoked mackerel with cats in the house once and once only, they literally scaled me trying to get to my plate :D

Mind you, my lot were always rude and unruly. Even to this day Jakey will hover over my plate, he is particularly drawn to stir fries for some reason. With Sonic it was eggs. :)
They're surprisingly well behaved when I'm eating, now that they have their own food down in my space and they're not begging coz they always can't get to the bowls in the house. I was half expecting to have to stop him climbing into the frying pan but Cosmo just lay on the windowsill near the hob (seems to be some sort of timeshare agreement between him and the starlings) and watched with the standard feline amount of haughty disinterest.

I will repeatedly remove them or put them outside if they still don't get the hint though, I can put up with a lot of nonsense but being pestered while I eat is a hard no.

The amazing kippers from the smokery near where I used to live might've been a different matter mind, those were on a whole other level of smokey fishiness. Need to find some better ones up here.

They're surprisingly well behaved when I'm eating, now that they have their own food down in my space and they're not begging coz they always can't get to the bowls in the house. I was half expecting to have to stop him climbing into the frying pan but Cosmo just lay on the windowsill near the hob (seems to be some sort of timeshare agreement between him and the starlings) and watched with the standard feline amount of haughty disinterest.

I will repeatedly remove them or put them outside if they still don't get the hint though, I can put up with a lot of nonsense but being pestered while I eat is a hard no.

My Jakey and also Sonic when he was alive is/were absolute food pests!

Jakey is the worst ever, he comes and sits next to my plate and kind of looms over it making little breathy begging noises. He's OSH and basically just makes huffing noises going ahh ahh along with it.
He's not allowed anything cos of his health issues

Same here. My old lady cat has one rule, and that is not to come on the table or couch, wherever it is we are eating. She knows it, still tries her sneaky cat hand, but gets down pronto when I utter a swift NO, DOWN!

Off to ma outlaw's tonight. I was hoping for a good honest fish and chips, but it's fucking ultra processed bastard fucking takeaway pizza again, and I can't complain or refuse to eat it. I don't want that shit in my body! But his mam wants it and she's 85 so I have to bloody well eat it. Harrumph.

Things improve when we get home though, cos then it's scones with butter and homemade strawberry jam with a decaff tea.

I think tonight it's going to be fish fillets in a tempura batter (those "Gastro" ones, got them on special in Iceland), baked beans (Branston) and home made oven chips if the spuds aren't too sprouty. Oven chips cos the oven will have to be on anyway for the fish, our air fryer is too small to do the whole lot. OH might go for fish fingers instead, he prefers the breadcrumb and the high coating to fish ratio :D

EDIT: Oh and some "quick" (ie. using store bought mayonnaise) tartare sauce - we have gherkins and capers so it would be silly not to!

If the spuds turn out to be no good then will have to have a rethink.

Last edited:
Last night, surprisingly successful garlic naan white pizza thing, extra garlic mayo in place of tomato based sauce, some lidl polish(?) Sausage, whatever the one covered in white one powdery stuff is, leftover buttery garlic/herby baby potato sliced up thin, cheddar, chives we managed not to kill, bit of black pepper and then crisped up in the air frier for 12 mins. Delicious

Last night, surprisingly successful garlic naan white pizza thing, extra garlic mayo in place of tomato based sauce, some lidl polish(?) Sausage, whatever the one covered in white one powdery stuff is, leftover buttery garlic/herby baby potato sliced up thin, cheddar, chives we managed not to kill, bit of black pepper and then crisped up in the air frier for 12 mins. Delicious

I love it when sometimes just trying stuff out works really well. Kielbasa sausage or similar?

I love it when sometimes just trying stuff out works really well. Kielbasa sausage or similar?
Something like that, maybe a salami tho. Quick Google says maybe strolghino? It also lead to a lidl recall statement but thankfully that related to April. Used it up tho so I can't check, the boy has an interview there tomorrow so will try and find out as now I have to now since google fu failed me. Made many a weird combination by trying to use stuff up, hope and occasionally the flavour thesaurus.

I had salad and melanzane parmigiana with a delicious crumble topping due to freezer/breadcrumb misunderstanding :oops:
I make loads of stuff in bulk, I am also often intoxicated by the end of it and in no frame of mind for labelling things. A lot of tomato based sauces can be surprisingly similar, thus lead to the creation of the Texan chili lasagne, Pizza sauce and rice with whatever I could throw at it and the curry pizza.

The couple of potatoes I thought I was going to use for chips were unfortunately well past their best, so I'm doing a late night pasta puttanesca (might add a tin of tuna to it an all - not an original ingredient but it does go really well with the olives and capers in the sauce) and we'll have the garlic baguette that is in the freezer.

The couple of potatoes I thought I was going to use for chips were unfortunately well past their best, so I'm doing a late night pasta puttanesca (might add a tin of tuna to it an all - not an original ingredient but it does go really well with the olives and capers in the sauce) and we'll have the garlic baguette that is in the freezer.

This was delicious. OH said it was the best thing he'd eaten in ages (and I cook frequently so he is not short of good food!)

Back
Top Bottom