Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

Hmmm a quick Google of hobak reveals courgettes mostly. I don think that's right. They are ginorm...

I asked the neighbour, she couldn't answer as she doesn't speak English. I'll have to catch the fella.
That picture looks right though Dandred ..

Hmmm a quick Google of hobak reveals courgettes mostly. I don think that's right. They are ginorm...

I asked the neighbour, she couldn't answer as she doesn't speak English. I'll have to catch the fella.
That picture looks right though Dandred ..

Hobak is pumkin in Korean, what you have is baby pumpkin. There isn't much difference in translation, but Korean and English are very far apart. Trust me, they are baby pumkins. Normal Korean pumpkins look like this.

SDC19946-480x360.jpg

Not sure if this is the best thread for posting as I know what this plant is - a common viburnum - but having been healthy for 15yrs it is suddenly looking pretty damned ropey. The black markings on the tops of the leaves are shiny - almost oily. There are some aphid-y looking critters on the underside and more gunk on the end of hairs on the underside. Never known a viburnum succumb to anything other than mildew. Anyone know what this is or where I might get some it identified?
2014-09-14 11.14.39_resized.jpg 2014-09-14 11.14.56_resized.jpg 2014-09-14 11.22.13_resized.jpg

ETA - may be thrips (never heard of that before!)

Last edited:
If there were thrips, the fungus it now has would obscure the damage.
Thrip larvae carve loads of shiny paths all over the leaves.

EDIT :- research says you may be right ... I've only ever had one mild thrip infestation and killed them in time.
The adults will surely have flown by now.
They pupate in the soil beneath the plants.

Specifiacally, Google Image search suggests

white heath aster 'Blue Star'
Aster ericoides 'Blue Star' | Also known as: Michaelmas daisy 'Blue Star', Aster 'Blue Star'

Specifiacally, Google Image search suggests

white heath aster 'Blue Star'
Aster ericoides 'Blue Star' | Also known as: Michaelmas daisy 'Blue Star', Aster 'Blue Star'
cheers, huge gorgeous swathes of them at the gardens we were in last weekend [emoji4]

I've grown some rudbeckias this year - the only problem is they insist on turning towards the sun so I don't get the full benefit from the house ..

Anyone knows what this is and if it's toxic. The dog of a friend of a friend apparently passed out after eating one flower and one leaf....:eek:

10672244_10152448940762333_606006261798266227_n.jpg

It's an anemone.
In the buttercup family and only mildly toxic.
Or it may be a wild potentilla (strawberry relative) and completely harmless.
There are at least three different plants in that photo.

I thought it was a geranium but, when I went into my garden to collect a specimen leaf from my geranium, it looked different...

I've said it before, but every member of the buttercup family is toxic to some degree - though I think only a few common ones are very poisonous (aconite and hellebores for instance)
The only edible thing in that family is nigella seed (wrongly called "onion seed")- used in Indian cooking - and even that is probably best only consumed in moderation.

A totally boffin friend of mine (30 years as a professional ecologist) writes......

"This is a geranium, looking like the ornamental pencilled crane's-bill type. They are regularly planted and can escape into the wild. All geraniums are slightly toxic and will make animals and humans sick if eaten. It's a pencilled cranes-bill Geranium versicolor."

A totally boffin friend of mine (30 years as a professional ecologist) writes......

... All geraniums are slightly toxic and will make animals and humans sick if eaten. It's a pencilled cranes-bill Geranium versicolor."

Well I suppose it's telling that there isn't a family member that's actually routinely eaten.
Even the solanaceae have those !

PFAF doesn't have either of those, but other relatives aren't listed as being toxic ..

http://www.pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Geranium pratense

Perhaps the dog swallowed something else as well ...

The friend said the dog may have felt ill in the first place and that why it ate the plant: to try and make itself sick..... So it may not have been the plant that made the dog keel over but the underlying illness that was causing the dog to eat it in the first place.

Thanks for everyone's contributions..... :)

9248678-large.jpg

A BIZARRE octopus like fungus has been found by a walker on Dartmoor.

Lucy Purdy was taking the stroll when she was hit by the smell of rotting flesh.

Intrigued she found the creature which bears a close resemblance to an octopus, with red 'tentacles' emerging from a pod lying on the ground.

She took a quick snap of the putrid pod and sent it into the workers at Devon Wildlife Trust, who identified it as Clathrus Archeri.

Read more: http://www.middevongazette.co.uk/Ra...tory-25771896-detail/story.html#ixzz3NEV9lUtC

Sorry, no pic as of yet but trying to find the name of a plant type I spotted yesterday where the stem is massive and looks a little bit in shape and form like ginger? (light brown, bulbous stem, etc.) ... and just with green leaves on top of that. I realise I'm shit at explaining this, but it really bugs me because I Must Know... (!) :confused:

Back
Top Bottom