Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

I think I half-heartedly buried some polythene down there, but it wasn't nearly enough. There's a huge pile of bamboo trimmings there now - amazingly it does appear to be rotting down a bit ...

Inherited this from an old housemate, ID please? The leaves are quite waxy, and new leaves unfurl beautifully to form big ones in the space of a couple of weeks. I'm guessing it needs a bigger pot?

Attachments

• Iphone.pics1.08 461.jpg
    Iphone.pics1.08 461.jpg
    162.7 KB · Views: 18
mmm bigger pot and some general plant food.
Bigger pot. certainly some fresh compost - generally a less risky way to feed them than actual fertiliser- though it looks like it's been starved and/or over-watered .

Best to see what the root system is like - may be better to shake off some old compost rather than going up too big a jump in pot size and hence making watering problematic ..

*bump*

Can anyone recommend a British flower / wild flower ID book? I'm forever taking photos, but have no idea what the plants are. Thanks :)

@Biddlybee

My very favourite is the Reverend Keble* Martin's Concise British Flora
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Keble_Martin

*pronounced keeble

...but the Readers Digest Field Guide to Wild Flowers is really good, easier to use for general ID and less unwieldy. Get the older edition that looks like this, I like it much more than the more recent edition.
ee111.jpg

I bet you can get it from abebooks.co.uk which is an online bookshop of masses of secondhand bookshops. I use it all the time....

I put it in my basket, along with this one (because I think I'll like the illustrations), thank you.

I will post some pics up if I still can't work out what the flower are :)

Thanks :), but I'm not sure I can do it justice. I'm really not gardening at the moment :(- and in these times of austerity I'm feeling inclined to concentrate on edibles ...

I don't suppose it's edible ? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom