Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Someone on here once made macaroni (or was it cauliflower?) cheese with egg yolks rather than flour - sort of cheese custard I suppose :hmm: - has anyone got the recipe?

Tonight I did pasta with a sauce which I made up as I went along.

There was some quite tasty bacon fat and a few crispy shards of bacon in the frying pan left from the lads lunch (bacon sarnies) so I sliced up a load of mushrooms and threw them in and stirred them about over a high heat, got the scissors out and snipped up some chipolatas. Then I threw in some crushed garlic and a goodly sprinkling of chipotle chilli flakes, rummaged in the fridge and found some courgettes, bunged them in, sliced, for good measure.

I then added the best part of a carton of tomato juice that needed using up before too long, plus a bit of black pepper. That bubbled away in the pan until I drained the pasta and then I just stirred the lot together and stuck some cheese and the grater on the table and left the ravening hordes to it as I retreated up to my workroom with a cup of tea and a packet of fags.

I did think toast would be the exception after I posted that :D

That ain't half a bold statement Pip... not sure I could live without cheese sauce ever again.

Last night son was at his friends and daughter ate at her friends before I picked her up so for the first time since before Xmas I only had to feed myself! :cool: So :D I had a reheated spring roll and three bags of crisps. :cool:
So tonight I must use the chicken thighs and make the chicken and sweetcorn soup we were going to have on Friday.

Baked chicken thigs/legs and macaroni cheese - I'm hopin/relyin' on the macaroni cos the missus owes me a favour she doesn't know about yet! - but can't deny is owed, when I bring it up, when she's off the phone from her Ma (2 hours so far) when we had something else planned :)

Baked chicken thigs/legs and macaroni cheese - I'm hopin/relyin' on the macaroni cos the missus owes me a favour she doesn't know about yet! - but can't deny is owed, when I bring it up, when she's off the phone from her Ma (2 hours so far) when we had something else planned :)

Want my wicked cheese sauce recipe?

A buttery, garlicy, peppery, leek, potato and pearl barley stew/soup thingy topped with much chedder. It's very nearly ready :)

left over pasta thingy with garlic bread and some sleeping :cool:

I've had such a chilled day even heating up the pasta is going to feel like hard work :oops: :D :cool:

I was never man to say no, so yes please :)

Pour a whole friggin carton (what's that? 300ml?) of double cream into a bain marie, add pepper, mustard, and some philly, stir stir stir, and four egg yolks, stir stir, add all the cheese in your fridge, stir, thicken, pour over cooked macaroni (or in my case cauliflower), bake in another bain marie (probably over-cautious but I didn't know what I was doing and was nervous). I'd fry some bacon then deglaze with a bit of white wine if I was doing macaroni and wanted something too :cool:

Writing that made me feel like Simply Sara :(

Back
Top Bottom