Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

I found this on my travels along the Bristol to Bath path :-

mysterypurpleplantlowres.jpg

It doesn't seem to have a square stem ...

Last edited:
And this reputedly medicinal herb that I actually know the name of was growing nearby if one needs cheering up ....

cheerupherblowres.jpg

Last edited:
Bit of a long shot but I have a couple of woodland grasses that I'd like to ID, if anyone knows anything about them?

ok here goes, 1st one is short 20cm and thin, 2nd is tall 80cm.... found in an ashwood where half the trees have been recently felled.

possibly deschampsia or a wood millet (milium effusum) and maybe tall fescue? Bit of a wild guess though.
The earlier pics looked like purple moor grass, molinia purpurea and a St.John's Wort.

My grasses... the first one is Deschampsia cespitosa I reckon. And the 2nd - Wood Melick, Melica uniflora.

looks like a flowering currant... they have the nicest smelling flowers in the world ever!

We have one in the garden and although the bees love the flowers I always think they smell like cat piss.
I left around the time it might have been flowering or fruiting I guess.

I'll give it a smell test next year. If they invent smellable uploads by then, I'll give you all a sniff :D

I must make a note to sniff the ones in the park if they're still there - and I have yet to experience Kalidarkone's sorbus sensation

What the fungk is this thing? The leaves are fairly fragile, and reminds me a bit of wood sorrel... you know, those green, three-leaved edible things you find on the forest floor at certain spots... could it belong to the same plant family? Or is it something else... love the colour!

IMG_6062.JPG

Last edited:
What the fungk is this thing? The leaves are fairly fragile, and reminds me a bit of wood sorrel... you know, those green, three-leaved edible things you find on the forest floor at certain spots... could it belong to the same plant family? Or is it something else... love the colour!

View attachment 50829
I think it's an Oxalis but can't be sure.

ETA: which I've just discovered is what Wood Sorrel is!

ETA 2: You learn something new every day. ☺

Last edited:
I think it's an Oxalis but can't be sure.

ETA: which I've just discovered is what Wood Sorrel is!

ETA 2: You learn something new every day. ☺
- Aha! Sounds like we might be on the right track, then? :)

- Splendid! Thank you... :) I quite fancy getting one of those now, but with my lack of green fingers I'd probably kill the poor thing off in just a few weeks! :eek: Succulents for me, then... :oops: ((( long-suffering houseplants... )))

Last edited:
Anyone know what this is? Grows wild at the bottom of hedgerows round here. Lovely pinky red flower and quite a pungent smell. Mrs Soul and the little souls all love it.

yifEqLg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom