Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

How about this one? it was growing in clumps 2 to 3 feet high in a young ash woodland plantation in Yorkshire...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63881028@N04/9407224018/in/photostream/
Bingo

Any updates on this ? Or was it just a one-off visit to the site. ?

I had a similar thing a few years back - photographed it on a cycle ride 10 miles from home in the autumn or late winter.

wallpapercroppedlowres.jpg

This was my desktop wallpaper for some time and it was over a year before I found myself back there, but earlier in the year and figured out what it was.

I'm pretty certain that's what mine was.
I pass it all the time on rides, but I'd never seen it look like that before. :)
And if you google it, you'll struggle to find any images that look like that.

I'm sure when I went back to the site I took photos of young plants, but I'm struggling to find the photos at the moment.
Unfortunately Google street view is a winter shot in a year when they'd scythed the verge.

I have a mystery plant/tree for Urbanz to identify. It grows in a garden in Brittany, and the main plant looks like this:

qizw.png

(don't be confused by the ivy-covered trunk)

It seems to put out runners, which look like this (these are getting a bit big, so here are clickable thumbnails):-

And here's some detail of the leaves:-

TIA, Urbans!

I know what it is, but didn't know where else to post it.
I simply had to stop on the way in to point my bike-cam at this very impressive urban weed growing out of a remarkably small gap.

pavementcoltsfoot.jpg

I'll go back and get a proper photo before someone cuts it down or the council comes and poisons it.

Your photo looks more like Meadowsweet. :)
Actually you could be right ...

Photos certainly show brown stems. I've never seen it massed like that - or up on a dry verge... but then I've never seen a solid bank of golden rod either.

My photo suggests it was March 2012 so after a fairly unpleasant winter.

Coltsfoot or Gunnera? (can't tell myself) - more megaleaved monsters here: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/223/
Definitely coltsfoot - but tussilago, not petasites (damn these "country names" ! )
Same plant family though (asteracea - daisy)

I encountered petasites (butterbur) for the first time a few years back.
It emerges looking like this - when I first saw it I wondered if it was a variety of the parasitic plant broomrape.

petasites_albus.jpg

The native variety makes big leaves along riverbanks.

aaaPetasites-Stonecrop-MG.JPG

But on the same ride where I saw the meadowsweet (?), there was a garden escape of the giant Japanese variety.

well it kind of looks like it but that's a few inches high, this is up to 3 foot!! Arg :)
Yes - the lotuses I usually see are close to the ground on impoverished, fairly open situations, so it's an odd business all around.

There are rather a lot of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lotus_(genus)

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised - I used to think willowherb was willowherb, but I now have 4 species in my front garden, one more in the back - and I've just noticed I'm cycling past a 6th every evening. :)

any ideas? the leaves feel sticky.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1376748563312.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1376748563312.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 10
Back
Top Bottom