Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Oh yeah this might get me flamed :D but if you make your own curry powder add a dash of MSG and some salt, or a spoonful of meat seasoning when it's marinading. If you use the ready made powder, it's likely you'll need more nutmeg and allspice than I've put.

That sounds lush Pip, I'm almost dribbling now :oops: ta for typing it up.

Definitely added to list. Will see what I've got in the cupboard when it comes to making up the spice mix ;)

Now to google escallions :facepalm:

Looks good Pip. Prefer mutton to goat, but that looks a fine recipe. For some reason I generally associate West Indian curries with curry powder, so it's hardly a sin using MSG. You making roti as accompaniment? It's tradition like.

Rick Stein's fishy cod dish was a bit of a hit yesterday, so props to the Padstow prowler. Big lumps of fish, tasty buttery onion and tomato sauce, alright all round.

I discovered A&C in Brixton is selling Italian sausages yesterday, so couldn't resist picking some fenneled-up numbers. Will probably be doing a quick and spicy italian sausage pasta meal tonight as a result.

That sounds lush Pip, I'm almost dribbling now :oops: ta for typing it up.

Definitely added to list. Will see what I've got in the cupboard when it comes to making up the spice mix ;)

Now to google escallions :facepalm:

Those spring onions with the fat bottoms. Use 3 or 4 depending on the size.

Cheers Tarannau, it was one of the first things I learned to cook when I was a kid and it's soooo comforting, but I rarely do it because of all the bloody simmering. Nah, no roti, just the green beanz.

As predicted my supposed goat hating friend loved it :rolleyes: :cool:

I must get to making roti again myself - it's still far from effortless or consistent for me. There again I've found a genuinely lovely ready made cupboard standby - if ever you see Nishaan Chakki roti in your local stores, I'd highly recommend picking up a few bags

They usually have about 6 months shelf time and unlike many shop bought roti/chapati, they're not dry and don't crack at the first sight of food. In fact they're pretty bloody good.

They're probably packed full of transfats and will make me lardy within months, but at the moment I'm glad to have found something so good and convenient.

They usually have about 6 months shelf time and unlike many shop bought roti/chapati, they're not dry and don't crack at the first sight of food. In fact they're pretty bloody good.

God, that gets on my tits! :mad: :facepalm:

I am supposed to be making a chicken and sweetcorn soup (not chinese style - more like a chowder, with potato in and lots of grated cheddar on top) but I am ill and knackered and even though I'm also a bit skint, I'm thinking I might just get a takeaway cos we haven't had one for AGES. :hmm:

They're the first brand that haven't left me disappointed and dry mouthed Sheo. It was like finding the one rogue cheese and onion crisp in a lifetime's supply of salt and vinegar - a revelation.

:cool:

PS: Takeaway. It's Friday after all

I'll keep an eye out, defo, t! :cool:

And yeah, takeaway, why fucking not :cool: checked back on the thread actually and we haven't had one since the 17th of DECEMBER!?! WTF? :eek: :D

Thing is, I could be REALLY tight and save it till tomorrow when my son's going to his friends for the night.....but that seems a bit cruel. :D

They're the first brand that haven't left me disappointed and dry mouthed Sheo. It was like finding the one rogue cheese and onion crisp in a lifetime's supply of salt and vinegar - a revelation.

Where did you find them?

Indian cash and carries Norbury way, although I've seen them in the bigger Waitroses too. Not Beckenham Junction, but in the Canary Wharf branch fwwiw

hmm:....I'm not sure...but I feel you may be being unkind to the mighty salt N vinegar crisp AKA Queen & King of The Crisp Worlds.

I just burned my tongue on melted cheese, so don't think it matters what I eat for the rest of the day... I won't be able to bloody taste it! :facepalm:

Errrmmmmm onions, spring onions, ginger, some other stuff. You marinade the goat overnight then add liquid and cook for about 6 or 7 hours. Don't make me write the recipe before Eastenders is finished, it's a bit long winded :facepalm:

ETA Glenda's doing my head in so might as well. I dunno if it's the best or anything but it is pretty authentic, also it's been adapted over about ten years, so it's not really a proper recipe.

Wash about 2lbs of goat and put it in a bowl with lime juice, escallions, an onion, about three deseded scotch bonnets, a spoon of allspice, thyme, and about three or four spoons of Caribbean curry powder (usually can't be bothered to make my own, see note below, Dunns River is alright but a bit turmericy. You should proably make your own tbh). Put it in the fridge overnight or longer. About the scotch bonnet: it's better to use more deseeded ones than less erm, seeded ones because the flavour is integral. Someone really annoyed me here once when I said to add three desseded scotch bonnets and thy just chucked one un-deseeded one in.

The next day, fry about a spoonful or two of curry powder in some oil, add about two onions, minced garlic, grated ginger. Add the marinated goat and try and brown it a bit. Add chicken stock, coconut milk (not too much, about 1/2 can for 2lbs goat meat) and more lime juice. Bring it to the boil and then simmer it until it's all soft and falling to bits, about six hours. You might need to add more water, lime juice, or coconut milk.

CURRY POWDER IF YOU CAN BE BOTHERED.

4 teaspoons ground coriander
3 teaspoons cayenne pepper
3 teaspoons turmeric
3 teaspoons fenugreek
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 teaspoons nutmeg
2 teaspoons star anise
2teaspoons yellow mustard SEEDS
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
A clove

Sometimes I add more fresh ginger, sometimes more thyme, sometimes more paprika. It depends. It's nice to add some peppers with the onion if you've got some to use up.

Hope that makes sense and I haven't forgotten anything :)

That sounds awesome. :cool:

Chilli and Rice, sadly I got the rice home and it had no suggested cooking instructions so I'll have to wing it...

Salmon baked on a bed of lemon slices with potato dolphinoses and broccoli. I got a bit slicing happy with my kenwood mini chef :D

potato cubes cooked with rosemary, sea salt, thin sliced garlic and garlic oil. the kids also had homemade chicken strippers and roasted veg but the gannets ate my share too :mad:

i may have to make a cheese and ham sarnie in a minute to fill the gap.

tmw however will be homemade pasta with chicken and gammon with a tomato sauce. feyrette has decided she wants to make pasta so we are going to give it a bash, and feyr jnr wants to learn how to cook a roast chicken ( i am training them well, by the time they are 10 i expect them to be totally self sufficiant ;) ) so tmw will be spent in the kitchen, as i do believe the younger ones will want to make cookies or cake for pud.

Back
Top Bottom