Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I like curry houses that go to the extra trouble of thinking up a few names beyond the pathias, madrases and tikka masalas too. It's probably one of the main reasons I keep returning to trusty Gousia down here - who can turn down the chance to try out a Balti Badami Makoni or a Machili-ka-salan?

Falafel and salad and tahini in pitta. Ice cream with rose syrup and chocolate chips (turkish delightish!)

I am cooking! I know I've said this before but Christ I missed cooking while I was too knackered in early baby days. Currently doing the filling part for tomorrow's shepherds pie. Might spice it up with a bit of cumin and coriander.

I am cooking! I know I've said this before but Christ I missed cooking while I was too knackered in early baby days. Currently doing the filling part for tomorrow's shepherds pie. Might spice it up with a bit of cumin and coriander.

I remember that feeling all too well, I really missed cooking when the boy was tiny.
Nice to see you back on the thread a bit more mrsfran :)

Tonight is a thrifty slow cooker number with lots of bits and pieces from the freezer. 1 smallish turkey steak, half a dozen rashers of streaky bacon, some black eyed beans, carrots, onions, chopped toms, passata, garlic & herbs. I'll probably serve it with rice and something green.

I'm serving it with red cabbage froth and snail pate.

Oh. Wanky then :(

I am going to make a pasta bake tonight, looks like a simple but alluring recipe:

Tomato and Mozzarella Pasta Bake

• 300g (11oz) penne pasta
• 1tbsp olive oil
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
• 400g can good-quality chopped tomatoes
• 1tbsp tomato purée
• 150ml (1/4pt) vegetable stock
• 2tsp dried mixed herbs
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 125g (4 1/2oz) mozzarella cheese, sliced

1. Heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4.
2. Cook the penne according to the pack instructions, drain and set aside.
3. While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large non-stick pan. Add the onion and garlic and fry for 5 mins, until the onion has softened.
4. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato purée, stock and herbs and season with black pepper. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 10 mins, stirring occasionally.
5. Add the cooked penne to the tomato sauce, mix together then transfer to an oven-proof dish. Top with the sliced mozzarella and bake in the oven for 10 mins until the cheese has melted.
6. Serve the pasta bake with salad and crusty wholegrain bread.

just brought my most essential cook books back from the uk - excited. might spend the rest of the day reading them - bliss...

however, I think tonight will be a superfood stir-fry as I need to kick-start my healthy eating plan since I've been eating pies and drinking beer for the last two weeks ;)

A gala variety from the fridge, or maybe a cornucopia. Poncey menuspeak for "lots of odds 'n' ends on the same plate".

I was going to do Cantonese chicken and corn soup but we've been out today with friends for a massive picnic (a slightly freezing one :D ) so we're just going to have toasted pitta bread with tara and lemon and coriander hummus, olives and tomatoes. They're having fruit splits for pudding and I'm having nothing down to scoffing shit loads of biscuits at the picnic/in the playground later.

six fish fingers in a whole ciabatta. might put some lettuce, mayo and brown sauce in it too.

went with mayo, lettuce, caramelised red onions, 6 fish fingers, horseradish on one half, and indonesian chili and garlic sauce on the other...

dsc00774ca.jpg

pre-planned bog-standard tea. my dad writes the weeks' meals on a board - takes all the fun out of it IMO, but I understand why he does it. tonight is 'mushroom, mice, one foot' - his handwriting is worse than mine.

pre-planned bog-standard tea. my dad writes the weeks' meals on a board - takes all the fun out of it IMO, but I understand why he does it. tonight is 'mushroom, mice, one foot' - his handwriting is worse than mine.

:D:D

Oh god - I would hate having a whole week's meals chalked up on a board!!

Tonight is stir-fry pork with a packet soy and sesame sauce, with rice.

I like having my meals all planned for the week (although I haven't done it for months). You don't have to stick rigidly to the plan, it saves money, and you can think about how you're going to do this dish or that dish. More thinking about food!

yeah, my dad likes to do his shopping once a week, so he plans all the meals on a thursday night, then goes to sainsbury's friday morning. they have leftovers/sandwiches for lunch. i have to sneak out for top ups occasionally as they eat like sparrows.

Finally had chickpea and spinach curry last night - was worried that hendo wouldn't like it (no meat :rolleyes:) but he had second helpings and tried to eat the portion I'd saved for my lunch. :mad:

On my own again tonight so will be bits and piece out of the fridge (cold meat, cheese, houmous) with fresh-baked, homemade sourdough and salad. I have lost my cooking mojo a little bit.

Am making a semi healthy salad thing tonight which will include spinach, tomato, sweet pepper, boiled potato, smoked mackrel and will be topped with seeds. There might also be some boiled egg in it if I'm feeling greedy :cool:

Back
Top Bottom