Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Last night, despite horrible tiredness, I knocked up an old fave - cassoulet - washed down with a rather decent Shiraz. Surprised at how good it all was.

*preens self*

Is this eggs with something? I have eggs to use... and if my aubergine is past it I won't be having this the malanzane I still haven't made :oops:

Yup, translates as 'ranch eggs'. I usually have it as a breakfast, but we'll eat it for any meal. Here's my version:

vegetable oil
2 tortilla wraps per person
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Chilli to your taste
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper
2 fried eggs per person
grated cheese - Monterey Jack, Emmental, or cheddar will do
sprinkling of paprika

Turn the oven on low
Heat some oil in a large frying pan and fry the bread for a few seconds on each side. Make a tin foil envelope, put the tortillas in and chuck into the oven to keep warm.

In a little more oil fry the onion, garlic and chilli until soft.
Add the tomatoes, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and reduce to a thick sauce.
Fry the eggs.

Put two tortilla on each plate.
Spoon over the tomato sauce and spread evenly.
Put an egg on each tortilla, then sprinkle with grated cheese and paprika.

I usually serve it with refritos (a batch from the freezer or tinned). It's much easier to make with two frying pans.

I went to Gaucho. We didn't book, just wandered in to the Regent St one, they couldn't do us a table for an hour so they paid our cab to the Charlotte St restaurant! Quite nice.

chanterelle mushrooms and leek in a cream and white wine sauce with pasta. not bad if i do say so myself

My melanzane thing was rubbish and I stick out my bottom lip. Not sure about tonight... most likely omelettes as we've got 6 eggs.

Yup, translates as 'ranch eggs'. I usually have it as a breakfast, but we'll eat it for any meal. Here's my version:

vegetable oil
2 tortilla wraps per person
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Chilli to your taste
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
salt and pepper
2 fried eggs per person
grated cheese - Monterey Jack, Emmental, or cheddar will do
sprinkling of paprika

Turn the oven on low
Heat some oil in a large frying pan and fry the bread for a few seconds on each side. Make a tin foil envelope, put the tortillas in and chuck into the oven to keep warm.

In a little more oil fry the onion, garlic and chilli until soft.
Add the tomatoes, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper and reduce to a thick sauce.
Fry the eggs.

Put two tortilla on each plate.
Spoon over the tomato sauce and spread evenly.
Put an egg on each tortilla, then sprinkle with grated cheese and paprika.

I usually serve it with refritos (a batch from the freezer or tinned). It's much easier to make with two frying pans.

I don't like eggs but taking this recipe camping with me to make for my BF & friends breakfast...just been shopping for the bits I don't have.

Venison steak - hope I get the right level of bloodiness this time - with salady stuff, and more of that wicked Shiraz. Roll on dinner time!

skipped breakfast and had a disgusting lunch of lamb vindaloo Mckays crisps followed by a Carmel Kit Kat Duo
so I want something healthy this evening, probably baked spuds with cheese/tuna topping and spinach
Home made lime ice cream with white chocolate chunks for laters

I'm still flooded with tomatoes, so made some into a sauce to have with spaghetti for the kids and the rest into a soup for me....but somehow I managed to eat a whole (small) wheel of brie, too. :hmm:
The kids had lemon jelly and ice cream for pudding and I had a cream doughnut. :p

My mum's coming down today and I'm doing a roast - chicken, potatoes, yorkshires, broccoli, gravy and bread sauce. No doubt she'll bring some pudding stuff, too.

I'm doing a roast today, too. Leg of lamb with garlic and rosemary, spuds cooked in the fat for that all-important added arterial blockage factor, broccoli, carrots, cauli and red wine gravy. I'll be mighty pissed off it doesn't come off - I couldn't really afford the 18 quid the leg cost cos I'm supposed to be saving up for a holiday.

There's a disappointing lack of silliness, really. Unless you count having to get a boat just to go the Co-op and stuff like that. I did overhear a conversation about which part of a badger was best to eat in The Mermaid once, though, so that makes up for it a bit. It's 'the ham', apparently. :D

Back
Top Bottom