Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

A bit early, but it looks a bit like a pumpkin seedling - though the stalk is rather thin - some sort of climber ?

Fat seed so probably didn't fall far from the plant... a shame the seed shell isn't still around ...

I suspect you'll need to keep us updated as it takes shape. :)

Last edited:
I was suspecting it might be a beech seed or something, found a clump of em growing near a river under the tree, they were a lovely shape.

I'll be sure to go back and keep tabs on em.

Looks a bit like an "evening primrose" to me. Although the flowers aren't quite right. bi0boy - Do the flowers open or face up during the day ?

Ah, Oenothera erythrosepala - classed as a garden escape, but should flower in June - so that spot must be very sheltered.

E2A - garden variety of "Star of Bethlehem" or some form of lily.

Last edited:
I reckon beech mast must be much tastier than sycamore.
I cycle through mixed woodland every day and the sycamores are popping up everywhere, but I have yet to spot a beech seedling.
I'll make a point of getting off my bike this evening on the way home - I wanted to pick up a sample of Triassic sandstone in any case ...

The flickr label says venus fly trap.

which is wrong, imo, one thing to consider is that the very first seed leaves can be very different, when compared to the "normal" leaves - which has caught me out before !
Beech seedling would be my guess, not sycamore - the latter are long and narrow.

My eldest daughter and I decided on the way to work/school this morning that our mission this summer was to learn to identify all the major native British trees by sight. We've had a tree/leaf ID book for years but rarely remember to carry it with us. Need to have a trawl through Amazon or similar for another book to complement our leaf ID one. Recommendations gratefully received.

trees070906.jpeg

I got my copy of that from a "curio" shop with a small shelf of books - after having trawled various second-hand / charity shops for several months .................... only paid £1.25 so a bargain.

The main benefit is the size.

I think broad beans are sometimes grown not as a crop, but to fix the nitrogen in the soil.
Sometimes the fields near us that normally have rape in them have broad beans every now and then.
I could, of course, be completely wrong on this :D

Yeah, green fertiliser, I missed that, despite doing it myself ! you grow "field beans" as a crop then "dig in the tops without removing the roots" - at least on the market garden / allotment scale.
On the field scale, I think you just harvest and plough in after the plants have died back, it is a productive alternative to a leaving a field fallow. On a mixed farm you put livestock in to graze the tops directly then the manure produced can also be ploughed in, which gives the land "more heart" - according to family lore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom