Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Fried rice and tofu because I was sorting the fridge out and noticed that the tofu is going out of date. I still CBA with cooking - I got an Amazon Fresh order with 3 Charlie Bighams meals in. We never get takeaways and I've had a few of those too. I'm hoping soon I'll get enough rest to get my mojo back, only 4 hospital visits to see my dad this week. N

Cheese n onion pasties with baked beans, some roasted tomatoes, and some airfried sweet potato chips

Edit: grammar! I then had a dark choc alpro desert with fresh raspberries

Last edited:
I've got some meatballs (mix of pork and beef mince, seasoned) in the freezer, I think I am going to defrost a few and make meatballs with spaghetti (in a spicy tomato sauce, naturally!) and a quornball version for OH to have in the morning after work.
I haven't come up with a better plan involving anything that needs to be used more urgently, so I think I'll go ahead with this, I've been fancying it for a couple of weeks (since someone here mentioned a similar dish! The tea thread does this to me :D )

There's also a part baked baguette in the fridge that needs to be used as I opened the pack a few days ago, so will do some garlic bread to go with it.

Cuttlefish? What are they like?

Very similar to squid, so if done like that in breadcrumbs would be similar to calamari. In some cuisines squid and cuttlefish are almost interchangeable in terms of what gets breaded and fried :)

Sort of squid like .These are fried in breadcrumbs but you can get them simply fried or in the oven and also with rice,or in a bean stew or with other seafood and fish with pasta .

Very similar to squid, so if done like that in breadcrumbs would be similar to calamari. In some cuisines squid and cuttlefish are almost interchangeable in terms of what gets breaded and fried :)
Kinda assumed they were just seen prep be a hassle cos well ink and our fishmongers unfortunate pricing policy.

Kinda assumed they were just seen prep be a hassle cos well ink and our fishmongers unfortunate pricing policy.

I hate prepping squid tbh, it's like dealing with something that I imagine people think might be in Hangar 51.

I mean apparently they are quite intelligent but they are just full of squishy stuff and I don't know how that works.

(says the biodiversity/environmental monitor :hmm: :oops: )

You can buy whole from the fishmongers and prep. You can buy bags of it already prepared and cut. Loads of videos on how to prepare them.

You can buy whole from the fishmongers and prep. You can buy bags of it already prepared and cut. Loads of videos on how to prepare them.
I know how to do it, the local fishmongers refuse to post prices at all however, then have a minimum price of about 30kg a kilo, regardless of the fish....

Squid was pretty cheap for a while - there was for a bit an overabundance of squid which were proving a bit of a threat to some fish (overfished by us ofc) stocks - so for a while about 10-20 years ago it was "eating this is a cheap source of protein and sustainable"

I am not sure what the score is on that at the moment.

Squid was pretty cheap for a while - there was for a bit an overabundance of squid which were proving a bit of a threat to some fish (overfished by us ofc) stocks - so for a while about 10-20 years ago it was "eating this is a cheap source of protein and sustainable"

I am not sure what the score is on that at the moment.
Even frozen here it's £10/kg. Considering every single meat except specific cuts are less it's not encouraging.

Back
Top Bottom