Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Ah, thank you! For some reason I thought it was a monkey puzzle despite having almost no knowledge of trees at all. It just looks like it should be :D Why the fuck anyone would want something that big growing outside their house and blocking all the light is beyond me, but it's an amazing thing.

Ah, thank you! For some reason I thought it was a monkey puzzle despite having almost no knowledge of trees at all. It just looks like it should be :D Why the fuck anyone would want something that big growing outside their house and blocking all the light is beyond me, but it's an amazing thing.
They're relatively slow growing ....
monkeypuzzles.jpg

These were probably about 6 feet high when I was a kid in the 60s ...

It's like the towering bamboo in my garden. I know I have to bite the bullet and chop it down this year to have any chance of getting the roots out before I have to sell the house, but it's going to be traumatic. :(

Maybe it's a strong survivor....not sure where they are originally from though?

Chilean pine they are :) I love them have a few 3/4 yr old ones in the garden(from seed), still need to find homes for a few of them I suppose. Not that they are going to grow massive in my lifetime.

what is this shrub? i love the shape as it splits & branches out

ygu5y9y7.jpg

rhus typhina - sumac
You can get delightful photo-dermatitis from the sap !
I believe it's related to "poison oak" .

mysteryplant.jpg

After years of walking past this garden I've just figured out what the yellow-flowered one on the left is, but it's the trumpet-flowered one at the back I have yet to identify.

Some sort of ornamental poppy aye. There's a bunch growing freely on a park verge on my way home, tempted to try and pinch the seed pods to grow some at hone (free plants) but not sure how well they'd do? Presumably you need to wait for the pods to dry out properly before getting the seeds?

I chucked out a dried flower arrangement about 10 years ago and ended up with a whole front garden-full.
Even when they were finished and had become a pile of poppy straw, they attracted no interest from the locals making their way to and from the chemist around the corner.
(More than once I actually had empty methadone bottles dumped in my garden.)

poppies.jpg

I brought this plant of these today at a market - forgot the name as soon as I got home :facepalm: - any ideas? It began with an S.

namedatplant.jpg

What kind of tree is this, if you please? I am in south China at the moment and there are masses of these trees which grow huge vines off their branches. Maybe I've always been walking round with my eyes closed, but I don't think I've ever seen trees like this before.

998850_10151560446443226_1246760765_n.jpg

sorry no pics but there's broadleaf tree i see on my walk that's totally laden with white fluff atm. the ground underneath it looks like someone's had a massive pillow fight :D any ideas?

Is it?

I'm sure someone told me that fluffy stuff came from plane trees. I used to suffer badly when I worked next to St James's Park. Itching and rashes from that stuff coming off the trees

the leaf's wrong on a plane tree, looks like a maple, the leaves on this one look like that ^ pic.

It's the first thing our Nigel sniffs in the morning, and the last thing she sniffs on the way back in. Really, really deep lungfuls, complete with that open-mouthed 'oooo that's an interesting smell' look cats get when they're sniffing things onto that gland they have.

80dc2807.png

IMAG1126.jpg

IMAG1125.jpg

I am wondering if it's known to be a shrub that attracts cats.

This looks to me like the Osmanthus Burkwoodii. As where I work, we grow this plant. (And I'm not Nadia, just borrowed her id...)

Back
Top Bottom