Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

There's a flowering currant in the community garden on my estate and it's such a herald of spring. Everything has its place. It's really useful for showing people how to take cuttings from woody material too.

I can't say I've ever noticed it smelling bad.
Flowering currants, and black currant bushes on allotments have always been a key spring thing for me too.

Along with the unique smell of elder when you cut it. I always seemed to be clearing elder on allotments.

...anyway, back to the mystery tree. More pics to try and ID it. I've trawled through books, google images and anywhere else I think might help. It's crossed my mind that the fruits could be galled, eg a knopper gall doesn't look like an acorn.april 2011 easter holidays 024 small.jpg

Sorry it's out of focus, but it gives a better idea of shape than the previous pic.

..and the white blossom, according to the owners, is apple/cherry-like, not like laburnum or robinia. From what I could see, the remnants of the stamens support that.

I did wonder about that. Apart from the very immature fruits all the pods are like that (see first pic I posted above with immature fruit at the top).

Same principle as cuboid watermelons and very straight cucumbers for horticultural shows....

peras_budas.jpg

I don't think so. I've not seen the flowers but they've been described as like apple blossom. They're not gardeners but the wife is a country girl of a certain age, so she knows what apple blossom looks like.

I think I know where you're going with the waxy flowers thing...I've been googling a-gogo.

I actually knew what this was as soon as I saw it.

DSCN5460.JPG

The groundsmen at work clearly did too and kept the mower off ...

Back
Top Bottom