Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I'm doing roast beef with all the usual trimmings tonight. My lad got back at about 8am from playing a gig in Belgium so he'll appreciate a decent meal when he finally surfaces.

I've been away for a week, so I don't think the family ate very well.

Tonight, I'm doing a roast pork. Sadly, two of my family members will not be here to eat it, so I'll save them a plate for when they get home from work.

After yesterday's indulgences*, it's leftovers with nice bread, good salad and a simple pasta dish of some kind -breadcrumbs, oil, bacon, or possibly a carbonara. Had a lovely day at the allotment, watering and generally admiring the nascent shoots everywhere and have already come back to a sandwich stuffed full of tender slices of belly pork. It's a day for lazing and leftovers

*Guests came over, with avowed intentions to get heavily stoned ('like the old days') and to eat nice food. Arrived by 8, food served at 9. First whitey at 9.30, followed by general lying in the corridor and an a quick lie down that turn night ending. Her partner ended up crashing in the same (spare) room at, ooh, just past 11 and we had two unexpected house guests till this morning. Job done; mission achieved. They were sheepish but smiley this morning. On the plus side, we have the maple pecan tart nobody could manage yesterday.

Lovely Roast dinner today, been working all day and am famished, totally famished and missus has made a beautiful dinner which I can tell I'm going to love just by the aromas circling.

Long point red peppers stuffed with spelt risotto and topped with smoked cheese and baked till all melty, served with cauliflower.

Earliers dinner was- as it turned out - delicious. My mam did roasted sirloin steaks of beef in butter, rosemary and onions....now typical Irish style she cooked the bijéipers out of them (also bearing in mind that we had two little kids to deal with...) the nippers gobbled up the lot (cut in tiny pieces) and i fed it to them like little blackbirds while watching The Wizard of Oz; the sides were parsnip and carrot mash (slushy but tasty) and maris piper potato mash (a winner, although herb and spring onion version for the oulder folks). Dessert was pears with a great throwback of HB's 'Brunch' icecream. Trés droll!

Mates coming round for a redeye-inducing smoking session, so loosely tapas-y type things that people can help themselves to. Albondigas (mexican meatballs) with cumin and tomato sauce, mahoosive tiger prawns in piri piri, chorizo and potatoes with plenty of dunking alcohol, rice, salad and some poncey but lovely little hamburgers, chips and fresh salsas for openers. Have done the vast majority of prep now, so aside from griddling the prawns and bunging things in the oven, we're pretty much all set to go.

sounds good. I always wonder what people bring....(well not housewise) i just mean, did anyone make or bring anything interesting (food)

After yesterday's indulgences*, it's leftovers with nice bread, good salad and a simple pasta dish of some kind -breadcrumbs, oil, bacon, or possibly a carbonara. Had a lovely day at the allotment, watering and generally admiring the nascent shoots everywhere and have already come back to a sandwich stuffed full of tender slices of belly pork. It's a day for lazing and leftovers

*Guests came over, with avowed intentions to get heavily stoned ('like the old days') and to eat nice food. Arrived by 8, food served at 9. First whitey at 9.30, followed by general lying in the corridor and an a quick lie down that turn night ending. Her partner ended up crashing in the same (spare) room at, ooh, just past 11 and we had two unexpected house guests till this morning. Job done; mission achieved. They were sheepish but smiley this morning. On the plus side, we have the maple pecan tart nobody could manage yesterday.

sorry, just saw this. was just thinking about that unusual asian salad, or the old garlic tart (which i still havent made yet). just anything unusually inventive. its so exciting when it happens.

ROAST! :cool:

Chicken, roast spuds, cauli cheese, yorkshires, psb from the garden, green beans, bread sauce, gravy....oh YEAH, baby!!!! *slurp*

Just a fucking shame I've got to actually cook it and not just eat it, mind. :rolleyes: :facepalm: :(

Shop bought melty middle hot chocolate sponge puddings with vanilla ice cream for pudding.

Dunno tonight
Things to be used up I think.
Maybe a pasta of some sorts.

Where do people stand on the Mattessons Smoked Pork Sausage range?
I have a Hot n Spicy Smoked Pork Sausage from said range in the fridge which could be involved tonight.

product_alt_Sps_HotnSpicy.png

Long point red peppers stuffed with spelt risotto and topped with smoked cheese and baked till all melty, served with cauliflower.

Fuck me, that sounds well lush :cool:

What smoked cheese did you use?

Well, as we are on an econofood mission to use up all available food this month, tonight we are having pesto linguine again, with black olives, sundried tomatoes, and a smidge of parmesan

Dunno tonight

I have a Hot n Spicy Smoked Pork Sausage from said range in the fridge which could be involved tonight.

From what I remember, you could well use this in a pasta dish mate - maybe with garden peas, and onions?

sausage and potato salad :cool: boil some spuds, put the sausage in the same pan still in it's placky bag to heat through. make a good strong vinagrette with plenty of mustard and vinegar, lots chopped red onion. chop the hot spuds into chunks and add to the vinagrette/onion then chop the sausage into half moon shapes and add those. serve with green salad :)

Dunno tonight

They are lovely in a split pea soup.

I have to use up some spinach and am on an economy drive until Friday so probably chickpea and spinach curry with rice.

Pasta with a creamy sauce of sausages, the rest of the leeks from the garden, peas and a red onion.
Grapes and strawberries for pudding!
Using up what's in the fridge before we go on honeymoon :D

I'm aiming for mrsfrans puy lentil lasagne & salad.

Def having this and it's in the pan tasting sooo good. I like to serve it with a green salad and a few of thos pickled jalopeno peppers from a jar plus a glass of red wine. I urge anyone who hasn't tried this dish to make it ASAP as it's really earthy and delicious. My BF doesn't know what is dinner yet so will be chuffed when he gets to mine.

sausage and lentil casserole and buttery mustard mash

Ahhh - a Nigel recipe by any chance? I only ask cos I have a tin of green lentils in my cupboard and was looking for recipes for them yesterday, only to come across this one.

I will do mine with veggie sausages, no bacon, no chicken stock, but with good veggie stock and perhaps a little paprika

duh - just read down the page! Still poss a Nigel one though

Back
Top Bottom