Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I have a surplus of Uncle Joe's Mint Balls so will be attempting to crush them into some kind of semifreddo creation.

Urgh. Can't stomach them. My mother used to give them to me on long car journeys as a remedy for car sickness. Didn't work - and now I will never rid myself of the memory of mint balls coming back up in a horrible mess.

Anyhoo - tonight we shall be dining on vegetable tagine with apricots and couscous

Turkish meatballs with rice wot I made last night. Heated up in the microwave at work, unfortunately.

No cook salsa soup, chicken thighs with thyme and paprika and a quick salad.

The salsa soup is leftovers from yesterday and tasted better than the original. Will make it a day early and leave to flavour in the fridge.

Tasty bubble and squeak with gravy and brocoli and green beans also.

Then I found a cornflake on my tit so I ate that too. :hmm:

A rosti topped fish pie, made with salmon and john dory - and maybe a few king prawns stuck into the end that me and the boy will eat (am hoping she'll eat the rest...after loving it when she was little, she's been off fish for a while, but she's doing GOOD TRYING in 2011 :cool: :D so we'll see :hmm: ...she'll not even entertain the idea of a prawn though) - with broccoli and sugar snap peas.
More creme caramel for them for afters, blueberries with greek yoghurt and maple syrup for me.

So Sheo how did the girl go with 'things from the sea' tonight. I reckon this is the year she goes veggie. I'm willing to bet 50p on it!

It's in the oven. Report to follow...

It was fucking lovely :cool:

I made a simple bolognaise sauce - 2 onions, 5 cloves garlic, cook for a couple of minutes then add 250g mince steeped in worcester sauce with a dash of milk and red wine, simmer then add bay leaves, dried basil, salt, pepper, 2 tins chopped tomatoes, squirt of tomato puree and about 6 chopped mushrooms and let simmer for an hour.

For the bechamel I melted 25g butter and then added 25g plain flour and stirred to a firm paste. Then slowly added milk, stirring constantly, till it became thick and smooth and then added about 50g grated cheddar (medium strength), and more pepper till it melted. Then just layered it up in a baking dish and grated a shite load of parmesan and added pepper on the top . Bake for 45 minutes. Fucking lovely :)

that sounds like a winner!

Bit of a faff and had to wait an extra 15 minutes for the second bake, but well worth the trouble. Ended up using Montgomery cheddar, a west country smoked cheese, Philadelphia with chives and some chopped spring onions. Never seen my lot eat their dinner so quick, hope they don't think they're getting it like that every week.

Fancy lasagne tonight but will probably go for something lighter like huevos rancheros so I can go to the gym when the kids are in bed.

It was fucking lovely :cool:

I made a simple bolognaise sauce - 2 onions, 5 cloves garlic, cook for a couple of minutes then add 250g mince steeped in worcester sauce with a dash of milk and red wine, simmer then add bay leaves, dried basil, salt, pepper, 2 tins chopped tomatoes, squirt of tomato puree and about 6 chopped mushrooms and let simmer for an hour.

For the bechamel I melted 25g butter and then added 25g plain flour and stirred to a firm paste. Then slowly added milk, stirring constantly, till it became thick and smooth and then added about 50g grated cheddar (medium strength), and more pepper till it melted. Then just layered it up in a baking dish and grated a shite load of parmesan and added pepper on the top . Bake for 45 minutes. Fucking lovely :)

Not back at work then yet? :D

I'm making a comforting veggie cottagie pie with plenty of veggies on the side & gravy followed by a much needed early night on a bed of fresh sheets...:)

Mmmm, you can't beat fresh sheets.

We will be having bolognaise sauce because that's what I got out of the freezer this morning.
I forgot that we had pasta last night :facepalm: so I think I'll do it with jacket spuds

Back
Top Bottom