Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Also the way it sends out branches, just seems typical growing habit. I think there are a few different varieties so have a fossick about on gardening sites until you're satisfied it's the exact type.

Also, honeysuckle does have a very distinctive smell. It's not known as a cat attractor AFAIK, but Quoad's cat might have a thing for it.

To be honest, the leaves look like ash. But that wouldn't be a bush.

I think I'll leave this to the experts.

The leaves do NOT look like ash. Ash leaves aren't shiny!! It looks to me like box privet which has been badly neglected and in severe need of pruning back into shape or taken out totally. It won't be the shrub itself she's interested in it'll be whatever else is marking the shrub ime. It's also definetly NOT an acer or maple. Kabbes stick to your numbers mate coz you don't seem to have a clue about shrubs/trees :D

i have another bush question for you garden detectives :)

what's this plant? it's flowering now and smells like when i was a kid :) (obvs it's not the ivy bits, i know what they are)

5621810159_aa9e16dd3a.jpg

Jesus quoad, you are like a fountain of the most mundane, suburban queries known to man :D how the hell are you? :)

Well, I was in Paddington today in a garden and there's a tree that I have no idea as to what it is. Weird pale green slightly knobbly okra-like pods. My google fingers have been letting me down :(

Yup, cherry laurel again. It's popular in municipal plantings because it's really hardy and just gets on with it. As to the smell, not everyone's sense of smell is the same. I'm in the rank camp.

Well, I was in Paddington today in a garden and there's a tree that I have no idea as to what it is. Weird pale green slightly knobbly okra-like pods. My google fingers have been letting me down :(

Are they pods that have been set this year ?

Yup. I was going to attach a pic but have forgotten how :oops: They start off like tiny little green cherries. The blossom is white, similar to apple blossom.

Remembered how to do it...any ideas as to what it is? I've managed to include both a big pod and a not yet grown one. The tree is deciduous.april 2011 easter holidays 017 PODS.jpg

That's an amazing level of productivity so early in the year - I haven't even seen robinias et al. flowering yet ...

It's in a very sheltered courtyard in central London. I cut it back for the owners a couple of years ago. They thought it was a cherry tree, planted 30 years ago from a cherry stone. It's flourished since I cut it back and has produced its pods for the first time.

Flowering Currant smells of cats piss, but weirdly, only if you cut it and put it in a vase.
I hate, and I mean HATE the smell of flowering currant. When I moved here, the parks were full of the blasted things. Ugh, it's a disgusting smell even if not cut & put in a vase. It's absolutely no use to humans as you can't even eat the fruits! Loathsome smelling, useless ornamental plant!

Back
Top Bottom