Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

urgh,.... hangover this morning. yuk. hopefully tea tonight will be dinner out at a south indian restaurant (if I get my way) if not then maybe yottam ottolenghi's black pepper tofu.

Variety of chicken wings, nachos with cheese and barbecue sauce, potato wedges, and perhaps some salad for balance :D

Courgette, onion and spinach soup - it is not filling me with excitement but is diet friendly and as I have a weekend of, hopefully, boozing and lard coming up I think I ought to try and be virtuous this evening :(

BUT I'm also making a batch of Balinese spice mix then splitting a pork shoulder and doing some Balinese slow-cooked pork in the slow cooker to go in the freezer and a dry rub for the rest to do pulled pork on Sunday.

*drools*

We're having pizza tonight, its on special at the shop round the back :)

My son's bezzer is staying tonight so they're having hotdogs, daughter is eating at a friends and I'll have either celery soup or beans on toast.

BUT I'm also making a batch of Balinese spice mix then splitting a pork shoulder and doing some Balinese slow-cooked pork in the slow cooker to go in the freezer and a dry rub for the rest to do pulled pork on Sunday.

What makes a balinese spice mix, sheo?

Beef stroganoff and courgette. Was gonna try and recreate Shoreditch House (stfu :facepalm:) courgette frites but I forgot to cut them properly.

What makes a balinese spice mix, sheo?

This lot!

Balinese spice paste (Base gede)
¾ tsp black peppercorns
¼ nutmeg, freshly grated
15g/½oz candle nuts, macadamia nuts, cashew nuts or roasted peanuts
½ tsp sesame seeds
30g/1oz shallots, peeled, roughly chopped
15g/½oz fresh root ginger, peeled, roughly chopped
20g/¾oz galangal (or extra ginger), peeled, roughly chopped
7g fresh turmeric, peeled, or ½ tsp ground turmeric
1½ fat lemongrass stalks, hard outer leaves removed, core chopped
10g/¼oz garlic
1 medium-hot red chilli, seeds removed, roughly chopped
2 red bird's-eye chillies, roughly chopped
½ tsp shrimp paste
1½ tsp palm sugar
½ tsp salt
1½ tbsp vegetable oil
¼ lime, juice only

Grind the first four things to powder then blitz with the rest of it to a paste - easy peasy!

I double up and freeze it in smaller portions (it freezes fine :cool: ).

leftover shepherdess pie, which was too big :oops: washed down with ginger ale and thorntons chocolates :cool:

A spag bol that I'm gonna start in a minute and have bubbling away on the hob all afternoon. Making enough for at least all the weekend if not most of the week too.

The ones in oil seem alright, but those dried tomato smeggets don't do much for me other than add an 80s twang either.

I agree with cooking a massive batch of bolognese, but you not tempted to freeze some NVP? If only to avoid the childlike 'eating the same breakfast cereal until you're heartily sick of it for years' syndrome.

Today and it's a couple of the better half's family over, so it's a big joint of beef and all the roasted trimmings. Have new yorkshire pudding tin to try out

I'm going to fry up a waitrose smoked jalapeno burger, with some tomato, then when I put it in the bun I'll pop a couple of slices of mature cheddar on it and a wodge of burger relish, then squish it all together so that the melted cheese/fried tomato/relish gunge trickles down the side, nom nom nom. Having it with (oven) chips and peas, with any left over fried tomato on the side of the plate for dipping the chips into. And a mix of tomato sauce & bajan sauce as well actually. This is why I didn't even bother posting on the 'weightloss 2011' thread.

e2a:

All washed down with a perfectly agreeable bottle of cote de nuits villages red. :cool:

The ones in oil seem alright, but those dried tomato smeggets don't do much for me other than add an 80s twang either.

I agree with cooking a massive batch of bolognese, but you not tempted to freeze some NVP? If only to avoid the childlike 'eating the same breakfast cereal until you're heartily sick of it for years' syndrome.

Today and it's a couple of the better half's family over, so it's a big joint of beef and all the roasted trimmings. Have new yorkshire pudding tin to try out

Yeah, they're in oil these ones. Does seem to have given it something, I must admit. Freezing's not much of an option for me. Only got a compartment in my fridge, not enough room for a freezer in my kitchen.

I had a chest freezer in my BEDROOM in my last place :D (still don't have it in my - much larger - kitchen here cos there's a proper sized built one, so now the *spare* freezer is in the downstairs room - and it's still in use :oops: ).

I've still got more celery soup to use up, so that for me... *sigh* Daughter's gone to yet another friend's for a sleepover (her life is a social whirl, I swear) andam getting my son sausage and chips from the chippy when we drop his friend off later (which is a bit mental cos they're just about to have a large plate of oven chips each now, too :facepalm: ).

I'm baking this afternoon so just an easy dinner.

Baked Camembert, roasted garlic with some crusty bread and chorizo.

Can't wait. Big bacon roll and cup of tea for lunch too.

Hurrah for weekends!

Back
Top Bottom