Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Sausage stew at my sisters house (maybe it wasn't a good Plan to have sausage sandwiches for breakfast and lunch too....)

Someone very kind indeed bought us a box of Donald Russell steaks as a moving in present - fillets, rib eyes, rump paves and more! - which arrived in an impressive dry ice filled box as a surprise yesterday. Very tempted to start on a couple tonight.

But I've also got a new fridge full of food too, so I reckon it may be a lazy day of oxtail stew with peas and rice. Or if my better half and social secretary tells me be that we're required out later I may abort that idea and cook milanese pork for speed instead.

And off to Hungs in Streatham for a delayed festive banquet with the family tomorrow. Not bad at all.

:cool:

It was fucking lovely :cool:

I made a simple bolognaise sauce - 2 onions, 5 cloves garlic, cook for a couple of minutes then add 250g mince steeped in worcester sauce with a dash of milk and red wine, simmer then add bay leaves, dried basil, salt, pepper, 2 tins chopped tomatoes, squirt of tomato puree and about 6 chopped mushrooms and let simmer for an hour.

For the bechamel I melted 25g butter and then added 25g plain flour and stirred to a firm paste. Then slowly added milk, stirring constantly, till it became thick and smooth and then added about 50g grated cheddar (medium strength), and more pepper till it melted. Then just layered it up in a baking dish and grated a shite load of parmesan and added pepper on the top . Bake for 45 minutes. Fucking lovely :)

Thank you for your report, sounds delicious! :cool:

So last night’s pizza was a bit of a winner…. Although I still can’t get the bases nice and thin and crispy – the dough is waaay too elastic for me to stretch and roll it thin enough…

But it was topped with home made tomato sauce, roasted red peppers and red onions and garlic, mushrooms, sliced olives and sun dried tomatoes, with a good sprinkling of mozzarella and cheddar on top. was pretty good all in all!

sounds great ms. I heard for a homemade pizza sauce the best way is to roast 400g of tomatoes with a sliver of garlic, on each,olive oil, then add anchovies and blitz the lot in a food processor - the ingredients must explain the amazing garlicky taste of the sauce on a good restaurant pizza.

just got home from a friend's house where someone had mentioned baked beans and then i bumped into badgers on the way home, so now i really want cheese and beans on a baked potato.

It's Saturday which means it's pizza night. We're having a marguerita pizza with a bit of pesto and some sliced garlic on top. Nom.

A monstrous salad with italian pickled vegetables, walnuts and dolcelatte. Hot pesto bread.

Individual hot pots made with local lamb and red cabbage to go with it. Softiepants wolfie has made one for the dog too.

well fri and sat night dinners were crisps and wine :oops: and lunches had been fags and coffees so i really should make an effort tonight. i have some fish to use up so maybe more fish curry

just got home from a friend's house where someone had mentioned baked beans and then i bumped into badgers on the way home, so now i really want cheese and beans on a baked potato.

Did you have it?
Did you have it?
Did you have it?
Did you have it?

Current options:

1. Jacket potatoes with cheese and beans
2. Sausage and bean casserole of some sort
3. Pasta or spaghetti dish of some sort

In fact I just typed 'sausage and marmite casserole' into google and the first return - http://urban75.org.uk/wiki/index.php5?title=Badass_Sausage,_ale,_lentil_&_mushroom_casserole -

haha!

Cheese weekend.

Last night was a massive lasagne, sauce made with Morbierre.

Lunch today a green lentil and feta salad.

Tonight is Barkham Blue, broccoli and walnut pie in filo pastry with roast veg and gravy.

Sardines, probably to be fried with garlic, chilli and tomatoes, with a side of Cajun potato wedges, currently in the oven. I do like sardines, even though I can never actually get much 'meat' off them.

Back
Top Bottom