Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Pork Penang with rice and tenderstem brocoli.

When I cook Indian type curries they are always from scratch, but the Mae Ploy Thai pastes are so good I never bother. Plus Thai stuff needs loads more fresh herbs that are harder to get and would make the meal a fair bit more expensive.

Pork Penang with rice and tenderstem brocoli.

When I cook Indian type curries they are always from scratch, but the Mae Ploy Thai pastes are so good I never bother. Plus Thai stuff needs loads more fresh herbs that are harder to get and would make the meal a fair bit more expensive.

Oh god tell me about it, I live in East London and it's not as easy as you'd think to find fresh galangal - pastes are the way to go for Thai curries, at least for now!

Nothing much for me tonight, I haven't slept well for a couple of nights and need kip soon (well after I've given Jakey his pill in a bit).
I did have some pasts pesto this morning so I have eaten today.

Nope change of plan, I didn't use my bacon last night because I remembered an open jar of green (basil) pesto in the fridge so held off until this morning and ate spaghetti with pesto when we got in from doing our grocery shopping.
So I had some defrosted bacon that needed to be used tonight, so I went and made the amatriciana sauce that I thought I was going to do last night, had it with spaghetti.
It's been a spaghetti oriented day today, I must do something different tomorrow! :D

I'm trying to make toad in the hole tonight. I say try as I basically gave up trying to make yorkshire pudding in my old oven as it always went wrong. I mean it can't be rocket science, so I think it's time to tackle it again using a different oven.

I'm trying to make toad in the hole tonight. I say try as I basically gave up trying to make yorkshire pudding in my old oven as it always went wrong. I mean it can't be rocket science, so I think it's time to tackle it again using a different oven.

Oven hot, batter cold (and let it sit in the fridge for 30 mins to an hour before using it), use plain flour not self-raising, heat up the sausages in the oil first (220C) so it's spitting before pouring the batter in, don't open the oven door til it's done (about 25 -30 mins depending on size, you should be ok to check it after 25 without it flopping).
Good luck!

I've got a chicken so I'm going to have roast chicken, roast new potatoes, peas and carrots, might do some packet stuffing now there's room in the freezer to ball up and freeze the rest of the pack. Gravy of course.
After the above discussion I am quite fancying Yorkshire pud too but I wonder if it's a step too far...

Oven hot, batter cold, use plain flour not self-raising, heat up the sausages in the oil first (220C) so it's spitting before pouring the batter in, don't open the oven door til it's done (about 25 -30 mins depending on size, you should be ok to check it after 25 without it flopping).
Good luck!
I always add the sausages after the batter (quickly and with the tray on the hob so it stays hot) coz otherwise I find you get Yorkshire pudding with sausage-shaped holes and the sausages stay in the pan when you serve it.

I always add the sausages after the batter (quickly and with the tray on the hob so it stays hot) coz otherwise I find you get Yorkshire pudding with sausage-shaped holes and the sausages stay in the pan when you serve it.

Probably makes a difference what sort of tin you're using, I've got non-stick at the moment that are quite new (and I use a ton of oil :hmm: ) so it all just slides out neatly, but yeah if I was getting sausage sticking issues that would be the way to go.
I've got a new tin for individual Yorkshires that OH bought by mistake recently so I might take that out for a spin with my roast dinner tonight.

Oven hot, batter cold (and let it sit in the fridge for 30 mins to an hour before using it), use plain flour not self-raising, heat up the sausages in the oil first (220C) so it's spitting before pouring the batter in, don't open the oven door til it's done (about 25 -30 mins depending on size, you should be ok to check it after 25 without it flopping).
Good luck!

Thanks. My old oven would have the grill on a bit for some weird reason so it would always burn on top before it was done.

Back
Top Bottom