Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Do you only have a phone camera ?

Difficult to identify a tree like that with just leaves.

It looks a bit poorly.

The standard error is keeping them too warm. It may even need to be outdoors.

Do you only have a phone camera ?

Difficult to identify a tree like that with just leaves.

It looks a bit poorly.

The standard error is keeping them too warm. It may even need to be outdoors.

It does look a little poorly, it hasn't been fed any fertilizer since I bought it and I've been a bit shit with watering too. If I've got the species right this one should be kept indoors. It's definitely not been kept too warm! I'll try and get some fertillizer in, maybe even make my own? Wish I had some nettles around here, soaked in water they make for great fertilizing.

When you're starting out with a plant, it's likely to be easier to buy some ready-formulated fertiliser - Chempak is a reliable brand . It's low nitrogen and relatively high potash - so nettles might work - but you need phosphate too ... urine ?

Chempak has all the trace elements in as well ..

Their tiny pots of bonsai fertiliser aren't very good value - their number 8 is very similar ..

http://www.greendragonbonsai.co.uk/BONSAI_FEED_AT_GREEN_DRAGON_BONSAI.htm

A problem with some shop bought plants can be that they simply haven't been watered enough while 'on the shelf' and are therefore suffering before anyone actually buys them.

Can you gather rain water at all? This is generally better for bonsai than tap water iirc. They DO need quite a bit of water so it would be worth getting a saucer, bowl, marg tub big enough to fit the tree into so it can have a bit of a reservoir iykwim :)

Good advice everyone. I can gather rainwater, no problem. Will look into what fertiliser it needs. It's already sat on a tray that retains some water, should I get a bigger one?

You don't HAVE to do the whole root pruning thing. You can limit growth simply by keeping a tree in a small tub. I have some trees that are over 10 yrs old but look like saplings because they are still in small pots. I simply ran out of room in the garden for more trees. The couple that got planted(after about 3 years!) are heading towards proper tree size though.

Proper bonsai is a lifestyle ime! :D People devote themselves to it!

You don't HAVE to do the whole root pruning thing. You can limit growth simply by keeping a tree in a small tub. I have some trees that are over 10 yrs old but look like saplings because they are still in small pots. I simply ran out of room in the garden for more trees. The couple that got planted(after about 3 years!) are heading towards proper tree size though.

Proper bonsai is a lifestyle ime! :D People devote themselves to it!

It's religious for some peeps, Zen style. It's still alive anyway, tho not looking much better. Have been watering it with rainwater collected in a bucket full of old flowers and shit to give it some nutrients - is this wise do people think?

my mate's tree has just sprouted these lovely blue flowers...wow! Any ideas?

Attachments

• DSC00011.jpg
    DSC00011.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 15
There are a few of those in peoples front gardens round here. They get completely covered in dusty blue :cool:

Can't eat it or smoke it...
You can eat the berries on this, Mahonia.

mahonia.jpg

It's also known as Oregon Grape.

Back
Top Bottom