Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

this wasn't quite what I was after...

preview_bd63f7ab868c473392582547f2c2bca9.jpg

does anyone want it?

The Keble book is good though, and think I've ID-ed 4/5 of my photos so far :)

Sold (ok free) to the lady with maybe a few too many books on flora (I promise I won't tell your husband ;)).

thank you kindly :)
I've been having a book cataloguing discussion with Very Tall Lodger. I refuse to have anything to do with Excel in a non-work context, but he's going to build a little database for my library. This will cheer Pickman's Model who knows the saga of my books (not sorted in any way but a mad jumble on bookshelves around the house for nearly nine years). I think Pickman's estimated I had 3000 but that was some time ago and I just can't help myself. :oops:

Thanks gg for the tip, I think you're dead right. Peculiar thing, flowering in autumn/winter. Looks like Fatsia Japonica now I know what to look up.

Anyone know what this is? we put in a raised bed a couple of months ago and loads of its coming up. Mr Shakes is worried it will take over the gardenplant.jpg

I think it might be feverfew. Very pretty, easily pulled up if you don't want it. Basically nature abhors a vacuum and if there's not something else growing there, weeds will establish themselves.

I've got loads of feverfew in my garden and something about the photo isn't quite right imo. It's not as compact as mine but could that be coz I'm further north? :confused:
Have you got plastic/rubber gloves you could put on and go and crush the leaf to see if it smells??(just in case it's summat not good for you)

I have been out and found a wee plant, just going to take a photo. I can't link it since they changed flickr.
'Xcuse my foot, I wanted to get the plant to stand right!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/76184378@N00/6560519533/in/photostream

I've got a fantastic book about weeds with photos of weeds in all stages of develeopment but I've got to track it down.
:oops: nine years since moving and my books are still not in order :oops:

I've been meaning to post this up for months.

Any idea what this is? It popped up in the summer. It was about a metre tall when I took the photo. It seems to be deciduous although it could be the deer have eaten all the leaves.

5919345114_dea75a026b_z.jpg

Possibly some kind of sycamore type sapling. I'm not good with all the trees you get down south.
I don't think it's a sycamore. If you look in the background at the top right of the first photo I posted you'll see some sycamore saplings. We get a lot of them and I'm always getting rid of the them. The young leaves on the sycamore are reddish brown at first and the leaves are broader than this "thing".

My first thought was some sort of garden escape...there is something familiar about that...yellow flowers? I thought something Ligularia-ish maybe, because at the base the leaves look a bit roundy but I'm not sure if it's part of the same plant.

My first thought was some sort of garden escape...there is something familiar about that...yellow flowers? I thought something Ligularia-ish maybe, because at the base the leaves look a bit roundy but I'm not sure if it's part of the same plant.
I've had a google-look at photos of Ligularias and the thing in my garden looks more shrubby or tree-like. It didn't have any flowers. I think the leaves around the base are probably other weeds. It's on a very steep chalky bank which leads to the woods and it's impossible to "garden" so I try to keep it free of tree saplings but otherwise let it go wild as you can probably tell from the photos! :D

My first thought was mallow, but that's more straggly - definitely looks tree-like - some other kind of maple ?

I did once buy a ligularia for the nearly black stems ..

My first thought was mallow, but that's more straggly - definitely looks tree-like - some other kind of maple ?

I did once buy a ligularia for the nearly black stems ..
I wondered about other types of maple but I wasn't able to find any images with matching leaves. Maybe I should look again.

I got a bonsai tree from Tescos ( :eek::cool:) before Christmas, but have no idea what species it actually is. Any ideas? Also, how much water do these feckers need?

bonsai.jpg

Because of the root pruning and constraint, they take a lot of work - and watering.
Full-on bonsai are strictly outdoor - need treating a bit like alpines.

Presumably that's supposed to be an "easy" / "indoor" one ?

The photo really isn't good enough ...

Because of the root pruning and constraint, they take a lot of work - and watering.
Full-on bonsai are strictly outdoor - need treating a bit like alpines.

Presumably that's supposed to be an "easy" / "indoor" one ?

The photo really isn't good enough ...

Click for a larger version :) Presumably it's an easy job yes, but really I have no clue. Also, what do you mean "like alpines"?

Back
Top Bottom