Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What new foods have you tried recently?

I've only had one nice persimmon out of probably ten, and it was not in the UK (possibly Spain, icr). Custard apples also a bit disappointing ime. The name over-promises :mad:
Set me up to fail why don't you. :mad: :D

I don't hold much hope for them though - just a curiosity more than anything else.

Sainsbury's were trying to sell persimmons for Halloween. Not sure if it's cause they're orange or just cause they taste fucking horrific.
They're only horrible if you don't let them get very very ripe. Then they're very sweet.

They're only horrible if you don't let them get very very ripe. Then they're very sweet.
No ta. Have tried often enough to give up on them. I can't even be arsed with peaches anymore because they're only edible for about ten minutes between far too hard and borderline rotten so I'm happy just to ignore persimmons forever.

No ta. Have tried often enough to give up on them. I can't even be arsed with peaches anymore because they're only edible for about ten minutes between far too hard and borderline rotten so I'm happy just to ignore persimmons forever.
To be honest, I have this issue with most fruit which is why I don't eat much of the stuff. I pretty much like apples and raspberries and that's it. Banana's fine in a smoothie, but the texture of the raw fruit ooks me.

Ripe persimmons are such a treat though, and I actually like the mouth-puckering feeling when they're not quite there yet. Weirdo that I am.

I love persimmons. You have to wait till they look like they've been kicked round the yard ( black bits on the outside) otherwise the skin is really tough and bitter. When I first bought them years ago they were advertised as Sharon fruit. You never see that now?

I love persimmons. You have to wait till they look like they've been kicked round the yard ( black bits on the outside) otherwise the skin is really tough and bitter. When I first bought them years ago they were advertised as Sharon fruit. You never see that now?
Think you're lying to me, trying to kill me through food poisoning. :hmm:

I tried arvi/tarot root a few weeks ago. It wasn't bad but it was sort of tasteless. Was a cheap imitation of a potato. :confused:

Sharon are just a variety of persimmon, I think a less sour one. I've had persimmons that are a different shape from sharon fruits and a deeper colour. They were a bit nicer.

I have never tried caviar, but want to. is it worth it? had an ex who loved it, but could only afford lumpfish caviar. anyone tried either lumpfish or beluga (sturgeon - the 'proper' caviar apparently)?

I have never tried caviar, but want to. is it worth it? had an ex who loved it, but could only afford lumpfish caviar. anyone tried either lumpfish or beluga (sturgeon - the 'proper' caviar apparently)?
well if you like fishy and salty then you should like it, its not for everyone. when you bit down on the eggs they pop and make a cool sound in your mouth. I can take it or leave it.

well if you like fishy and salty then you should like it, its not for everyone. when you bit down on the eggs they pop and make a cool sound in your mouth. I can take it or leave it.
it's the sort of thing that used to repel me at the thought of, but I tried taramasalata in a restaurant last year and it was sooo good. nothing like the pink cement you get in supermarkets

Back
Top Bottom