Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What is this bush/tree/plant?

In my urban naivete, when I first started going on long cycle rides in the country, I marvelled at all the "sweet corn" that was being grown.
The truth of that was finally settled when a group of us were nearly mown down by a tractor towing a huge trailer full of maize silage in Wales some time later.

Squirrels have been burying peanuts in this tub. This popped up this year but are not peanuts:( Can anyone name them please?
IMG_1250.JPG

Alias "grannies' bonnets" or "columbine" ...
The buttercup family - the whole family slightly to highly toxic - apart from nigella seed (from the wild form of love-in-a-mist) - I bought some recently to try ... but even that is regarded with suspicion by some ...

Interesting - sort of mochi-ish ?

Nah, just dorayaki without the adzuki bean paste which my little sprog did not like at all. The pancakes passed the taste test but I found them boring and nigella seed has a long list of health benefits according to Indian lore. Personally I like the extra taste it adds and lucky for me so does little sprog and mr purdie too.

any idea what the cactus is...bought it as one of three about ten yrs ago in ikea, all an inch or so big, this survived with little help. It stays in unheated lean to all year, but is it meant to trail or is it leaning as its too big for the pot? I have repotted it last year and it kept on trailing, which isn't a problem, I'll just put it in a hanging basket if it is meant to cascade, but is it crying out for help and wants to be upright? Can't find it in any of my books? It's also never flowered, so i want to give it some TLC and watch it flourish but have no idea how to care for it really.

also what is the trailing rosette-y plant, i got one at a school fete a couple of years ago and am over run with them, they tend to go a bit stringy as the trail but the pink flowers once a year are a bonus and is the one on the right an aloe vera?

I never realised the sempervivum was an outdoor plant...will put them in a stone sink that is currently home to a knackered lavender.

IMG_20150717_59630.jpg

Potting up off shoots of what i now know is an aloe aristata. Am going to cosset them for a few weeks then plant outside in a pot. And loving all my homemade compost perhaps more than is normal....filled two old compost bags and two big plastic boxes and it's bloody lovely. That was the whole contents of the green compost bin. So crumbly and gorgeous.IMG_20150717_59630.jpg IMG_20150717_49227.jpg

Anyone know what this is?

There are several of them which have appeared in the garden and I don't know if it's a weed or something cultivated.

ETA: Oh, it's about 40 cm across if that helps to give you an idea of scale

Always a challenge when there are no flowers ...
My first impulse was evening primrose, (Oenothera)but mine don't form compact rosettes like that ...
Google images says perhaps ... and there are alternate forms ..

So basically another willowherb :D

I swear mine had fragrance when I sowed them 30 years ago, but they've lost that and seem so have spread all down the street - perhaps the seeds stuck to me as I brushed past ...

Always a challenge when there are no flowers ...
My first impulse was evening primrose, (Oenothera)but mine don't form compact rosettes like that ...
Google images says perhaps ... and there are alternate forms ..

So basically another willowherb :D
Ah, my neighbour has Evening Primroses in her garden, I think. I'll check to see what the leaves look like.

ETA: I think you're right. The patches where they've come in my garden are close to her garden where she has them.

Last edited:
The odd thing is the seeds are small but hairless so I wonder how they manage to travel.
I wonder if ants spread them ...
Or perhaps birds poop them undigested.

The odd thing is the seeds are small but hairless so I wonder how they manage to travel.
I wonder if ants spread them ...
Or perhaps birds poop them undigested.
She has some right up against her boundary fence and the seedlings are probably between 1.5m and 2m into my garden. One patch is where I dug over the garden intensively to clear all the brambles and bindweed so I could have spread the seeds around a bit without knowing it.

They do produce lots of seeds which scatter fairly wide if the plants get flicked ... somewhere they cultivate them commercially for the oil - so I bet ants do move them around ...
Because my nicotianas failed this year, I couldn't resist potting some up in case a shot of yellow will work out the back somewhere... though that means I'll be reintroducing them there .. and there are still seedlings emerging out the front which I'm leaving for my woolly bear caterpillar .. I feel a bit sad for the slugs too as all they have otherwise is my knackered nicotianas - they must be drugged-up to the eyeballs ...

Ok, I'm fairly sure the first one is horsetail, the others?

Annoyingly the middle one used to grow in my mums garden many years ago before we moved.

_MG_39060537_zpsmlmqepjs.jpg

_MG_39310540_zpswaazr4vg.jpg

_MG_38980531_zpstum6vsg4.jpg

the succulent is probably either echeveria or sempervivum ("houseleek")

Any chance of the third one with more context ?

It looks like it came from a tree .. looks a bit odd - almost as if it's caused by insect damage - like some sort of gall wasp ?

Last edited:
the succulent is probably either echeveria or sempervivum ("houseleek")

Any chance of the third one with more context ?

It looks like it came from a tree .. looks a bit odd - almost as if it's caused by insect damage - like some sort of gall wasp ?

Its from a tree for sure, I'm seeing a lot of them on the floor but can't seem to spot them on the branches, so it might be a specific seed/leaf arrangement

Have a better picture anyway

edit: Got it! These are Hornbeam seeds
http://pulpbits.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Tree-Leaf-Names1.jpg

Attachments

• _MG_38990542.jpg
    _MG_38990542.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom