Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What coffee are you drinking just now?

I can't fault Has Bean, they'be been excellent.
It's just I'm looking at reducing costs - I'm going through a 250g bag every 4 to 5 days.
It's becoming expensive and I'm looking at alternatives.
I'm buying 2 x 250g bags a time to save on delivery but it's still pricey.

Think I'll check out SM - to experiment like.

(yes Algerian place is excellent. I also admire their great selection of white teas but it's more of a treat, or whenever I'm in the Soho area).
Worth looking at the HB packs? £24 for 5 bags, postage included in that? Ime that's just about the cheapest "fresh roast" deal out there. By post, at least, for respectable beans.

Worth looking at the HB packs? £24 for 5 bags, postage included in that? Ime that's just about the cheapest "fresh roast" deal out there. By post, at least, for respectable beans.

I never bothered to click on that!
Why is it called Starter Pack?
Yep, I'll get that next.

This is a great starter pack for those wanting to experience our new range of blends and my favourite single origin at the moment. There are 5 x 250g packs in total:
  • Jailbreak Espresso Blend
  • Blake Espresso Blend
  • Kicker Espresso Blend
  • Jabberwocky Espresso blend
  • Brazil Fazenda Cachoeria

Yep, I'll get that next.

This is a great starter pack for those wanting to experience our new range of blends and my favourite single origin at the moment. There are 5 x 250g packs in total:
  • Blake Espresso Blend
  • Kicker Espresso Blend
That's good value. And it's got my caramelly Brazilian one in with it. I'll give that a go next time too, I think.

Yep, I'll get that next.

• Blake Espresso Blend
  • Kicker Espresso Blend

IMO it's called a starter pack to put regulars off buying it.

I once made the mistake of emailing Steve and telling him I was delighted by the filter pack as it worked out something like £16 cheaper than the top-end individual bags. And that I'd been recommending it all over.

A week later, half the top-end £9-10 bags had been replaced by £4.50 bags :facepalm:

Thanks guys. I bought the M&S Colombian beans. They are quite strong. After experimenting I found that two scoops of beans with the Aeropress filled up with water to the four cup mark gave a nice caramelly taste. 25% discount at the moment, so only £2.59 for 227g. I might get some more next week. I did find that once I had added milk the coffee was only luke warm so I put mug in microwave for 20 seconds to heat it up.
I will try the Union roasted Revelation when I see it - looked it up online and I see that Waitrose stocks it.

Tony C - glad you're enjoying the coffee!
Do you have a French press? Sometime you're able to heat some milk and use it as a frother.

I've ran out of freshly roasted beans.
Bought Illy Espresso Roast.
Nice tin but way too pricey for what it is.. :(,

Tony C - glad you're enjoying the coffee!
Do you have a French press? Sometime you're able to heat some milk and use it as a frother.
Yes I've got a couple of small cafetieres which I used to use for making coffee. I might try using them for frothing heated milk, but probably won't as it means more effort and more washing up, and being lazy I prefer the easiest route - using the microwave.

Edit: Made another mug of coffee using boiling water instead of the recommended 80C and it was ok and hot enough.

Thanks guys. I bought the M&S Colombian beans. They are quite strong. After experimenting I found that two scoops of beans with the Aeropress filled up with water to the six cup mark gave a nice caramelly taste. 25% discount at the moment, so only £2.59 for 227g. I might get some more next week. I did find that once I had added milk the coffee was only luke warm so I put mug in microwave for 20 seconds to heat it up.
I will try the Union roasted Revelation when I see it - looked it up online and I see that Waitrose stocks it.
The Union roasted coffees really are fantastic, can't sing their praises enough. Bit more expensive but seeing as I only have the one coffee a day it works out pretty well.

The Union roasted coffees really are fantastic, can't sing their praises enough. Bit more expensive but seeing as I only have the one coffee a day it works out pretty well.

They are indeed - Sadly, the two places here that sold them have both shifted to another brand recently, which is not so good. :(

Got some Monssoned Malabar today - Quite seriously lovely stuff! :)

:mad: Illy coffee is a scam.
This whole air / nitrogen pressurised tin is just a gimmick cos the beans taste old.
Over 4 shots (ranging from 25 to 30 secs) and they are all like this. Creme is well shit.
So disappointed I paid over £6 for this

They are indeed - Sadly, the two places here that sold them have both shifted to another brand recently, which is not so good. :(

Got some Monssoned Malabar today - Quite seriously lovely stuff! :)
You can buy it online but it works out more expensive (unless you bulk buy your beans and freeze them, which I would do if I could afford to). I've tried the Malabar before and I didn't rate it too high, little bit too acidic for my taste.

I've tried the Malabar before and I didn't rate it too high, little bit too acidic for my taste.

Moonsooned Malabar should be one of the most neutral of all coffees and the medium-roasted one I'm using is not at all acidic. Any chance the roast of yours might have affected things?

Moonsooned Malabar should be one of the most neutral of all coffees and the medium-roasted one I'm using is not at all acidic. Any chance the roast of yours might have affected things?
I didn't brew it myself so that could have been the problem. When I get a spare few quid I'll give it another try, see if it's any better.

Found the Guatemala Maragogype I bought a bit too "soft", so I've been blending it 50/50 with the Nicaraguan Bourbon and it makes a nicely balanced blend ...

Chemistry has just ground some machu picchu (cafe direct). According to the packet that's Arabica.

