Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Apparently it's National Fish & Chip day!
Alas can't really justify the spend here when we just did enough grocery shopping to last til OH gets paid.
Not sure what I'm having tonight, I did have breakfast and lunch though and am not hungry at the moment - I can always do some pasta or have a bacon sarnie later if I get peckish but don't have any big plans for food.

Not sausage traybake. I did one of my favourite potato dishes, which is new potatoes cooked in the oven in a cast iron casserole with onions, garlic and mushrooms. Little bit of water to start them off but they brown somewhat. Those, with the rest of the sausages, and some broccoli. VG.

That does sound good, I can think of a lot of things that potato dish would go well with!

Chicken thighs and drumsticks marinaded in honey, soy, garlic and ginger, then baked in the oven. With rice and some kind of veg.
This was so good - simple, tasty, accepted by the kids, an all round winner.

I used this marinade (noting here for my own reference next time I want to make it!)

Absolutely no idea, probably pasta n sauce packet. We just spent a huge amount of money on food to restock freezers, cupboards, basics, spices, etc etc which all came today. Then had a proposal we get takeaway, we are not having a takeaway tonight! I did somehow manage to get specific burger rolls, sauces for it, cheese thats suited and then apparently, no fucking burgers tho. Looking at the prices it certainly explains why I now have a kilo of beef mince tho, guess tipsy me last night thought I would make them myself instead of paying double for it to be the right shape.

Maybe tomorrow on the BBQ, assuming it doesn't piss down and I clean the damned BBQ with the kit I bought specifically for this purpose.....

This was so good - simple, tasty, accepted by the kids, an all round winner.

I used this marinade (noting here for my own reference next time I want to make it!)

I knew by the sound of your first description that it would be good, I love chicken (usually skin on, bone in, lovely and moist and the skin crisps up beautifully and a hint of sticky) with a soy and honey style marinade - absolutely gorgeous and as you say quite easy to put together for a low effort but very delicious meal

I knew by the sound of your first description that it would be good, I love chicken (usually skin on, bone in, lovely and moist and the skin crisps up beautifully and a hint of sticky) with a soy and honey style marinade - absolutely gorgeous and as you say quite easy to put together for a low effort but very delicious meal
I basically lived on bone in chicken for quite a while, its so cheap especially if you buy massive freezer packs. Back when electric wasn't a luxury item it meant very cheap stock too from the bones. I would do a 6 kilos worth in the oven, eat 1/3, leave 1/3 fridge, freeze 1/3 some for later meals etc.

I basically lived on bone in chicken for quite a while, its so cheap especially if you buy massive freezer packs. Back when electric wasn't a luxury item it meant very cheap stock too from the bones. I would do a 6 kilos worth in the oven, eat 1/3, leave 1/3 fridge, freeze 1/3 some for later meals etc.

Bone in legs/thighs/drumsticks are still good value, so much flavour and more moist - I like thighs particularly in curry - when they have the skin on I use a cast iron casserole dish, have the sauce come up to halfway up the thighs with the skin side upwards (with the curry sauce coated on top of the skin of course) then finish off in the oven so the skin goes crisp on top, fucking lush, favourite sort of chicken curry!

Well apparently I can't even have the pasta n sauce I thought I was going to have as a lazy dinner, something thats presumably another fucking rat has has the corner off the packet and a thing of water biscuits. Thats now tomorrow clearing that out all over again and trying to find out how the fuck they are getting in, one thing I thought about a basically concrete house was it would at least be moderately rat proof.

Now I am feeling simultaneously hungry and tired - my good meals earlier in the day staved off the thought of tea until I was too tired to do anything about it :D
Loving reading about all your meals mind, some good ideas here have been banked for another day, and I'll have some toast in the morning and make some sarnies to take out with me on my day out :)

Back
Top Bottom