Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Where do you look when your feeling uninspired and want an easy win. I've got loads of precooked meals in the freezer which would be nice, but fancy a little different. Need to find some more decent recipe sites.

Was planning to do frittata again but I got offered leftover macaroni cheese, so just had a plate of that with steamed chard and mustard greens. Might be super organised and boil the potatoes so frittata takes less time tomorrow, but I might just end up eating them tonight if I do that :hmm: Stewed apple with cinnamon and yoghurt in a bit.

Traybakes for us!

Chicken thighs (chicken Monday indeed!) potatoes, red onion, cauliflower, red pepper, chilli flakes, garlic for me.

Halloumi, lemon sole (off the reduced to clear!) potatoes, red onion, courgette, red pepper, chilli flakes for OH. (Lemon sole being quite thin, I'll just pop it on the top of the rest of his tray for the last 10 or so minutes)

Too hot to cook at the moment though, will wait til a bit later in the evening.

Last edited:
Tonight's tea will (hopefully) be made by the fella! I have left him clear printed instructions on how to make a tomato and mascarpone sauce with penne. I think it'll be better for him to cook it on his own in the daytime so he can make as much noise as he likes without winding me up. Normally in the kitchen, he bangs stuff round, drops stuff, and swears like a fucking trooper - proper stresses me out!

Penultimate lemony muffins tonight. Might get him making brownies tomorrow!

Lemony muffins sound ace sojourner! Do you have the recipe?
Yes - I made it up myself haha after having some at a service station on the way home from some festie or another. They are perfect summer cakes. Here you go:

Lemon Drizzle Muffins with lemon curd (makes 12)

Make sure the ingredients are at room temperature.

• 300 g self-raising flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 250 ml milk (I use oat milk and it's fine)
  • 110g butter, melted and cooled
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoon lemon extract/essence
  • 2 lemons
  • 200 g sugar + 6 tablespoon for the drizzle
  • 12 teaspoon lemon curd
Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 6.

Sift the flour, and add it to a bowl together with the 200 grams of sugar and baking powder.

Beat the eggs well until pale yellow and fluffy, add the milk, lemon essence, and cooled melted butter.

Pour it over the dry ingredients, then grate the lemon and add the lemon zest to the other ingredients.

Use a spatula to mix gently until you get a batter, making sure you don't over mix it.

Put muffin cases into a 12-hole muffin tin, add half a tablespoon of batter to each case, then add one teaspoon of lemon curd, and top with the remaining batter.

Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden.

In the meantime, squeeze the lemon juice out of the lemon used for the zest, and mix it with the 3 tablespoons of sugar.

When the muffins are ready, drizzle the lemon juice mixture over as soon as they come out of the oven.

Leave to cool, then try not to eat them all at once!

Back
Top Bottom