Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Yes, that was the plan, two of these (one red, one green) and a Chinese fan palm with smaller yellow grass like plants inbetween. I also finished the other tropical bed at the weekend - two phormiums which should grow pretty big and some hostas, red hot pokers and a few other things planted around them for more colour/height.

Almost lost the red cordyline in the high winds when I planted it and it was yet to establish its roots but its looking better now.
That sounds good :)

They have really shallow roots and I think the red ones might need some protection in winter - if you tie up all the leaves with a couple of pieces of string/raffia into a topknot and pop a bit of fleece over the top, that would work. I've lost both my red ones in the snow (but the green ones have all survived)

That sounds good :)

They have really shallow roots and I think the red ones might need some protection in winter - if you tie up all the leaves with a couple of pieces of string/raffia into a topknot and pop a bit of fleece over the top, that would work. I've lost both my red ones in the snow (but the green ones have all survived)

Cheers, I've read conflicting reports on how hardy the more colourful ones are. Looking at the examples near my house some have survived the winter and some didn't. I think position and shelter might be the difference and although my front garden gets full afternoon its also very windy and a bit exposed so I reckon I should protect both cordylines in the winter. I reckon the Chinese fan palm will be alright.

Yes, that was the plan, two of these (one red, one green) and a Chinese fan palm with smaller yellow grass like plants inbetween. I also finished the other tropical bed at the weekend - two phormiums which should grow pretty big and some hostas, red hot pokers and a few other things planted around them for more colour/height.

Almost lost the red cordyline in the high winds when I planted it and it was yet to establish its roots but its looking better now.

I can't seem to grow red hot pokers. Maybe they don't like containers?

I can't seem to grow red hot pokers. Maybe they don't like containers?
It'll depend how big the container is.
I believe they're from coastal South Africa - probably like well-drained soil.
They form enormous clumps..
Same plant family though.

My Cordyline has always been stunted growing in a huge builder's tub.

It'll depend how big the container is.
I believe they're from coastal South Africa - probably like well-drained soil.
They form enormous clumps..
Same plant family though.

My Cordyline has always been stunted growing in a huge builder's tub.

Have just come across this as you were posting this post

Pots, Barrels, Tubs & Urns

Kniphofia are generally not recommended for containers because mature plants grow into large clumps that often measure 2-3 feet across.
:(

My cordyline's in a pretty small pot as well. Don't know whether to repot it into something bigger. It's there under the Walliachiana fern, looking a bit battered

DSC08589.JPG

Cheers, I've read conflicting reports on how hardy the more colourful ones are. Looking at the examples near my house some have survived the winter and some didn't. I think position and shelter might be the difference and although my front garden gets full afternoon its also very windy and a bit exposed so I reckon I should protect both cordylines in the winter. I reckon the Chinese fan palm will be alright.
I live on the coast which has what's done for my red cordyline (it gets very windy here unsurprisingly!). My Chinese fan palm doesn't seem to mind it, even though it's taller than the fence. The older leaves get tatty in winter with the wind/snow so I just chop them off close to the trunk in spring.

I live on the coast which has what's done for my red cordyline (it gets very windy here unsurprisingly!). My Chinese fan palm doesn't seem to mind it, even though it's taller than the fence. The older leaves get tatty in winter with the wind/snow so I just chop them off close to the trunk in spring.

What about cordylines, are you supposed to cut them back or just chop off tatty leaves or leave them?

Was that me? :eek: :D

If you chop off tatty leaves, you're not actually hurting the plant (providing you don't cut off *all* the leaves :D)

I don't know who told me to, but I was reluctant to, but did it anyway (ie. I cut the trunk right down) :D

Anyway, it's sprouting this year, but whether it will actually grow anything :hmm: Then again, last year was such a crap summer, that that may have had more to do with it :D

The cordyline trashpony sent me some years ago has been VERY hardy but it's a normal one. It survived that bad winter(6 weeks below 0 degrees) :cool:

Minnie I don't think my lilies did much last year and they are grown from a corm so cutting them back shouldn't be bad for them, unless you cut them too early?? Let the foliage start to die off maybe top 5/6 inches before cutting them.

The cordyline trashpony sent me some years ago has been VERY hardy but it's a normal one. It survived that bad winter(6 weeks below 0 degrees) :cool:

Minnie I don't think my lilies did much last year and they are grown from a corm so cutting them back shouldn't be bad for them, unless you cut them too early?? Let the foliage start to die off maybe top 5/6 inches before cutting them.

Well you'll have to remind me about that at the end of this year if it grows back :D

I'm only joking about whoever telling me to cut them back. I know they were telling me for my own good and the good of the plant :D

As I went on to say though:

:p

You don't kill herbaceous perennials by cutting them down in autumn/spring. Honestly. But you can blame me if you like, I don't mind :D

I wouldn't blame you at all. I trust you to give honest advice :)

I can't even remember which one I cut down, the orange one or the red one. I think I binned one, but I've no idea which one :facepalm:

I've always cut all my ferns right back Minnie_the_Minx, gives the new fronds lots of light :cool:

I've never cut the Wallichiana (pictured in post 275) back and that's got over 20 new fronds as you can see!

I've never cut back the 'Cristata' Golden Male Fern either (bottom left of picture), although that just seems to stay as it is. I don't seem to get any new fronds on that.

I thought last year I had killed my Irish Tatting Fern by cutting it right back, but new fronds started, but really late. Didn't cut back the Japanese Painted Fern either. There's three I cut back this time, but I can't remember which is which as writing on labels has faded :facepalm:

My ferns are big and look bloody awful if I don't cut them back, it's not essential, I chop everything down to the ground :D

My thyme has all died cos of my scorched earth policy :facepalm:

My ferns are big and look bloody awful if I don't cut them back, it's not essential, I chop everything down to the ground :D

My thyme has all died cos of my scorched earth policy :facepalm:

But I want them to be big!

Sounds like it'd be easier for you to just get a flame thrower :D

Yeah, mine started off little, they grow bigger every year even with the chopping, they're just last year's fronds.

I've compromised. I've cut half of them back and left the others as they are. I ain't cutting back my Wallichiana. It's taken nearly 3 years to get from this
Wallich's Wood Fern 26.6.11.jpg

to this

DSC08588.JPG

I did cut off maybe 10 fronds though that were getting tatty or that had got bent and were drooping

In the good old days you would always come across people with trailing cuttings to spare.
Though maybe not such a good cultivar as that.

Back
Top Bottom