Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Samphire's lush. Where did you get it from (if you don't mind me asking) ?

they've started selling it fresh in waitrose i think. only ever seen it canned before which is a shame as its delicious and such a fun texture!

they've started selling it fresh in waitrose i think. only ever seen it canned before which is a shame as its delicious and such a fun texture!

Thanks foamy ... I'll keep an eye out for it next time I'm near one. I've only ever had it in a restaurant before so I'd love to be able to buy and cook it for myself.

Samphire's lush. Where did you get it from (if you don't mind me asking) ?

The greengrocer in Herne Hill :) I've never seen it for sale anywhere before, but I've wanted to try it ever since I read "When Marnie Was There"...

I had it with butter & black pepper & it was lovely, like miniature salty asparagus but much nicer.

The greengrocer in Herne Hill :) I've never seen it for sale anywhere before, but I've wanted to try it ever since I read "When Marnie Was There"...

I had it with butter & black pepper & it was lovely, like miniature salty asparagus but much nicer.

Cheers! We were also saying earlier that it's a bit like asparagus but nicer. Mmmmm.

For anyone int'North, Booths, The Best Supermarket In The World, sells fresh samphire.

Tonight will be the leg of lamb that didn't happen yesterday.
I think I'll slow roast it with some red wine and shallots.

Me and bloke are off work today as we're having loads of tree work done in the garden. The tree surgeon is a mate so we've managed to negotiate a good price by being his labourers for the day. So I'm fairly sure that we're going to be bloody starving by tonight.

I had a chinese last night...spring roll, wonton soup and salt and pepper ribs (with another spring roll left over for lunch today :cool: - I like them far better reheated in the oven the second time around :D ).

Just me and the boy today which means it's FISH DAY, so we're going to make more of the bouillabase (both times I've made it lately it's been just me, but he will LOVE it) with squid, prawns and john dory.

Got some chocolate and banana cake leftover for pudding. It's a bit claggy :D so will prob have it with a bit of ice cream.

First roast for months last night - roast potatoes, garlic and carrots, steamed green beans and a Linda McCartney cheesy lattice thing which was much better than I thought it would be.

Not sure about tonight, maybe toad in the hole, curly fries and mushy peas.

on holidays in ireland so foods been great. Lots of Irish brown bread and wexford cheese. Tonight going to relatives and think they are making a feta cheese and spinach bake with filo pastry.

I'm tempted to have a roast of some sort....I want lots of veggies...maybe even roasted beetroot.

Tomorrow I'm doing mrsfran puy lentil lasagne.

mrsfran's blog is blocked as I'm in China, is the recipe anywhere else? I've wanted to make this for some time.

DSCN9666.jpg

This lasagna is definitely vegetarian and almost vegan, and you could easily make it vegan by replacing the milk with an alternative like soy milk or rice milk. I’m a committed meat-eater but this meal is lush – puy lentils have a lovely earthy flavour and keep their texture well.

The ingredients list isn’t prescriptive – if you’ve got leeks, or spring onions, or pretty much any vegetable lying around, chop them up and chuck them in. It all adds to the taste.

Ingredients
Serves 4 generously

2 carrots, chopped
1 onion, diced
100g mushrooms, chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
1 tin chopped tomatoes
250g Puy lentils
A handful of sun-dried tomatoes, chopped (optional)
1 pint vegetable stock (I use Marigold vegan stock powder)
A couple of bay leaves
Lasagna sheets (make sure there’s no egg in the pasta if you’re doing it vegan). I use the no-pre-cook ones, so you don’t need to cook them at all beforehand.

1 pint milk
1 tablespoon cornflour
Salt & pepper

The Cooking

Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan and tip in the onion, carrot and mushrooms. Cook on a medium heat until they start to turn soft. Add the garlic and lentils and cook for one more minute, and check out the lovely colours:

DSCN9661.jpg

Pour in the stock and tomatoes and the bay leaves. Bring up to the boil and simmer for around half an hour, stirring and tasting every now and again. Add salt and pepper if you think it needs it.

Set it aside to mellow out a bit. If you want to, you can stop at this point and freeze it for later use.

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas mark 4.

Now put the pint of milk in a pan on the hob on a medium heat. Mix the cornflour with a little bit of water and add it to the milk. Heat it all up slowly, stirring often, until it thickens. If you want to (and you’re not a vegan, obviously), you can add some grated cheese to this sauce. I don’t in order to keep it low-fat and feel virtuous. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Now lay out some sheets of lasagne on the bottom of your dish. The reason I put lasagne sheets as the first layer is that it makes it easier to lift out a slice whole from the cooked dish. Little tip for you there.

Ladle on about a third of the lentil and veg mixture, and spread it out to cover the base. Pour over about a third of the white sauce, and then do another layer of lasagne sheets. Repeat twice, finishing up with a layer of white sauce.

Non-vegans can add some grated cheese on top. Parmesan is nice. Cook in the oven for around half an hour, until it goes nice and brown on top. Bring to the table and dig in, it’s flipping lovely.

I wrote that when I was on a diet, btw. Nowadays I'd just add a shitload more cheese to the topping sauce. Feel free to mess around with it however much you like.

It really is lush. I'm going to suggest it to my meat eating friend to impress her new veggie BF. My friend grew up on a farm and a meal is very much meat/potatoes/veg for her but I think this will win her over. I will have it tomorrow at home and then microwaved at work Wednesday evening.

I'm going to have to see if someone can go to the shops for me. My back is proper fucked :(

Other wise it'll just have to be plain chops and spuds.

I'm having loads to eat tonight. I have a Realeat chicken style roast with sage & onion stuffing, bellaverde broccoli (was going cheap cheap), roasted beetroot, onions and carrots plus mash & roasted potatoes with plenty of gravy. And a glass of red....:)

I read that as bukkaki first of all :eek:

haha. there's a big bukkake* scene in the brilliant best bizarro book 'Washer Mouth: the man who was a washing machine.' It doesnt disappoint

*punishment of someone getting ejaculated on by lots of men

haha. there's a big bukkake* scene in the brilliant best bizarro book 'Washer Mouth: the man who was a washing machine.' It doesnt disappoint

*punishment of someone getting ejaculated on by lots of men

this is urban. EVERYONE know what that is. this thread is may not be the place for it though.

Back
Top Bottom