Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I have never tried caviar, but want to. is it worth it? had an ex who loved it, but could only afford lumpfish caviar. anyone tried either lumpfish or beluga (sturgeon - the 'proper' caviar apparently)?
I love it. I'd recommend you to have a really good, chilled in the freezer, vodka with it. I also like it on a baked potato with cream cheese which has to go on it first. Wash that down with a decent champagne. I can't afford to do it often but it's worth the wait.

This bitter gourd pickle is pretty good, but real spicy.

priya_bitter_ground_pickle_300g.jpg

Also tried Chinese garlic chives for the first time and are fully sold on them due to their strong garlic taste. I got them to make kimchi (my first attempt) and will report back if the kimchi works.

Tesco are doing a half bottle (two glasses) Pinot Grigio for £3.

In our flagship refurbished M&S store (where all the tomatoes and loads of organic meat and veg were reduced yesterday) they had a small freezer in the bakery section devoted to garlic bread. A label explained that they were using unsold baguettes and the like to make and freeze into garlic bread. 50p each for half baguette and 90p for boule. Bought a 50p one and it was quite good. Lean times at M&S.?

ARAYES.

Google describes it as a stuffed pitta, but was something slightly different. Wondeful flat bread with minced lamb, slightly greasy straight of the grill. Blew my mind.

Totaly had to be fresh, returned to the uneaten bit at the end of the meal and while nice it had lost a lot of its magic.

Just tried some black acorns. Apparently they're used for feeding Pata Negra but are edible for humans. Raw they are fucking awful, but roasted like chestnuts are good. I'm not sure I'll try them again.
I was persuaded to try them again. I roasted them a bit longer and they were great. Still not sure I'll bother with them much though.

Cobnut dukkah - fucking lush. I would eat this on everything, but I suspect it'll get expensive nailing that many hazelnuts.

I have a big bag of fresh Cobnuts here which need using up somehow - I will have a go at making my own dukkah then eat it on all the foods. For a little while.

Ooh, do you have a recipe please?

Ooh, do you have a recipe please?
I found one online last night and used that as the basis for mine (as well as the ingredients list from the jar I ate), but I didn't have the correct ingredients or amounts, so I had to improvise a bit. Turned out OK...!

This is what mine had in:

90g hazelnuts, blanched
2tbsp corriander seeds
2tbsp cumin seeds
2tbsp sesame seeds
1tbsp oregano
1tsp salt (this was too much, use less)
1tsp pepper (this was way too much, use much less!)
1tbsp mint (this was an attempt to undo the overly peppered mix - I'm not sure I can taste it much but it 'diluted' the mix enough that it tastes OK now :)

The jar I had also had poppy seeds in, but I didn't have any of those.

I toasted them in a dry frying pan and then pulsed in the blender.

I found one online last night and used that as the basis for mine (as well as the ingredients list from the jar I ate), but I didn't have the correct ingredients or amounts, so I had to improvise a bit. Turned out OK...!

This is what mine had in:

90g hazelnuts, blanched
2tbsp corriander seeds
2tbsp cumin seeds
2tbsp sesame seeds
1tbsp oregano
1tsp salt (this was too much, use less)
1tsp pepper (this was way too much, use much less!)
1tbsp mint (this was an attempt to undo the overly peppered mix - I'm not sure I can taste it much but it 'diluted' the mix enough that it tastes OK now :)

The jar I had also had poppy seeds in, but I didn't have any of those.

I toasted them in a dry frying pan and then pulsed in the blender.

Amazing, thank you so much :thumbs:

This bitter gourd pickle is pretty good, but real spicy.

priya_bitter_ground_pickle_300g.jpg

Also tried Chinese garlic chives for the first time and are fully sold on them due to their strong garlic taste. I got them to make kimchi (my first attempt) and will report back if the kimchi works.
wow, I love bitter melon or Kerala as it's called....I didn't even know they made this. Will have to look for it at the indian store

wow, I love bitter melon or Kerala as it's called....I didn't even know they made this. Will have to look for it at the indian store
That brand also do the hottest garlic pickle I've ever tried - Once again real nice, but as you go through the jar you'll find a few whole pickled scotch bonnets :eek:🔥🔥

Back
Top Bottom