Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Fish fingers, chips, and beans. A tricolor of condiments: ketchup, mayo, and brown sauce on the beans.

Oat milk hot chocolate and a jaffa cake.

That is what my OH describes as a kiddie meal, and is amongst his favourite things to have for tea :)
Kiddie meal can involve any comination of fish fingers, sausages, fried eggs, mash, hash browns, potato waffles, chips, beans or sweetcorn (he doesn't like garden peas, mushy would be acceptable with fish fingers option).
His little face lights up when I say "I thought we could have a kiddie meal for tea" :D

I managed to bollocks up my spuds, small new potatoes and I just timed it wrong to roast them they were in too long and they were burned 😭
Very glad I decided to do both Yorkshires and stuffing to go with, so I did have plenty of filling stuff to eat and the meal was very satisfying and I didn't really miss the spuds - and the Yorkshires were epic.

I'm sure you've posted the recipe before, but can I have it again please? Fanking yooo.
Here tis:

Roungy mushroom curry (black-eyed bean and mushroom curry) – pictured top

I have always loved black-eyed bean curry, a Punjabi dish made at home and enjoyed with tandoori roti. Thankfully, my kids seem to enjoy it, too, which means I get to cook it often, and also to try different ways of combining the beans with other vegetables. Here, I’ve used mushrooms, which give an extra layer of flavour and depth. Serve with rice or flatbread.

Prep 15 min
Cook 30 min
Serves 4

2 tbsp rapeseed oil
2 onions
, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and grated
2½cm piece fresh root ginger, peeled and grated
1 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp salt
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp ground turmeric
300g chestnut mushrooms
, thinly sliced
1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
2 x 400g tins black-eyed beans
, drained and rinsed

Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and cook over a low to medium heat for five minutes, until softened and starting to colour. Add the garlic and ginger, cook for a minute, then pour in the tomatoes and cook on a low to medium heat for five minutes.

Stir in the salt and ground spices, followed by all the remaining ingredients, stir well and bring to a boil. Cover, then leave to cook on a medium heat for 15 minutes. (If you have more time, cook it over over a lower heat for 30-40 minutes.) Serve warm.

It's one of our staples, we love it.

We got friends coming round for pot luck supper and movie night. I’m doing roasted peppers and garlic prawns, maybe some roast chorizo - depends what Mrshakes cooks and everyone else brings.

We went out for quick lunch at local cafe, I had half serve of chicken in the oven with pineapple and roast potato (they forgot my salad), Mrshakes an omelette salad and chips, a small jug of house wine - €11….

Last night we had pizza at the South London Drinks gettogether - I had ham and mushroom and OH had mozzarella and tomato - very good pizza!

I have roast chicken that needs to be used, so I am going to make a curry. OH will have a fish, spinach and potato version. Tarka daal to go with, mushroom rice, and a naan bread.

Back
Top Bottom