I have just put a filter coffee machine into our office - it was an old one from home but perfectly functional and, let's be honest, better than Instant Nescafé - the added refinement I've made is that it has one of those permanent filters - which sound ideal but can make an awful lot of mess, especially when the ladies who clean the office are only expecting office waste and not a load of coffee grinds - so I line the permanent filter with a paper filter as well - this seems to slow down the filtering process and gives an acceptable extraction - we also use Coffee Mate as we don't have a milk heating / frothing option and cold milk just makes any drink too cool for my likings - the hot plate on the filter machine keeps the coffee at a perfectly drinkable temperature for ages - yes I know but bear in mind where the bar has been set with Instant - kept warm coffee is not the worst thing in the world

So we're pretty much through our first bag in a week - and I've got a bag of this to go in next week - the measures on the water scale usually indicate 10-12 "cups" of water are being put in and the pre-ground coffee bags recommend a DESSERT spoon of grinds for each cup :eek: - now this sounds an AWFUL LOT OF COFFEE to me - maybe heaped teaspoons but DESSERT SPOONS - that's about 1/3 of a bag of coffee in the morning and the same in the afternoon - I actually end up having about 4-5 cups (and these are NOT big cups) a day and the other 2 coffee drinkers maybe have 4 each - so daily total 12-15 normal cups but the measure on the machine is coming up to 20-24 daily

a DESSERT spoon of grinds for each cup :eek:
I use 25 grammes of beans in my Aeropress - must be at least that much in terms of volume. I dilute to 3/4 of a standard mug.

I know I'm getting all the flavour from my beans because I've tried running hot water through a second time.

At £15 for 500 grammes of posh mail order beans, that's 75p per mug.
I've yet to find a coffee shop or cafe that would make coffee I'm prepared to drink - plus I only drink it at 8am on a weekend - and only the one mug.

I have a very modest lifestyle, but I don't compromise where coffee, tea, wine and beer are concerned - and fruit juice, and bread, and come to that, food in general.

I use 25 grammes of beans in my Aeropress - must be at least that much in terms of volume. I dilute to 3/4 of a standard mug.

I know I'm getting all the flavour from my beans because I've tried running hot water through a second time.

At £15 for 500 grammes of posh mail order beans, that's 75p per mug.
I've yet to find a coffee shop or cafe that would make coffee I'm prepared to drink - plus I only drink it at 8am on a weekend - and only the one mug.

I have a very modest lifestyle, but I don't compromise where coffee, tea, wine and beer are concerned - and fruit juice, and bread, and come to that, food in general.
A man after my own heart. Is 25g in the Aeropress not impossible to plunge? My wrists would snap.

Edit: Actually I guess it depends on how fine a grind you're using. I stick mostly with an espresso grind so I tend to use less beans to make it plunge smoothly.

No problem at all - perhaps my grind is quite coarse ?

On the other hand I'm currently trying to pin down the cause of a mysterious pain in my upper right arm. :hmm:

Incidentally, the scoop is likely to be slightly inaccurate with maragogype beans - they must be 50 percent bigger than any others... I've been using digital scales.

EDIT :-

oops !

maragogype 17g per level scoop, ordinary beans 21g !

So I've probably been using more like 30 grammes per brew.

Either that or my Aldi scales are defective.

Home for a week and forgot I would be drinking coffee and didn't get my order in, so with 4 days left to go and needing 100 grammes of beans, I've had to mix my maragogype and bourbon beans, and horror of horrors only had 70g, so had to open my dire emergency packet of generic Fairtrade south American - which is somewhat over-roasted for my liking.
Surprisingly drinkable considering, but it's probably the caffeine talking. :hmm:

Home for a week and forgot I would be drinking coffee and didn't get my order in, so with 4 days left to go and needing 100 grammes of beans, I've had to mix my maragogype and bourbon beans, and horror of horrors only had 70g, so had to open my dire emergency packet of generic Fairtrade south American - which is somewhat over-roasted for my liking.
Surprisingly drinkable considering, but it's probably the caffeine talking. :hmm:
I do hate it when cheap, run of the mill coffee turns out pretty good, makes me wonder why I spend so much more on ''nicer'' beans etc.

Lavazza rosso made at home in Krups espresso drunk in a cup from a diner in Louisville that's been on Man vs Food.
Black. No sugar.

btw, if you're not doing it already, milk is one way of taking the brutality out of a cup. Some of it, at least. Might be worth trying if you're really struggling to get through a cup (and really want to, for whatever reason!)

Though even milk can struggle against a particularly brutal brew, and can even meld horribly with it to create something utterly gakworthy :D

That's why I need to put 4-5 little mini moos (although I think we have the coffee mate version...) in my cup and 4 sugar packets. It all depends on how long the coffee has been sitting at work. It gets brewed at 8am, and can sit until we close at 6pm. No refills, no exchanges. It sits for everyone - workers and customers. So by half past 2, it gets pretty brutal. And it's Starbucks Breakfast blend from a bag. :facepalm: ::yuk:: That place must waste 100 dollars in coffee a month, because no one drinks it enough and it gets thrown out at the end of the day. It's easier to buy a single cup brewer!

Currently on second cup at home before work. I haven't had a normal cup of brewed coffee at home in 4 years, as we got a second hand Tassimo from a relative, and once we moved, we chucked that and bought a Keurig. So I'm on Maxwell House "House Blend" with peppermint mocha coffee mate creamer. I'll be making a third cup in about 45 minutes to take to work.

Back
Top Bottom