Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

it was meant to be meatballs and pasta but its completely rank so i am about to raid the cupboard for an alternative

tonight its a supersalty and supertasty tuna bolognese with pasta shells, one of my all time favourites (not as good as beef bolognese/ meatballs/ and lasagne which is my ALL-TIME food favourite). Im an Italian food whore, I can never resist it, this great love affair wll never end.

As it's coming to the end of my annual cheese season, I just had my first ever pizza - washed down with significantly too much chateau neuf du fake.

I could now do with a second pizza ....

... but I'll have to make do with Rochefort or Camembert ...

EDIT :- post said cheese, I'm now into the panforte ...

^ Yummy!
We had linguine with tomato and olive sauce and green beans. Then a slice of lemon drizzle cake with whiskey icecream :cool:

Gentlegreen - your first pizza ever, IN YOUR LIFE??? :hmm:

i ended up having a spoonful of pickled beetroot, 3 pickled onions and a gerkhin. may have some icecream for pud

Just had the most enormously satisfying pasta with tomato, mushroom and lentils and some cheese on top. Not sure why it was quite so delicious, but it was :)

how did you cook this?

No great secret to it I'm afraid. Onions, celery and carrot finely chopped and sweated off in butter and olive oil, then turn heat up to brown mince. Lots of thyme, big glugs of worcester sauce, beef stock and a little tomato puree (or ketchup). And a little dried chilli (one crushed piri piri) tonight for a slight change. Cook slowly down until a thicker consistency. Generous with the salt and pepper

Put in ovenproof dish and allow to cool a little - the sauce thickens more and it's easier to paddle on the potato if you can wait. Make the mash really creamy and as full of butter and milk as you dare. Layer on the mash in generous blobs on top of the mince, palette knife to smoothness, fork little grooves in the top for the traditional decoration. Stick in oven for half hour or so, and stick a grated cheesy crust on for the last 15 mins or more if you fancy it. Which, to be honest, we nearly always do. Brown it under the grill for extra crispness and colour if it needs it - you want crunchy golden crust on top of creamy potato. Serve with veg selection that must include peas, sweet peas.

Love the stuff really. Comfort food that's easy enough if you've a little extra time.

No great secret to it I'm afraid. Onions, celery and carrot finely chopped and sweated off in butter and olive oil, then turn heat up to brown mince. Lots of thyme, big glugs of worcester sauce, beef stock and a little tomato puree (or ketchup). And a little dried chilli (one crushed piri piri) tonight for a slight change. Cook slowly down until a thicker consistency. Generous with the salt and pepper

Put in ovenproof dish and allow to cool a little - the sauce thickens more and it's easier to paddle on the potato if you can wait. Make the mash really creamy and as full of butter and milk as you dare. Layer on the mash in generous blobs on top of the mince, palette knife to smoothness, fork little grooves in the top for the traditional decoration. Stick in oven for half hour or so, and stick a grated cheesy crust on for the last 15 mins or more if you fancy it. Which, to be honest, we nearly always do. Brown it under the grill for extra crispness and colour if it needs it - you want crunchy golden crust on top of creamy potato. Serve with veg selection that must include peas, sweet peas.

Love the stuff really. Comfort food that's easy enough if you've a little extra time.

You've missed out the most important detail - how did the potato masher perform?

Aaaaaanyway - her friend had pasta and tommy sauce yesterday, lol, so they're having beans on toast now. Me and the boy (who doesn't like beans) are having baked sweet potatoes with goats cheese and broccoli.

Uh-uh-uhhhh!!!!

After she said she'd had pasta and tommy sauce the night before and me suggesting the beans on toast and both of them shouting 'YEEEAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!' just as I was about to serve them up, she came up and said 'I don't really like beans very much :( ' :facepalm: soooooo *deep breath* I did them fishfingers, chips and broccoli instead and ate the fucking beans myself. She ate the chips and the broccoli (cos I said there was a nice pudding if they did) but not the fishfingers. I said 'Do you not like fishfingers either then?' 'No. :( '

When her mum came it turned out that she didn't have pasta and tomato sauce at all the night before - she had - fishfingers... :D

She also said she didn't like bananas so I made them a fucking GRAPE sundae.

My fault for having deviated from my original plan - won't do that again!

Mind you she also said to my son that she was very bored and didn't want to come round again, so all's well that ends well! :D

So anyway - tonight was supposed to be a bulghur wheat salad thing with mackerel, tomatoes, halloumi, cucumber etc but there's now some cold fishfingers, one cold sweet potato and a load of baked beans to be eaten up, so looks like I'll be having some combination of those - I think a fishfinger sandwich for me (gonna have to try and reheat them though, cos otherwise BLEURGH!), beans on toast for the girl and *something else* for the boy.....

Too much going on for cooking tonight. Last of the cheese, broccoli and filo pie with something quick from the freezer. Hash browns maybe. Possibly with a tin of mushy peas.

Definitely not pizza.

I'm not that hungry. I may order a pizza though and just look at it till I am hungry.. or just leave it, who cares, it's Thursday :D

Chicken stuffed with low fat philly with roasted veg (peppers, carrots, cherry toms, red onion) and new potatoes.

sounds incredible - thanks, and agree on the peas.

Back
Top Bottom