Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

580924_592233337473842_2080193227_n.jpg

anyone know what the red bush is called please? small red rounded leaves and no bloom. thanks

I encountered this on my travels over the weekend.
This one is moderately smelly - and I'm guessing it's in the mint family ...

View attachment 32809

That's ground ivy. Glechoma hedera.

It's labiatae, as you say.The stem is square when you twirl it through your fingertips, a characteristic of this family.

Good medicine. One of my favourites.

The flavour is more minty this year than ever I recall in the past. Maybe because of the wet? But the smell results from the volatiles, a defence against the heat of summer so.... :hmm::confused:

I've kind of ended up with these ...what are they?

Is the bottom one just the same type as the top one, they are getting on my nerves a bit as they're like rabbits - they look ok in the top one, but get all these straggly bits hanging down, hundreds of the blighters, have run out of people to pot them up for and give away....and they end up looking manky and worn out - i feel sorry for it....is there an ideal way to keep them loking like the top one? thanks

sempervivum :)
just googled them..are they for outdoors? :hmm: That would make things so much easier, i've been trying to contain them in indoor pots, outdoors i could let them do what they wish in a pot...but the ones i've googled havent got the dangly bits?

Pretty sure they all are. hardy.
Also called houseleeks and apparently only do well "in houses where the woman wears the trousers" :rolleyes:
They will want free-draining soil - popular for living roofs as they're slow-growing .

They're probably pretty diverse in the way they grow - and it probably depends how much space, nutrition and water they get.

It does actually make perfect sense what you've said, for them to mat form as a living roof....i've been trying to keep them in pots and they get all heavy ended and the rosettes growing down the strands get not much water/ food i expect...they shrivel and go sorry for themselves...will shove one in a sink out the back tomorrow and wish it well.

I agree with gg on the mahonia and the other one is probably a photinia (I think)
The second one is a photinia. Got two in the garden. Also got a mahonia but it doesn't look like that(possibly because I've been trying to kill it for a while) :)

is it a monkey puzzle tree? if so I think jet is meant to form underneath it :hmm:...but am probably wrong.

I had no idea that jet is specifically petrified monkey puzzle - but the vegetation was very different back then.

Back
Top Bottom