Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I'm not convinced lettuce crumble couldn't work, with the right variety of lettuce and if the crumble was more of a crumb coating than a thick layer that kept all the moisture in during cooking. Just texted my brother who's a professional chef to see if he's up for the challenge :D

You're probably right. The crumble topping was definitely too thick this time. My hazy memories of 1995 are that it was thinner

I'd be interested to hear what the professional view is.

You're probably right. The crumble topping was definitely too thick this time. My hazy memories of 1995 are that it was thinner

I'd be interested to hear what the professional view is.
I'll let you know if he tries it or has any thoughts beyond 😂😂😂

I'm imagining something like a really dense cos type lettuce heart, quartered and grilled hot & fast with a few fatty herby ingredients to flavour the juice that wilts out and just a light coating of chunky oaty crumble on top.

Or chicory is good roasted and that can be quite lettuce-like if you use the outer leaves and not just the hearts...

I'll try that.

But not yet.

Yep you possibly need some time before embarking on another lettuce adventure :D
I didn't even know cooked lettace was a thing? Assume it wilts loads like spinach?
If you use a dense lettuce like little gem it works quite well. It's especially nice if you char the cut sides before braising. The braising doesn't take long.

Shredded lettuce with a savoury crumble made from flour, butter, porridge oats and crushed walnuts. It would have been better with the walnuts in with the lettuce and if I'd put the blue cheese in to the crumble part to begin with.

I made something similar for Mrs Shoes in about 1995 and she told me never to make it again. I was hoping that enough time had passed for her to forget. She had forgotten that but won't forget this time
Surely the lettuce just collapses in a sea of water?

I'll let you know if he tries it or has any thoughts beyond 😂😂😂

I'm imagining something like a really dense cos type lettuce heart, quartered and grilled hot & fast with a few fatty herby ingredients to flavour the juice that wilts out and just a light coating of chunky oaty crumble on top.

Or chicory is good roasted and that can be quite lettuce-like if you use the outer leaves and not just the hearts...
I agree. Basically with fried breadcrumbs rather than a crumble. Grilled Caesar salad is very good.

I am a big fan of the cooked lettuce - griddled in wedges like a hipster hispi cabbage, wilted in a frying pan with finely chopped spring onion and topped with toasted hazelnuts, or braised with butter and peas.

Sadly I am having none of those for my tea tonight, as I am using up whatever's in the fridge before we go away tomorrow. Probably stir-fried random veg and some mushrooms.

We are going to new tapas restaurant in town as friends visiting, I don’t want to go as sooooooo tired. They all popped round yesterday afternoon when I was meant to be working so now I’m working today…

We are going to new tapas restaurant in town as friends visiting, I don’t want to go as sooooooo tired. They all popped round yesterday afternoon when I was meant to be working so now I’m working today…

As much as I love going out for a meal, it's horrible and feels like a wasted opportunity if you're too tired to enjoy it (and the food) properly - is there any way you can reschedule to a time when you'd actually have fun?

As much as I love going out for a meal, it's horrible and feels like a wasted opportunity if you're too tired to enjoy it (and the food) properly - is there any way you can reschedule to a time when you'd actually have fun?
Unfortunately they are only in town for two nights and I only saw half of them last night… so I cant really cancel and I do appreciate when people make an effort to visit now I live abroad…

It was bloody delicious I have to say. Codfish with hummus and carob, octopus with beetroot and something else, dates wrapped in bacon and loads more, really unusual and yummm

Back
Top Bottom