Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

last night ended up being gnocchi with mushrooms in creamy red pepper sauce. a bit random, but nice.

tonight will probably be sweet chilli and veg noodles with tofu. unless I find anything particularly exciting on my trip to lidl.....

I don't know. :hmm:

I have a cooked chicken thigh which I was going to use to make another Vietnamese chicken salad but I think my beansprouts have probably seen better days now. :hmm:

Ah no - just checked! :D I'll give them a soak in some cold water and they'll do. :cool:
But what to make the kids? Think it might have to be a fishfingers and chips dinner with some broccoli. Or there's some breaded chicken fillets.....whatever, they can choose. We will DEFINITELY be finishing the scones today though (although I suspect NOT the clotted cream)!

Not much time tonight, so something from the freezer with leftovers of Tuesday's sausage surprise and some steamed broccoli.

chicken and cashew, chicken in black bean, rice ( possiblly egg fried if i can be bothered) and shop bought spring rolls . wanted fortune cookies for pudding, but couldnt find any in tesco, and cant be bothered to make any

Nowt wrong with houmous every day :)

+ I agree about houmous, it ='s lush, I love love LOVE it.

Yeah I've OD'd a bit now though. They were doing a 2 for two quid deal so I bought every flavour, forgetting that it doesn't last very well. So I've had it every day for a week. Lemon and Coriander was a bit sweet, Jalapeño and Red Pepper was fucking ace. Caramelised Onion was nice, too.

Sounds wicked tazza, details?

Basically it's this recipe with cod loin in place of the fillet, cooking times to be adjusted upwards.

Never cooked it, but it looks alright really. Fear it may be a little bland, but I'd better trust that Stein fellow on fish and see how it gets on.

A break from eating the giant potato mountain: teriyaki chicken with egg fried veggie rice.
Egg custard tart for pud :)

I wanted to steal foggies idea of a beef, potato and coconut based curry in the slow cooker but have no beef...

Prawns, soy sauce, garlic, spring onions, chili, noodles, mangetout. All shoved in the same pan, couldn't be arsed tonight.

Errrmmmmm onions, spring onions, ginger, some other stuff. You marinade the goat overnight then add liquid and cook for about 6 or 7 hours. Don't make me write the recipe before Eastenders is finished, it's a bit long winded :facepalm:

ETA Glenda's doing my head in so might as well. I dunno if it's the best or anything but it is pretty authentic, also it's been adapted over about ten years, so it's not really a proper recipe.

Wash about 2lbs of goat and put it in a bowl with lime juice, escallions, an onion, about three deseded scotch bonnets, a spoon of allspice, thyme, and about three or four spoons of Caribbean curry powder (usually can't be bothered to make my own, see note below, Dunns River is alright but a bit turmericy. You should proably make your own tbh). Put it in the fridge overnight or longer. About the scotch bonnet: it's better to use more deseeded ones than less erm, seeded ones because the flavour is integral. Someone really annoyed me here once when I said to add three desseded scotch bonnets and thy just chucked one un-deseeded one in.

The next day, fry about a spoonful or two of curry powder in some oil, add about two onions, minced garlic, grated ginger. Add the marinated goat and try and brown it a bit. Add chicken stock, coconut milk (not too much, about 1/2 can for 2lbs goat meat) and more lime juice. Bring it to the boil and then simmer it until it's all soft and falling to bits, about six hours. You might need to add more water, lime juice, or coconut milk.

CURRY POWDER IF YOU CAN BE BOTHERED.

4 teaspoons ground coriander
3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
3 teaspoons turmeric
3 teaspoons fenugreek
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons star anise
2teaspoons yellow mustard SEEDS
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
A clove

Sometimes I add more fresh ginger, sometimes more thyme, sometimes more paprika. It depends. It's nice to add some peppers with the onion if you've got some to use up.

Hope that makes sense and I haven't forgotten anything :)

Back
Top Bottom