Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

All ok I hope foamy?
:(

Not ok but not too bad- my mums in hospital so although she's very poorly she's in the best place.
Tonight we got a takeaway curry - I wanted something familiar so had pilau rice, saag paneer, chicken korma and a peshwari naan but I haven't eaten the naan... Yet.

Something new tonight - sprats!

A different approach to oily fish... even though gsv gets freaked out by eating whole fish. Looking forward to them- just putting on some seasoned potato wedges to go with them. Need to look up some cooking tips. Fishmonger guy at Morrison's just said to coat in flour and a bit of seasoning, then fry, presumably for not long at all.

had a huge cheeseburger with onion rings, chips, and spicy wedges (yep, both), followed by toffee, orange and chocolate cake. It was in a castle.

gonna have a toasted cheese sandwich in a minute, and another glass of wine.

crumpets and beans. and possibly cheese.

scrub that - it was half a curry paradise set meal thingy - vegetable samosa, onion bhaji, vegetable korma, vegetable korai, aloo gobi, onion fried rice, naan and poppadoms. i am nearly bursting with curry goodness :)

I visited my 'rents, so had lamb curry with pulao rice, and some homemade mixed pickles. The lamb curry had real curry leaves - makes all the difference.

Me and the boy are having the rest of the chicken/creamed corn/potato soup and the small girl will probably have beans on toast.
I've got a shit ton of mushrooms that need using too, so am going to make Ms T's puy lentil, mushroom and thyme casserole but will probably have that for lunches.

^^^ could I have the recipe for the casserole Sheo please (it's veggie ?)

Tonight it will either be Caildron mushroom burger on a wholemeal roll & chips or veggie stir fry & tofu.

It sounds bloody horrible and you know it :D
:D well it did until you posted this...

Pour a whole friggin carton (what's that? 300ml?) of double cream into a bain marie, add pepper, mustard, and some philly, stir stir stir, and four egg yolks, stir stir, add all the cheese in your fridge, stir, thicken, pour over cooked macaroni (or in my case cauliflower), bake in another bain marie (probably over-cautious but I didn't know what I was doing and was nervous). I'd fry some bacon then deglaze with a bit of white wine if I was doing macaroni and wanted something too :cool:

Writing that made me feel like Simply Sara :(

Not ok but not too bad- my mums in hospital so although she's very poorly she's in the best place.
Tonight we got a takeaway curry - I wanted something familiar so had pilau rice, saag paneer, chicken korma and a peshwari naan but I haven't eaten the naan... Yet.
Sorry to hear that foamy, but like you say she's in the best place. Your tea sounded lush!

moonsi - here ya go (and it's vegan!)...

Field Mushroom, puy lentil and thyme casserole

250 ml red wine
50 ml soy sauce
450 ml water
225g puy lentils
2 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 large onion, halved and slice
50 ml sunflower oil
1.25 kg field mushrooms, peeled and thickly sliced
1 bay leaf
100g cashew nuts
1 bunch of thyme, leaves picked off the stalks, or 1 tsp dried thyme

Put the wine, soy sauce, water and lentils in a pot. Bring to the boil, then simmer for about 35 minutes, until the lentils are just tender. Set aside.

In a large casserole, sweat the garlic and the onion in the oil until soft.

Add the mushrooms, bay leaf (and thyme if you are using dried). When the mushrooms are just going soft, add the lentils with their cooking liquor and remove from the heat.

Whizz the cashews to a fine powder in a blender. While still whizzing, add the thyme (if using fresh leaves) and enough water to make a thick cream. Stir this mixture into the casserole, reheat, check seasoning and serve.

Someone on here once made macaroni (or was it cauliflower?) cheese with egg yolks rather than flour - sort of cheese custard I suppose :hmm: - has anyone got the recipe?

Was probably ringo :D

Did somebody mention macaroni cheese? :D

Can't remember about replacing flour with egg yolks, but that sounds a little bit like Delia's recipe for so-called "best ever macaroni cheese souffle". I'll try and find it online and see, got me intrigued now.

I found it a bit fussy and lacking in oomph. I usually switch between my Mums and Soj's versions depending on mood, but the recipe I did at the weekend is a winner, but so rich it's for special occasions only. Mentioned on another thread but I'll repeat it anyway just 'cos there's an excuse to carry on talking about macaroni cheese - Leiths recipe uses cream, cayenne pepper and best of all caremelized onions. Virtually a heart attack on a plate, but exceptionally good.

hehehe - I have been to *some* shops :hmm: it's WEIRD here! today I will venture further than lidl :D :facepalm:

eta: still, i do get the joy of re-stocking my storecupboards with ingredients of joy :)

Did somebody mention macaroni cheese? :D

Can't remember about replacing flour with egg yolks, but that sounds a little bit like Delia's recipe for so-called "best ever macaroni cheese souffle". I'll try and find it online and see, got me intrigued now.

I found it a bit fussy and lacking in oomph. I usually switch between my Mums and Soj's versions depending on mood, but the recipe I did at the weekend is a winner, but so rich it's for special occasions only. Mentioned on another thread but I'll repeat it anyway just 'cos there's an excuse to carry on talking about macaroni cheese - Leiths recipe uses cream, cayenne pepper and best of all caremelized onions. Virtually a heart attack on a plate, but exceptionally good.
Have you got a link to the full recipe?

I fancy macaroni cheese now. I've got everything in I think.

Delia's linked above Biddly, or did you want the Leiths recipe? The Leiths is much nicer.

Not sure. Half-tempted to make some more spicy lentil soup but the large doses of it that I had over the weekend have made for an exceptionally farty couple of days so I think I might have something chicken/pasta based.

thanks for the well wishes, all.
tonight i'll knock up some harissa chicken with giant cous cous.
Aqua you've just given me an idea what to do with all the potatoes i've still got:
Quesidilas tomorrow and Fritata on wednesday! :D

Back
Top Bottom