Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Church/Village/Community hall

Votes: 51 58.6%
  • School

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • Other, please state

Votes: 8 9.2%

• Total voters
My current polling station was originally built as a warehouse for American rice during the Seven Years War and is currently shared by the local library and council. Think they might run a police desk and some other stuff from there too.

Previously I got to vote in a small community theatre type place which had done a production of 1984 at some point, and still had a massive BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU sign hanging above the polling booths :D

Before that, I lived inside my local polling station (church building which had partly been converted into a homeless hostel), which was handy.

My usual one is in a care home in the middle of my estate.

At one of the local elections during covid it was moved to the local primary school along with three or four others. I think each of the presiding officers had different ideas about how it was meant to work, so it was suitably chaotic when I went in just after 7am :D

Last edited:
Was a primary school but that has now closed, so this year has changed to a church hall. The last time I was in there was when we hired it for my son's birthday party. Looks a bit austere without balloons in it.
My jiu jitsu club was using a community hall last night at the same time as other people were setting up for it being used as a polling station today, and also the local community gala at the weekend, which was quite a strange combination :D

For years it was a church that I would normally pass on my way to going elsewhere, so quite convenient. A few elections ago it was changed to a church slightly further away and not somewhere I had any reason to go to, so less convenient. Not sure about the reason for the change -- the first church is still a polling station, and on the first occasion I went there, because I hadn't noticed what the polling card was telling me to go somewhere else. As I didn't have the card with me, I didn't know where I was supposed to go, but the people staffing the station were very nice about finding out for me.

Local library, which used to be the local primary school until the late 60s.

On the street behind, 50m from the back room of the flat as the crow flies, but about five times that to actually walk it.

Last edited:
A really rather lovely church hall part of a quadrangle with old almshouses and the church itself.

It always reminds me of Bruges somehow

View attachment 431865
That's lovely. The ex-church that is my polling station does have a nice sandstone frontage, but the rest of it is brick, sadly. No idea what denomination it originally was - will have to do some digging.

I remember the primary schools I went to being used for elections too. Easier when schools were controlled by the LEA I suppose, and cheaper for them in rent costs.

:D at some of the options.

there was something on telly this morning about polling stations in odd places, included a pub and a hairdressers'

i've done postal vote this year, as there was a chance i'd be away for work today, but it's usually local community centre which is right on the edge of the village, so must be a bit of a trek for some people. it's usually split in to two halves so there's two separate 'polling stations' in one 'polling place' and you have to read the notice at the front to see which way you should go depending on what street you live in. (it seems that there's guidance that each polling station should cater for a maximum number of residents.)

and yes, think my primary school was closed (to kids) to be used a polling station at least some times. although my school wasn't where parents went to vote - can't remember whether they voted in a church hall or a different school that was a bit nearer to home.

Back
Top Bottom