Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Has anyone got an idea what this strange thing is that's appeared in my garden?
It started off as an alien looking spikey stalk like this

bot.jpg

Then a couple of weeks ago it went a bit crazy

full.jpg

and looks like it's going to flower

top.jpg

There are a lot of plants that are poisonous. Do you have daffodils in the garden?? The foliage is highly toxic so keep an eye on the wee one while they're out there if you do.

Caper spurge. Not the right sort to put on your pasta ! :eek:
And you may want to wear gloves if you're handling it. (caustic sap)

I like Euphorbias though - surreal greeny yellow bracts.

I must sow some castor oil plants next year ....

.. though ricin has been hyped up so much it gives me the willies just handling the seeds.

Caper spurge. Not the right sort to put on your pasta ! :eek:
And you may want to wear gloves if you're handling it. (caustic sap)

I like Euphorbias though - surreal greeny yellow bracts.

I must sow some castor oil plants next year ....

.. though ricin has been hyped up so much it gives me the willies just handling the seeds.
I like Euphorbias too! They come in a huge range of varieties from things like Lathyris and pointsettia through to almost cactus-like plants.

I've got a Euphorbia amygdaloides Purpurea growing in the garden like this:

euphorbia-amygdaloides-purpurea.jpg

... and as my "Crown of Thorns" had outgrown its pot indoors I've optimistically put it in the garden.

euphorbia_milii_v_splendens_2_440.jpg

I'm pretty sure it won't cope with a winter but I've got a couple more indoors still.

Now you've reminded me it's time to get myself another Crown of Thorns - so cheerful. :)

I was a bit disappointed to find out that poinsettias don't actually have toxic sap. ;)

Those euphorbia thingies are right fuckers to get to stop growing out of places you don't want them to grow.

No idea what the bush was/is from this distance, but I think I spy a lot of golden rod (solidago) in the bed in front of it ..

I don't really need so much help with roses and sunflowers...

Just googled maize and I don't think so.

john_clayton_honeysuckle.jpg

honeysuckle looks like a distinct possibility, cheers.

The other one, lily, lotus flower, orchid, something rhyzomy?

i think these innocent lookin dudes are going to turn into horrible spikey beasts...
013.jpg

i like the look of this little guy, as far as i can see, he's the only one of his kind in the wilderness
014.jpg

these are my favourites, what are they and how do i make more of them?
017.jpg

mostly golden rod and nettles, these have got to go...
011.jpg

what's this? is he a keeper?
012.jpg

i'd like to get some branches and leaves to cover up the trunk, but how?
005.jpg

quite like this, the bark is very dry and cracked, looks good imo.
006.jpg

i like the flowers and so do the bees, but it wraps around everything and is a bit annoying really, what is the best thing to do with it?
004.jpg

pretty sure this is mint!
001.jpg

Pretty sure that's not mint. Looks like dog's mercury. Crush one of the leaves and if it's not minty it's not mint.

more ground elder...
009.jpg

this is the tree/bush i cut down yesterday...
007.jpg

should i chop the other branches off, will it still grow back?
008.jpg

i like these
010.jpg

The thing you cut back looks like forsythia - named by one of Bruce's ancestors - yellow flowers before leaves ?

I'm never sure about how far back you can cut it or how late - I think it will flower on the new wood that grows this year.

The bottom thing looks like some sort of potentilla - strawberry relative - or a geum - I suspect it will spread all by itself ...

... on the other hand, buttercups also have 5 petals ... :hmm:

post112 pic 3 looks lily like to me, but could be willow herb. Hard to tell from the photo. The foliage surrounding the spiky thing in pic2 is imo a horrid weed with stinky flowers that deserves to die 100 deaths.

post 114, divert some of the white periwinkle(iirc) pic3 to the bottom of the tree, let it climb up that or get a honeysuckle, bees love that too. I'm with Mrs M on pic 4, looks herby but not mint.

post 116 pic 4 another(imo) bloody weed!!

I can send you poppy seeds if you want better wild flowers :)

Back
Top Bottom