Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Broccoli (with Dijon mustard stirred in), spring onion and extra mature cheddar frittata, with watercress/rocket/spinach salad, and either spicy wedges or couscous.

Tiramisu and blueberries for afters. Yes, I know I have the same afters all the time.

over-ripe broccoli with the mouldy bits chopped off
carrot with the maggots cut out
mushrooms
canned tomatoes, beans, soup
I forgot to buy red onions, so a couple of cloves of garlic. miso...

Sweet & sour - prawns for him, pork for me. Mushroom and broccoli stir fry. Egg fried rice.

Just cooking the rice now ready to fry later and wondering how the fuck I am going to fit all the rest of it on the stove :D

Remains of yesterday's black bean chilli thing which was supposed to have kale but they didn't send the kale so I put frozen spinach in, with rice.
Flat peach and a satsuma for pudding.

I've paused the recipe box as it was starting to feel a bit relentless. I could go down to fewer meals but then the cost per meal is higher. Just got this week's to come.

I think I'd try Gousto next time as they have a lot more veggie choices. With Hello Fresh the veggie meals ended up being mostly beany Mexican things. Nice, but wouldn't be my first choice. Plus they've left out an essential ingredient two weeks in a row and if I still have to go to the shops it's pointless.

Reporting back on the sweet & sour - it was really good, although as usual a struggle with only 3 working hobs - I had to keep some components warm in the oven while cooking others. Prawns for Nate were battered and fried first then I put them to keep warm while I did my pork in the same oil - so there was no contamination of his meal.

OMG can I just say Iceland pork medallions from their fresh meat range (and part of their 3 for £8 deal - there are 4 in a pack and I was greedy and used 2, a pack would feed 4 in this dish with sides though) are perfect for this, I just sliced into thin strips and coated in a simple egg/cornflour batter and then fried for a few minutes and it turned out perfect melt in the mouth tender and a little crispy batter at the edges, will definitely do again.

I do the sauce 3:4 sugar:rice vinegar plus tomato puree or ketchup, thickened with 2 tablespoons of cornflower in a bit cold water then heated until it thickens. Splash of light soy sauce or sesame oil goes nicely but isn't strictly necessary.

Pork medallions for me, southern style quorn burgers (in buns with tomato, cheese condiments etc) for him.
Fried mushrooms, carrot/apple/celery salad, and fries.

Back
Top Bottom