Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

Cobnut dukkah - fucking lush. I would eat this on everything, but I suspect it'll get expensive nailing that many hazelnuts.

I have a big bag of fresh Cobnuts here which need using up somehow - I will have a go at making my own dukkah then eat it on all the foods. For a little while.
We used to pick wild cobnuts in the Kent countryside as kids.
I didn't learn that they were the same as hazelnuts until I was an adult.
I think Kent still has places you can forage them.

Kala namak black salt. Eggy, sulphurous salt is hard to describe in an appetising way but it's lush! Had to hide it at the back of a drawer coz eating chunks of neat salt every time I go in the kitchen is probably quite unhealthy :oops:
I've never come across this IRL. It's supposed to be a good addition to scrambled tofu. Mail order perhaps...

Beef peperami - surprisingly tasty/greasy enough compared to the usual sort.
Mapu tofu (assembled this myself, used a lot of Szechuan peppers/paste but have still never managed to replicate that zinginess that freezes your lips and hits you in the back of the head like english/dijon/wasabi - only got that when eating Hunanese pig trotters in Bethnal Green and still chasing that elusive high)
Flying Goose Blackout Sriracha Sauce - decent hot sauce that ain't too sour - not stupid macho hot either, just a satisfactory level to liven up a boring soup

Kala namak black salt. Eggy, sulphurous salt is hard to describe in an appetising way but it's lush! Had to hide it at the back of a drawer coz eating chunks of neat salt every time I go in the kitchen is probably quite unhealthy :oops:

I looove black salt! I also used to dab it every time I opened the cupboard :D but now I can only get it in big rocks and just grind a bit off when I need it. It's lush on chaat :thumbs:

A friend who lives in the himalayas gives us chunks of black salt she buys there. It's like chunks of coal. Because the lumps are so big we have to beat it with a hammer to get pieces small enough to grind. As a result it tends to sit gathering dust. I don't even know where it is now.

I bought a jar of this from one of the Asian supermarkets near us (thinking it would be a variation on the pink salt I purchased previously) but the smell was too much for me. I appreciate it may taste better than it smells but it seems pretty rank. Any suggestions as to what might change my mind about it? :)

I bought a jar of this from one of the Asian supermarkets near us (thinking it would be a variation on the pink salt I purchased previously) but the smell was too much for me. I appreciate it may taste better than it smells but it seems pretty rank. Any suggestions as to what might change my mind about it? :)
Apparently it's one of the things my fucked sense of smell doesn't pick up...

Like polly and RubyToogood said above, try adding it to tofu or other vegetarian/vegan stuff for a bit of kind of eggy-savoury flavour, or make chaat masala for either proper Indian chaat type dishes or just sprinkling over whatever (baked beans :hmm::oops:)

I've been preparing my own anchovies. Not sure they're worth the effort but better than the tinned ones.

Yesterday I did deep fried tiny, almost anchovy sized, sardines. Easier to prepare than anchovies, cheaper too.
I once bought a laod of very small carapau from a fish market and did the same. Never seen them on sale anywhere since then

Chinese preserved cabbage and pinhead. mushrooms. 59p a packet. Eaten with a cheese sandwich. I think they are meant as a cooking ingredient but I thought they were really tasty on their own.

I tried the vegan burgers from Lidl. They’re really good. I’m not going to eat them regularly because I can get better beef burgers for much less. However, they’re worth a try.

I cooked with MSG for the first time.

Small 100g packet from the Turkish grocery sold as "Chinese Salt". Used it to make egg fried rice, adding to the cold rice, and a pinch to the egg for the omelette. Made a real difference to the taste, especially the omelette bit - added a real savoury depth.

I've been preparing my own anchovies. Not sure they're worth the effort but better than the tinned ones.

Yesterday I did deep fried tiny, almost anchovy sized, sardines. Easier to prepare than anchovies, cheaper too.

I tried making my own Worcestershire Sauce recently using Spanish anchovies (they come in a wee jar with a free anchovy fork/poky thing) and, while it’s a fair approximation of the real thing, it’s just a wee bit too much on the fishy side for comfort - and it stunk the house out something shocking. I’ve left it in the cupboard in the hope it might calm down and might try a drop in 6 months time.

I used quinoa for the first time last night. We were meant to be having bulgur wheat but that had run out so it looked like a reasonable alternative. It wasn't awful. Just a bit pointless.

Back
Top Bottom