Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I love roast chicken, but I struggle to get through a whole one with leftovers as it's only me that eats it (OH has been pescetarian for most of his life, and I now only have 1 cat left who I am sure would love a bit but is on a low protein diet for his dodgy kidneys and isn't allowed it - it was easier to get through a roast chicken when I had 3 cats that could help out with it!!!) So it requires menu planning for 4 days (plus fish/veggie alternatives for the OH to have) to deal with even a medium sized one.

I feel a roast chicken coming on though, might get a pack of legs next time I head to the supermarket, they make for a good "can't manage a whole one" alternative :D
Oh this isn't a whole chicken its the tesco cheap as fuck frozen drumsticks and thighs thing lol. Defrosted after I noticed the date then teenager stuck the lot in the oven since it needed to be cooked and he loves chicken.

I have no issues with a whole chicken tho, when I worked in an office I would quite often go grab a whole chicken off tesco's hot counter and eat the entire thing then go home and make dinner. I was ploughing through so many calories to offset 10-15 hours a week in the gym (early (5am) and lunchtime) it was ridiculous.

Oh this isn't a whole chicken its the tesco cheap as fuck frozen drumsticks and thighs thing lol. Defrosted after I noticed the date then teenager stuck the lot in the oven since it needed to be cooked and he loves chicken.

I have no issues with a whole chicken tho, when I worked in an office I would quite often go grab a whole chicken off tesco's hot counter and eat the entire thing then go home and make dinner. I was ploughing through so many calories to offset 10-15 hours a week in the gym (early (5am) and lunchtime) it was ridiculous.

I quite fancy that sometime soon, would work well as a sort of traybake roast I reckon with spuds, carrots, stuffing balls, chicken legs/thighs/drumsticks (will have to see what is a good deal in the supermarket when I next go, skin-on thighs are generally a good bet in terms of price, and would work perfectly).
Maybe not tomorrow as I may not make it to the supermarket before then, but Monday or Tuesday when OH is off work perhaps - could do him the same but with some white fish or halloumi or veggie sausages instead of the chicken, I reckon he'd like that.

This is why I love this thread so much, always something that makes you go "oooh I quite fancy that, must have soon" :D

Cor there's some nice teas being had today! I'll have one of each please :D

I'm doing a sausage and butter bean casserole, I'll see what OH wants to have available to reheat in the morning (veggie sausage and butter bean casserole, some sort of pasta dish with butter beans and tomatoes etc. - as I'll be opening a tin of tomatoes and a tin of butterbeans I'm happy to make him anything he fancies that involves those 2 ingredients cos I don't need a whole tin of each for mine!)

Smoked peppered mackerel, new potatoes, mustard greens wilted / fried off with the drained potatoes and a bit of butter, some grilled peppers from a jar

Things went a bit pear shaped and I was so massively stressed that I couldn't face cooking and eating a full meal.

So I did the Gregg's sausage roll sarnie that I have been meaning to treat myself to for a while (have some sausage rolls from the outlet shop near us in the freezer

My plans were slightly disrupted when I discovered that tomato ketchup can actually go mouldy (thankfully spotted it before trying to put any on my sarnie, and that is the last time we are getting the massive bottle of ketchup!) and had to have it with just butter on the bread and some yellow mustard - it was good though!

I'm going to do the sausage, bacon and butter bean casserole tonight, will have with rice. OH wants quornball and butter bean pasta in a spicy tomato sauce for the morning, which is easy enough to prep at the same time and uses up the spare half tin of toms and half tin of butterbeans which is the main thing

I love roast chicken, but I struggle to get through a whole one with leftovers as it's only me that eats it (OH has been pescetarian for most of his life, and I now only have 1 cat left who I am sure would love a bit but is on a low protein diet for his dodgy kidneys and isn't allowed it - it was easier to get through a roast chicken when I had 3 cats that could help out with it!!!) So it requires menu planning for 4 days (plus fish/veggie alternatives for the OH to have) to deal with even a medium sized one.

I feel a roast chicken coming on though, might get a pack of legs next time I head to the supermarket, they make for a good "can't manage a whole one" alternative :D
Yeh I get loads of it. Cheap as anything, easily stripped off the bone then freeze bones til we have a big pile of bones/carcasses and mirepoix scraps then throw in the idk 15 litre stock pot for loads of stock or smaller batches concentrated for frozen stock cubes. Need a buy an oversized ice cube tray. Also works for making things like curry bases.

The mixed bag is about 50/50 so we often have a 3 tray bake roast, eat the thighs (3 ravenous adults) so sweet potatoes, pots, baby pots whatever is on offer, carrots, swede (roasted and mashed together with butter and pepper is amazing stuff) whatever else is on offer or someone wants, then strip the drumsticks for meat and bones then that's stock material and chicken whatever for a few days, wraps, salads etc.

If I'm roasting anything then oven is stacked, onions, peppers, celery tray for a caramelised holy trinity starter. Etc. SO made a sauce for gnocchi yesterday, already had a tomato base made and frozen, same for mirepoix and chicken stock. Just add what you want after that.

Also do celery cooked in saved bacon fat great for bulking meals out and adding some umami

Turmeric and spinach dhal, with nigella/cumin/mustard seeds, fenugreek and cayenne, onions and garlic in. Big hulking crusts of homebaked wholemeal bread, buttered, and roast spiced cauli.

Decaff coffee and a lemon drizzle lemon curd melty middle muffin. Or two.

Lush. As. Fuck.

Just went to the pub and had the Jamaican/English combo....that's, rice n peas, curry goat, pork belly, chicken and steamed veg.
Jealous! I can't get curry goat here, never tried it. Syrian guy opened a cafe/supermarket/butchers and had goat i wanted to use but covid ruined it unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom