Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

what no annual poppy bunfight thread?

poppy?

• Total voters
13167495.jpg

Yep, 100 years since the nascent RBL* adopted the American idea of adopting the poppy as the symbol of remembrance.

In a sense the poppy marks the establishment fear of really existing system competition as the creation of the RBL was very much a response to the radical politics of some of the previously existing ex-serviceman's organisations that were subsumed with its creation. Alongside the outsourcing of responsibility of funding the care & rehabilitation of those maimed fighting for the state.

*i think the decision had already been taken by the establishment's immediate precursor to the RBL, the Earl Haig Fund.

The tacky overuse of the poppy iconography is just baffling. Who on Earth thinks that's a good idea? It's like they use the flowers to censor the reality of war - the blood and guts running into the muddy ground, the life-changing and disfiguring injuries, even the soldiers themselves are obscured in a wave of poppies. Anonymised in silhouette, the complexities of the human beings that fought and suffered and died are rendered down into cookie-cutter symbolism. The negligence of the brass in accounting for their losses has been re-enlisted as The Unknown Warrior.

If I were in charge of organising this shit, I would make damn sure that everyone gets an opportunity to appoint themselves with the grim realities of total armed conflict. The people who killed and died weren't unknown to their friends, families and communities, and they need not have been pushed to kill and perish so senselessly.

The tacky overuse of the poppy iconography is just baffling. Who on Earth thinks that's a good idea? It's like they use the flowers to censor the reality of war - the blood and guts running into the muddy ground, the life-changing and disfiguring injuries, even the soldiers themselves are obscured in a wave of poppies. Anonymised in silhouette, the complexities of the human beings that fought and suffered and died are rendered down into cookie-cutter symbolism. The negligence of the brass in accounting for their losses has been re-enlisted as The Unknown Warrior.

If I were in charge of organising this shit, I would make damn sure that everyone gets an opportunity to appoint themselves with the grim realities of total armed conflict. The people who killed and died weren't unknown to their friends, families and communities, and they need not have been pushed to kill and perish so senselessly.
Don't disagree, but when I came across this old image of the (pre RBL) 1920 commemoration of the war dead from my old town of Faversham, it certainly didn't look restrained.

1636293062363.png

There'll be no flowers to mark humanity's passing after the climate crisis.

Because odds are good humanity will still be around. I'm serious, we need to drop this idea that climate change is a threat to our species. Apart from being based on dodgy science, it's demoralising rather than motivating.

Don't disagree, but when I came across this old image of the (pre RBL) 1920 commemoration of the war dead from my old town of Faversham, it certainly didn't look restrained.

View attachment 295853

I suspect that back in 1920 a lot of the people who put the flowers there lost someone they knew personally. That image looks more like an exaggerated version of those sad collections of flowers one sees after a fatal road traffic accident.

Thing is, I remember doing the remembrance day parade stuff with the scouts thirty odd years ago, it was always solemn and dignified. The names read out from the memorial included surnames of families still in the village, Stenners, Bucks, Sharps, you’d look around at the faces, people remembering fathers, brothers, uncles. Many living still had a connection to the loss, would have been there, would have got that telegram. It had meaning.

Now there’s barely anyone even with that close a connection to those lost in WW2, now 76 years past. It just seems performative pro-war patriotism with no personal connection to the blood and horror, virtue-signalling nonsense. Not what it was.

Thing is, I remember doing the remembrance day parade stuff with the scouts thirty odd years ago, it was always solemn and dignified. The names read out from the memorial included surnames of families still in the village, Stenners, Bucks, Sharps, you’d look around at the faces, people remembering fathers, brothers, uncles. Many living still had a connection to the loss, would have been there, would have got that telegram. It had meaning.

Now there’s barely anyone even with that close a connection to those lost in WW2, now 76 years past. It just seems performative pro-war patriotism with no personal connection to the blood and horror, virtue-signalling nonsense. Not what it was.
It's theatre. A country without an empire, without industry, demanding we all participate in a scripted performance for the approval of the establishment.

Back
Top Bottom